Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:18 PM
Arman4461
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA-22 Misfires

Hello folks,
Wondering if someone can tell me which spring I need to get to improve the firing pin’s force, in order to eliminate my new rifle’s failure to ignite primers. NUMRICH has springs, but evidently this rifle has no hammer spring, if I can believe their schematic.
It does have a firing pin spring, and a Sear spring, as well as a Trigger spring. I typically purchase a complete set of springs for a new-to-me firearm, but I would like to know which spring actually gives the firing pin it’s force. I assume that the firing pin spring is the item, but that is just a guess.
Thanks for your knowledge!
Old 07-22-2021, 02:25 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Striker fired. By the FP spring. If you are having light strikes , prolly not the spring, probably the FP, or most likely you just donít have the the barrel in tight enough. That could be you,but most likely the little detents arnt holding. Either worn , or bad springs there, or worst of all the ridges they grip are worn.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:53 AM
Arman4461

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FTF

Toomany22s-
Thanks for the ideas. The gun is NOS from 1985. I have now pulled the trigger group and cleaned & oiled it. The barrel is in as tight as can be. I had to pull the trigger group to see why the schematic didnít show a hammer. Quite surprised at the design. Just another example of a genius at work. Imagine what he could have done with a computer and CNC.
Iíll pull the firing pin and verify it is not being slowed by flashing or burrs. The gun shot RWS sporadically, but set off GECO semi-auto better. When it worked, it was quite accurate, so it made me decide to leave it as an Iron sight gun. A fiber optic front would improve target contrast. I see that Midwest Guns has the sights and quite a selection of parts, so Iíll hit them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2021, 05:56 AM
HIghstandardguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Also make sure the striker's passage in the bolt is clean and the striker moves freely.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:59 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Because of the design, a lot of burnt powder accumulates on the front of the bolt and may get into the firing pin cut out. I usually soak the entire bolt assembly in mineral spirits to clean it and scrub the front of the bolt with an old toothbrush.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:41 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
A NOS 36 y.o. gun is most likely gummed up. I assume that you've q-tipped the firing pin hole.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:44 PM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These fellas on here really know these guns and the advice they gave hopefully fixes it. I will just add if your gonna buy parts I would buy another firing pin as well.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:53 PM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh I just read toomany22 already suggested the firing pin.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman4461 View Post
Toomany22s-
Thanks for the ideas. The gun is NOS from 1985. I have now pulled the trigger group and cleaned & oiled it. The barrel is in as tight as can be. I had to pull the trigger group to see why the schematic didnít show a hammer. Quite surprised at the design. Just another example of a genius at work. Imagine what he could have done with a computer and CNC.
Iíll pull the firing pin and verify it is not being slowed by flashing or burrs. The gun shot RWS sporadically, but set off GECO semi-auto better. When it worked, it was quite accurate, so it made me decide to leave it as an Iron sight gun. A fiber optic front would improve target contrast. I see that Midwest Guns has the sights and quite a selection of parts, so Iíll hit them up.
The barrel can be tight, but still be out of adjustment. It can have too much of a gap between the end of the barrel and the end of the cartridge guide in the receiver. That can cause you problems, like the one you described. See the discussion around 4:55 into the video:
Art's Gun Shop SA-22 Disassembly/Assembly Video