Lapua Rimfire Testing Center - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:58 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

The lot I bought didn't test particularly well but it did out shoot my baseline lot by quite a bit. In the end most people get out what they put in. No magic rifle, no magic bullets, just a lot of hard work.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:07 PM
indianajohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Testing Center

My impression from last year was that a part time person is needed to reply to phone calls, answer Emails, etc. Luke is a busy guy. When I was there it was the week of the Ohio junior trapshooting championship. Lots of kids driving around in golf carts with very expensive shotguns. I've never seen so many nice shotguns in one place.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:22 PM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
vlnbyr

I can't disagree with anything you've said hard work pays off but if they won't answer the phone and I can't try lots/can's get in line I have no work to do. May I assume you tested that lot and took some with you to try outdoors before buying? My point is testing indoors won't show you what it will do outside in another rifle.

I'm repeating myself but I still much prefer buying test lots and shooting on a rest and rifle that I know. That method has gone away and isn't coming back. Of course I can always buy secondarily from someone who has gone through the center. Buying second hand has never paid off for me but I'm willing to try.

Sorry if this sounds like whining and it probably does but I'm just responding to the discussion at hand though I have carried it far enough. Best of luck to you and the OP who should have different points of view upon which to form an opinion. I'm off to lighten the trigger in my factory rifle and look for a 24x scope. It's what intrigues me at the moment.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:16 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Didn't take ammo with me, didn't know you could. Didn't test outdoors. The test lot was better than my baseline lot that's all I cared about. Good ammo is good ammo, it will shoot indoors and outdoors, morning, noon, and night.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:26 PM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My last lot measured a little worse than my baseline inside but it would go all over the place outside. It would go sailing on the slightest of breeze. And that was the best testing that day perhaps 11.5 or 12 millimeter group of ten but I'd have to look to be sure. I let some others try it and they didn't want it either. Certain ammo in my experience will react differently to varying conditions such as wind and temperature/humidy maybe it's not "good ammo". Ammo is one of the greatest variables in this game it's why shooters take multiple lots to the bench.

Last edited by jqunac; 07-21-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:05 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I apologize

I apologize to the staff and members of RFC for bringing the subject of the Ohio Test Center up.

Over 1.5 months of trying to even get a email to acknowledge that I even exist, I have given up the hope that a trip to the Ohio Test Center will ever happen. I was wanting to try to up my chances of getting ammo that would shoot well in my gun. I guess I will have to continue to play the ammo lottery.

My only email that received a response:

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 2:39 PM, Capstone Precision Group <[email protected]> wrote:
You have received a new message via the contact us form on the Capstone Precision Group website.

Form submitted at http://capstonepg.com/contact/

To: Shooter Services <[email protected]>
Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: xxx xxx xxxx

Message Body:
I would like to know if your company is still running the Lapua Rimfire Testing Center in Ohio? I have been trying to get in touch with someone to set up a few rifles for testing. Everything I have tried, no response. This has been going on for 3 weeks now.

Chuck Phelps

The one response I received:

7-1-2021

Chuck,
We have been having issues with communication with the OHIO test center . These are being addressed . I have emailed LUKE for you.

Take care,
Philip Hoham
Technical Support
Capstone Precision Group, LLC

So if I am reading this right even the home office is not having any luck communicating with the people in Ohio. If they do not have any ammo just tell me, I will understand. Or maybe I am not judged worthy of testing my gun with them.

As you can probably tell I am frustrated.

chuck40219
Old 07-21-2021, 07:49 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Didn't take ammo with me, didn't know you could. Didn't test outdoors. The test lot was better than my baseline lot that's all I cared about. Good ammo is good ammo, it will shoot indoors and outdoors, morning, noon, and night.
I agree 100% good will shoot good under any conditions. as you know the total package has to be capable to see the benefits of good lots.

If the lot tested indoors, can't shoot the same outdoors probably not the ammo.
or the selection was made in haste.

as you know you have to have a baseline of what you are looking to best.

Lee
Old 07-21-2021, 07:54 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck40219 View Post
I apologize to the staff and members of RFC for bringing the subject of the Ohio Test Center up.

Over 1.5 months of trying to even get a email to acknowledge that I even exist, I have given up the hope that a trip to the Ohio Test Center will ever happen. I was wanting to try to up my chances of getting ammo that would shoot well in my gun. I guess I will have to continue to play the ammo lottery.

My only email that received a response:

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 2:39 PM, Capstone Precision Group <[email protected]> wrote:
You have received a new message via the contact us form on the Capstone Precision Group website.

Form submitted at http://capstonepg.com/contact/

To: Shooter Services <[email protected]>
Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: xxx xxx xxxx

Message Body:
I would like to know if your company is still running the Lapua Rimfire Testing Center in Ohio? I have been trying to get in touch with someone to set up a few rifles for testing. Everything I have tried, no response. This has been going on for 3 weeks now.

