Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:27 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
Easier gas piston cocking device?

Let's get it out there right away . . . I'm older and not getting any stronger. My Hatsan 87 QE Vortex Air Rifle in .22 cal. hurts my rotator cuff repaired left shoulder and also the right shoulder which is damaged. The gas piston requires 35 lbs. of cocking effort but feels more like 40. I need the power for critters to 35 yards.

I know about extending barrels with suppressor devices but I am looking for a device which can be used just for cocking like a breaker bar on a socket. Anyone make such a thing? I can envision a padded one which slips on the barrel quickly and can be taken off easily. Need some help here. Necessity is the father of invention, they say.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now and then on my airgun forums I'll see someone making a homemade device to reduce cocking effort on a specific gun, but other than adding a moderator to lengthen the barrel, I haven't seen anything commercial.

I'm an old granny, but even when I was younger, I've always had to sit down, brace the butt of the gun on the seat and use both arms to cock my springers. Only exception is my little HW30 which I can cock standing up with one hand. Sitting down and using two hands/arms is not the most convenient way to cock a piston gun, but it's the only way I can shoot my springers. Might be worth a try if you haven't been using two hands. Best of luck.

If that power is important to you, though, the option with the least effort needed is to go PCP with a scuba tank or compressor. That's a whole new ballgame, of course.

Last edited by Rimfiregal; 07-21-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:27 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Interesting question Alum572. I don't see any off the shelf solutions. My first impulse is to suggest moving up to a PCP air rifle but that's expensive and takes some support equipment.

If you're handy you might experiment with welding two pieces of suitable diameter iron pipe together into a "T" configuration and putting round foam pipe insulation into the part that goes over the barrel. It would take some experimentation but might give you the extra leverage you're looking for.

You could do it without welding also, use a pipe "T" with short pieces on each side and a longer piece for the lever screwed into the bottom. A trip to your local Big Box or hardware store might give you some ideas to play with.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2021, 11:15 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
Thanks to both of you for your input. I do cock it with two arms at present but had hoped to find out ideas as the Lt offered. PCP would be great but I can't see spending that much for the occasional critter that needs a permanent warning shot.

The T idea has merit . . . I was thinking a strong steel rod that had the correct bends to make it go over the top of the barrel at the muzzle and then pass down under the barrel close to the pivot. Rubber coated of course. I can envision it but making it is another thing. Thanks for your suggestions. ------\__ .
Old 07-22-2021, 04:03 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Other than what others have said

One technique I have employed on high powered springers and gas rams, is to place the but against ones hip and use both arms to cock the rifle.

It looks a little ungainly but it does help ese the cocking stroke.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:21 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
Thanks. I can make it work w two arms.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:57 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My FWB 124 and 300 are easy to cock, so no problem. A Diana Air King Pro and a HW97 are not so easy. My solution is just shoot them more and build my old muscles up some more.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:09 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What about making a cheater bar out of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe? There is schedule 40 and schedule 80, with the 80 being thicker, but I think the 40 will be strong enough for what you want to do. You can cut it easily with a hacksaw to whatever length you think would be helpful.

Do you still have the front sight installed? You might have to remove it or make an accommodation for it, like a hole in the PVC that the sight can stick up into.

Last edited by bberg7794; 07-26-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
I was thinking of that. The front sight is a concern though. I'll have to check into how it's attached. Would be easy if it had no open sights at all as the scope is a Vortex 2-7x. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:08 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately I cannot see any easy solution for this issue.

From my own experience, higher powered gas ram rifles take more effort to cock.

I have often found that well set up spring rifles such as the HW80 (aka Beeman R1 in the USA) feel easier in use than an equivalent gas ram gun.