Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:05 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
H001L refinish project

I'm stuck sitting around the house for the next couple of weeks with a busted up ankle. I've got an H001L that I picked up a few months ago, and figured I'd spend a little time and money to make it little more to my liking.

Already mounted a sling on it, and a barrel mounted peep from Skinner. The barrel peep hasn't achieved what I wanted so I've got a receiver mounted peep on the way.

Next part is to strip the paint off the receiver and barrel band in a bit to try the faux case hardened look with some oxpho blue.

Citristrip taking it off in no time...

Last edited by RedShift556; 07-20-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:08 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Old 07-20-2021, 06:11 PM
Bin
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yea, this will be interesting. What did you use to strip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2021, 06:19 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin View Post
Yea, this will be interesting. What did you use to strip.
I used Citristrip, 95% of the paint came off within minutes....I've spent the better part of the past two hours reapplying and scrubbing to get the last 5% off. The paint on the inside of the receiver and underside of the tang is really on there

The barrel band was a lot more resistant to the citrstrip but acetone softened it up pretty well.

Might go to the store tomorrow and look for a better paint stripper if I can't get the rest off.

Last edited by RedShift556; 07-20-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:38 PM
jac54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:07 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well here it is after the cold blue and a light coat of CLP. Not exactly what I was hoping for. The posts that inspired me were from 10+ years ago...hard to say why I didn't get the amount of colors and patterns that they did. Perhaps the ZAMAK has changed a little or varies from batch to batch or it was the type of cold blue that I used.

Not sure if I'll run with it, apply more, or strip it and retry. Opinions welcome.

Last edited by RedShift556; 07-21-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:43 PM
willscary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like it. It sort of looks color case hardened.

Edit: I'd like to see the stock refinished. It looks like it might be great wood under the stain!
Old 07-22-2021, 06:54 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't really see the color case hardened finish that I think you are looking for. However, your new finish has done away with the "orange peel" finish that was originally on the receiver and now your rifle has kind of an aged look, which is a good thing.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:32 PM
Bin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking at old posts where others have done this they took a Q tip and rolled it around to get different effects and colors. I donít have a Henry to try this on yet. You could hit it again for a blue blue or strip and try again. Check out some of the old posts.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:24 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscary View Post
I like it. It sort of looks color case hardened.

Edit: I'd like to see the stock refinished. It looks like it might be great wood under the stain!
I agree, I've been contemplating refinishing the wood since I bought it. I might have to go through with it now that I'm pretty deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin View Post
Looking at old posts where others have done this they took a Q tip and rolled it around to get different effects and colors. I don’t have a Henry to try this on yet. You could hit it again for a blue blue or strip and try again. Check out some of the old posts.
I couldn't get the qtip method to work right. I've found that cutting the bluing with water does seem to help bring out more colors and it keeps the cold blue from evaporating too fast. I've found that the way in which pressure is applied and the way the solution evaporates is what causes the different colors and patterns.

I wound up stripping the first attempt and here are a couple more. I keep experimenting with different application methods...hoping to come out with a unique and aesthetically pleasing result one of these times. The top two pics look pretty decent but I got way more blue on the right side. Of course the barrel band came out great on attempt #1 with no effort.

Last edited by RedShift556; 07-22-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:53 PM
jht22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let's see what that looks like on the gun! All I did with mine is strip it and buff the snot out of it, then applied a clear. I'd hate to see you strip the stock, but I can't stop you. I'm watching this! Good Luck
Old 07-22-2021, 04:46 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I still haven't gotten a seal of approval from the girlfriend, but I think I'm happy with how this came out. I'm having a hard time with getting good pics to really show all the colors. It looks better to the naked eye. If I do refinish the wood, I think I'll strip the frame too so that I can cold blue the exposed bottom part of it to match the receiver.

Next step is to clear coat it with some automotive matte clear coat to help protect it from scratches and preserve it's current look. This ZAMAK is really soft, it sure doesn't take much to scratch it and is probably part of the reason than the standard finish is thick black paint or the plating.

Also got some parts in from Skinner today.

Last edited by RedShift556; 07-22-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:06 PM
jht22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks cool, I say do the screw heads to blend it all in.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:48 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Not a bad look at all!
Old 07-22-2021, 10:31 PM
Bin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking pretty good.