Chuck Phelps

The one response I received:

7-1-2021

Chuck,
We have been having issues with communication with the OHIO test center . These are being addressed . I have emailed LUKE for you.

Take care,
Philip Hoham
Technical Support
Capstone Precision Group, LLC

So if I am reading this right even the home office is not having any luck communicating with the people in Ohio. If they do not have any ammo just tell me, I will understand. Or maybe I am not judged worthy of testing my gun with them.

As you can probably tell I am frustrated.

chuck40219
Chuck,

No need to apologize, I think your post is giving an idea of what to expect at the current situation.
something to think about, there is a virus out there. I noticed nobody on different forms have mentioned they recently tested at the Ohio center, recently being in the last 2-months.

Mesa seems to be open and accepting test reservations.

Lee
Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 PM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi-NV Shooter

I have a lot that will shoot 2400 in cold windy conditions in hot summer calm it may shoot 2250. I guess I don't shoot well in hot calm conditions and all this time I just figured it liked cooler weather. Huh, you learns so much on the internets.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:19 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqunac View Post
Hi-NV Shooter

I have a lot that will shoot 2400 in cold windy conditions in hot summer calm it may shoot 2250. I guess I don't shoot well in hot calm conditions and all this time I just figured it liked cooler weather. Huh, you learns so much on the internets.
Well I shoot in mid 30's to 100+ degrees. I have a lot that has shot 250's in mid-30's and in 100+ degree weather. all from the same rifle.
my best 3 card was 748-55X done in Feb. my second best 745-51X in June same lot and rifle. I would have to say my rifle and lot work good in any conditions.

By the way, every lot I tested at Lapua and bought, when I got home I was able to best the center test group.
one lot CX1117 did 11.68mm at the center, outdoors at my club range I shot a 20-shot group of 9.22mm.

I don't test my rifles like they normally do at the center.

just so you know i am not no key board shooter!

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 07-21-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lee, from the test what I see at the test center and home is no low left. low center and maybe a round or so low right. interesting. marty
Old 07-21-2021, 09:06 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnest View Post
Lee, from the test what I see at the test center and home is no low left. low center and maybe a round or so low right. interesting. marty
Marty,

The 11.68 group was shot with a mid barrel tuner on. at home I took it off and came in on the tuner by 50 so from 90 to 25 this is with a 4.35 oz tuner. and I shot that 20-shot group.

The 11mm group was for the first 5 shots under 7mm at shot 8 it was still under 10mm shot 9 took it to 10.30 and shot 10 went 11mm. as you can see Dan the test manager was touching the rifle so he believes it shifted the last 3 shots
100m was 20.88mm and looking at the group it may very well had been shifting form side to side

Lee
Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Marty,

The 11.68 group was shot with a mid barrel tuner on. at home I took it off and came in on the tuner by 50 so from 90 to 25 this is with a 4.35 oz tuner. and I shot that 20-shot group.

The 11mm group was for the first 5 shots under 7mm at shot 8 it was still under 10mm shot 9 took it to 10.30 and shot 10 went 11mm. as you can see Dan the test manager was touching the rifle so he believes it shifted the last 3 shots
100m was 20.88mm and looking at the group it may very well had been shifting form side to side

Lee
Lee, any scope adjustments. marty
forgot, what is the es? thanks marty

Last edited by earnest; 07-21-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:45 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnest View Post
Lee, any scope adjustments. marty
Marty,

If you are asking about at the test center, their are no actual target only electronic screens.

The outdoor target I did not make any scope adjustments. if I ever make an adjustment on the scope. it is usually after I am sure the setting will keep shots center or right of center. I learned never make adjustments for shots left, the tuner will adjust for that.

The rifle in the picture has not had the turner adjusted since 2015 or 2016 it is at 90 and has been for every lot I have tested since it was set. and no scope adjustments are needed.
es? not sure what you are asking. wait es box speed? #1117 =329mps so 1079 my best lot is 326 -1069 the rifles can shoot both with no adjustments of any kind.

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 07-21-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:30 PM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Well I shoot in mid 30's to 100+ degrees. I have a lot that has shot 250's in mid-30's and in 100+ degree weather. all from the same rifle.
my best 3 card was 748-55X done in Feb. my second best 745-51X in June same lot and rifle. I would have to say my rifle and lot work good in any conditions.

By the way, every lot I tested at Lapua and bought, when I got home I was able to best the center test group.
one lot CX1117 did 11.68mm at the center, outdoors at my club range I shot a 20-shot group of 9.22mm.

I don't test my rifles like they normally do at the center.

just so you know i am not no key board shooter!

Lee
My posting scores wasn't intended to start a swinging door contest. I'm just relating some characteristics of the only lot of ammo I have. It shoots okay in warm weather and it shoots great in cooler weather and I can't get in to the testing center and if I did the lot selection isn't too great right now and I'd rather be able to buy test lots and test outside but that ain't coming back. I'm sure contradictory statements will follow, yawn.