Carwrenching for own car - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:56 AM
82lo-rollawgn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carwrenching for own car

When I started working on my own car (around the same time I started driving) I used only hand tools and muscle since that's all I had access to. In recent years I've been using more and more cordless power tools for two reasons.
1. I work for a power tool manufacturer and have access to these tools.
2. I'm not as young as I used to be and after crawling around under a car wrenching on the brakes, suspension, etc. for several hours I'm pretty beat.
I will agree with you completely that hand tools give you a much better feel for the torque on the bolt. Impacts are great for busting free hard bolts but I only use them to snug up bolts and always finish tightening with a hand tool. I'm never too concerned about breaking/stripping any bolts when loosening with impacts because it would have probably broke/stripped with a hand tool anyway.
When an impact doesn't fit in a tight spot I go for a powered ratchet. I really like these because you can tighten/loosen by hand and pull the trigger when you need to run the threads in or out. This is a HUGE time saver for me when you have those hard to reach nuts/bolts where you get two clicks with each swing of the ratchet and a long length of thread to run in/out.
That being said, sometimes a power tool just won't fit and I reach for an old fashioned hand ratchet or box wrench.

Last edited by 82lo-rollawgn; 10-18-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not a fan of battery powered anything, but I *really* need to at least get an (air) impact wrench.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:39 AM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
82lo - I hear you - the age thing, the beauty of power tools speeding up the job, all that. And yeah, everything gets hand-torqued.