Volquartsen Accurizing Kit - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:11 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Nothing wrong with the VQ trigger, but it isn't free.
Very reasonably priced on their eBay web site - $15 shipped, and its stainless, rather than zinc or other fine pot metal.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:18 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMgr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2527 View Post
Depending on how many rounds have been through your gun the hammer and bushing may be whipped...
I was thinking along similar lines:

Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 AM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
I was thinking along similar lines:

I haven't worn out a hammer or bushing yet and would be astonished if it is even possible to do so.

Any repot of a worn out hammer or bushing would be met with the following :
Old 10-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMgr
News Flash:

The bushing is designed to wear out. The hammer and hammer pin are not. (The bushing is much softer metal.)

The bushing and sear were both worn out when I bought my used MKII. It was one of those where the previous owner(s) appeared to shoot it a LOT and would NEVER clean it. I believe all the powder residue that had worked inside those parts had been acting like sand and had gradually wore the contact surfaces away.

A gun that is kept reasonably clean should never see those parts wear out IMO.

A new VQ sear and Clark bushing/pin set made that sloppy, inconsistent pistol into a wonderful shooter! And I like the pinned OEM (MKII) trigger much better than the VQ trigger I put in my MKIII.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:39 AM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
News Flash:

The bushing is designed to wear out. The hammer and hammer pin are not. (The bushing is much softer metal.)

The bushing and sear were both worn out when I bought my used MKII. It was one of those where the previous owner(s) appeared to shoot it a LOT and would NEVER clean it. I believe all the powder residue that had worked inside those parts had been acting like sand and had gradually wore the contact surfaces away.

A gun that is kept reasonably clean should never see those parts wear out IMO.

A new VQ sear and Clark bushing/pin set made that sloppy, inconsistent pistol into a wonderful shooter! And I like the pinned OEM (MKII) trigger much better than the VQ trigger I put in my MKIII.

Like I said, I've never seen one wear out and all my Mk Series pistolas are kept clean and have Clark kits installed so I ain't buying your news flash.

Of course, that "frictionless" hammer you designed/made would definitely be bullet proof against wear...
Old 10-17-2020, 09:35 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These Volquartsen kits consist of a number of parts that are popular and are often installed together by their respective owners; they're designed to work well together and offer improvements in one form or another.

I purchased a Competition kit for my Mark II, liking the idea of CNC and EDM wire cut manufactured parts that were engineered to work together, along with an extended bolt release to help me operate it since I have weak hand and finger strength - and I'm completely happy with the results.

Noone including Volquartsen is twisting anyone's arm to buy one of their kits, especially since it's no secret that each component included in these kits can be purchased individually if need be. If you just want a trigger that's lighter and offers pre and overtravel adjustments? Then buy just their trigger and sear. 'Want just an extended bolt release? Then buy just an extended bolt release.

To automatically suggest to an individual that the "kit" isn't required everytime the subject comes up isn't being helpful at all; if you have experience with the kit in question or it's components then comment on that - and leave the decision to purchase an entire kit up to the individual.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:25 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
If you just want a trigger that's lighter and offers pre and overtravel adjustments? Then buy just their trigger and sear.
To automatically suggest to an individual that the "kit" isn't required everytime the subject comes up isn't being helpful at all; ...
It can help someone who didn't know the that the lightening of the trigger pull can be achieved for less than $30.

People come to RFC with a wide range in experience and goals. There are people here with dozens of MKIIs as well as people who've just gotten their first and object to the pull weight only.

For my second 22/45, I bought the sear, the compensator (for the better front sight and longer sight radius) and the trigger (which back then was a very wide paddle style trigger). The trigger was junk. The comp was held on by a screw that kept snapping, and I didn't like having to chisel out the lead. The compensator and trigger were sold decades and I still have the pistol with the Ruger trigger.

I also have a MKIII 22/45 with a full MKII kit in it. In that one, Ruger didn't see fit to include the overtravel screw at the top of the top of the trigger, so I was happy to have the VQ trigger in the kit.

I think it is also worth mentioning to people looking to swap out OEM parts that some "improvements" may compromise reliable ignition. TK takes the well proven path to a lighter trigger by offering a lighter mainspring. Could that and or a lighter hammer result in light strikes? I wouldn't mind someone pointing that out to me as I explore my options.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:57 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post

I think it is also worth mentioning to people looking to swap out OEM parts that some "improvements" may compromise reliable ignition. TK takes the well proven path to a lighter trigger by offering a lighter mainspring. Could that and or a lighter hammer result in light strikes? I wouldn't mind someone pointing that out to me as I explore my options.
Yes, a lighter mainspring or a lighter hammer can potentially create light strikes, and it can also affect the velocity in which the bolt or slide works in the action, and in some handguns the latter could be an issue that could cause damage to the gun, but in Ruger MK series pistols that should not be an issue.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:31 AM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Volquartsen accuriszing kit in my Mark IV hunter. It made an incredible difference. The trigger is 1lb 2 oz and has no creep. Instead of the VQ trigger, I used a Tandemkross trigger. However, if you do this, make sure you use the factory plunger and spring (that fits in the top of the trigger).

If you are going the distance of getting the accurizing kit, do yourself a big favor and get either a Volquartsen or Tandemkross extractor . The reliability improvement with either extractor is significant.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 AM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The amount of hammer end play was decreased after I installed the VQ parts. Alot of you have noticed the misalignment between the sear and hammer. A full VQ kit get these parts in much better alignment.

I've seem pics of hammers with very heavy firing pin wear. My meticulously cleaned MkIII hammer had an indentation before I sanded it to a mirror finish.

Looseness starts at the trigger. Add a trigger pin shim, then a VQ trigger, then a trigger bar shim, them a new sear, and all that's left is the hammer.