Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
What Could Be Wrong?

I recently took my first-generation Charger out of the laminate stock that it came in and dropped it into a PMACA chassis.

I also replaced the trigger with a BX-25 trigger and swapped the factory tapered barrel for a KIDD 6" threaded barrel.

I assumed that the combo would produce good, if not great accuracy.

Today was the first day that I took it out.

I replaced the factory bipod with an Atlas bipod for a solid fit with no wiggle.

I also put a Bushnell 4.5-18 AR Optics scope on it. I've found these scopes to be a good, low priced option that is clear and tracks well.

Placing the grip on a rear bag, and later, putting the rear bag under the brace, I am less than impressed.

I had SK Standard Plus and Center-X with me, as both of those shoot well in the other .22's I had with me. I've also traditionally had good success with those rounds in nearly every .22 I've shot them in.

At 50 yards, I got groups that averaged 2 - 3 inch groups. There were random flyers going way high, the next round way low and the subsequent rounds flying all over the paper.

I got the same results with both Center-X and the SK.

I also got the same results with my suppressor on...and off.

I've made sure everything is tight, including the action screw, scope base, scope rings etc...

Am I being unrealistic that the Charger should produce better results, especially with the KIDD barrel?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-22-2021, 04:22 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd start by installing a "gunsmither" barrel block. It'll hold your barrel straight so it free floats in your new chassis.

Post #2 provides a link to purchase one.
Post #1 covers the barrel mod to work with the block (if needed).

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=438345
Old 07-22-2021, 09:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Probably not barrel droop. So a Gunsmither block imho isnt going to solve much. 6 inches to free float , i think thats pretty easy to determine .
And the free float might just be the problem , the barrel might need deadening .

Or, Id guess its the bolt, fp , recoil spring combo that your using just dont play well with a 6 inch Barrel.

Also , you might try some HV bulk ammo, it just might shoot better out of a 6 inch barrel than the hi grade SV ammo you are using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2021, 02:35 PM
TXNimrod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

That’s terrible accuracy for the combo, but the OP made too many changes at the same time to diagnose the problem from afar. He needs to narrow down the changes. Assuming that the action fit in the chassis is tight and even, I would replace the barrel with the factory original. Rare that a KIDD barrel would be bad, but whatever is causing the poor accuracy it isn’t barrel droop (6” barrel) etc. At least this test is cheap and relatively easy, and would eliminate one major cause of poor accuracy.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does it have a single takedown screw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Probably not barrel droop. So a Gunsmither block imho isnt going to solve much. 6 inches to free float , i think thats pretty easy to determine .
And the free float might just be the problem , the barrel might need deadening .

Does the charger have the same reciever type as 10/22? And does it have just 1 takedown screw?

I have heard 10/22 should NOT be free floated.

Or, Id guess its the bolt, fp , recoil spring combo that your using just dont play well with a 6 inch Barrel.

Also , you might try some HV bulk ammo, it just might shoot better out of a 6 inch barrel than the hi grade SV ammo you are using.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try SK Pistol Match (not Special) ammo.

You may not believe this, but that ss 6" KIDD barrel that I sold to a friend of mine now pings plates (double tap) out to 200 yards.

I personally had no trouble pinging 4" plates with it out to a hundred yards with just a red dot.

Once I figured out the hold, I never missed, but I would when I used CCI SV ammo.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 AM
lasnyder
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
in the mid 90's I shot the Chevy Team Challenge with a full size 10/22... I was plagued with first round fliers that was traced to the firing pin having too much vertical motion
Old 07-25-2021, 12:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I would make sure your barreled action is solid in the chassis with no teetering up and down or side to side. This seems to be the most common problem anytime you change to a new stock/chassis.

If you don't have a rock solid fit then you don't have any consistency shot to shot. And consistency equals accuracy.