2021 Marmota Monax - Groundhog, Woodchuck, Whistle Pig Thread - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:17 PM
Hogan1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks, Happy to hear the skunk smell is gone. Luckily we havenít had to deal with that for several years now.

Forgot to mention all the latest were with the WSM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2021, 04:18 AM
e40
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Haven't seen a one. Guess I did too good a job last year. I know they'll be back eventually.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:53 AM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e40 View Post
Haven't seen a one.
I haven't seen any lately, either. Which is strange, since we cut our hay the first of this month and they're normally out roaming around in the new-cut grass. I've not even seen any sign of a den, etc. Me and the Deuce must've done for all of 'em.

Mac
Old 07-23-2021, 06:13 AM
e40
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmac View Post
I haven't seen any lately, either. Which is strange, since we cut our hay the first of this month and they're normally out roaming around in the new-cut grass. I've not even seen any sign of a den, etc. Me and the Deuce must've done for all of 'em.

Mac
It sucks being good! Ha ha!

We didn't cut our orchard grass this year, just too full of weeds to make it worthwhile for us. So, I am getting ready to cut it just to cut it. After I finished the piece of high ground set aside yesterday (rotary mower), I took a pass along the ditch so as not to run the haybine into it and found a den I had not seen before, but it is really thick so no surprise. So maybe I can hold out hope for one to set up on.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just 'cause you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there. It gets a lot harder to see their activity when the cover is high.

The soy is four feet tall now. Only Eika's nose knows they've been in there. Every once in a while she'll flush one out. I am lucky to catch a glimpse of their dashes into the woodline. Even if I carried my 12g there would be less than a second to get on target, track, and shoot.

Staking out known runs is the surer way to catch them pausing on some clover. I just don't enjoy ambush hunting. I much prefer to walk and keep my eyes open in an attempt to see them way off in distance and then attempt a stalk into high probability ranges.

Last edited by Bradical; 07-23-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:43 AM
e40
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Just 'cause you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there. It gets a lot harder to see their activity when the cover is high.

The soy is four feet tall now. Only Eika's nose knows they've been in there. Every once in a while she'll flush one out. I am lucky to catch a glimpse of their dashes into the woodline. Even if I carried my 12g there would be less than a second to get on target, track, and shoot.

Stacking out known runs is the surer way to catch them pausing on some clover. I just don't enjoy ambush hunting. I much prefer to walk and keep my eyes open in an attempt to see them way off in distance and then attempt a stalk into high probability ranges.
Most of the holes I know of are in the woods line around corn fields. If they don't move to a hay or bean field, there is plenty for them to eat along the edge where they are, so I suspect they are out very little or for very long. When I mow the hay field and the set aside ground, I might find quite a few, most of these areas haven't been touched in over a year, some, two years.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 AM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
So maybe I can hold out hope for one to set up on.
I have a large brushpile in the edge of the hayfield, and there's been a den under there ever since I can remember. There are also a couple dens around the edge of the woods/ creek. Used to be, I saw groundhogs every time we finished cutting hay. Finally said "enough" and staked them out with the triple deuce and got several. Unfortunately, I think I got 'em all since I've not seen a one since this spring. I admit, he ate right good and I'm hoping he'll have some kin to come back and let me shoot this fall or next spring.

Mac
Old 07-23-2021, 12:07 PM
flyingsquirrel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
My beagles got another one yesterday. Glad it wasn't too big or they might have came out bloody. They work well together and wait for an opening and jump in and start shaking.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:42 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should think a couple of beagles on even a big groundhog should be okay. Any of them do have sharp teeth though that could do some damage if they get the chance. They click them rapidly as a warning when cornered. As a pup a big one took a nick out of Eika's front chin. She's hasn't been touched since, but she doesn't hesitate anymore either - see groundhog, kill groundhog, fetch.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Most of the holes I know of are in the woods line around corn fields. If they don't move to a hay or bean field, there is plenty for them to eat along the edge where they are, so I suspect they are out very little or for very long. When I mow the hay field and the set aside ground, I might find quite a few, most of these areas haven't been touched in over a year, some, two years.
I have seen them run across 200+ yards of field. Food, sex, territory? Yup, probably. If they are in the area sooner or later they will make their way to good habitat. Sure they do tend to stay with a well established den, but the pups will get pushed out and have to find new places.

Natural predator's could be impacting your area. Both fox and coyote love to munch on groundhogs. Raptors will take them when they are small enough.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:20 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
She's hasn't been touched since, but she doesn't hesitate anymore either - see groundhog, kill groundhog, fetch.
Similar thing happened with my Sam when she was young, except it was a 'coon instead of a groundhog. Now, she has an intense dislike of most all fuzzy critters... except the cats. And who can blame her? They sleep in her doghouse during the winter and keep her warm!

Mac
Old 07-26-2021, 09:38 PM
Hogan1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got number 28 this evening. Would have 29 but only recovery was a red streak going down the hole. I only add to the tally with a recovered carcass. Anyway, 28 was at the same spot next to a shed as the two from the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2021, 10:39 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now a racoon, that'd have me worried. They have been known to really tear dogs up and even kill them. Your Sam is lucky it was only a small wound.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:45 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan1 View Post
Got number 28 this evening. Would have 29 but only recovery was a red streak going down the hole. I only add to the tally with a recovered carcass. Anyway, 28 was at the same spot next to a shed as the two from the other day.

That's a big one.

I was just about to have one in my sights tonight at about 157 yards. But the bugger never re-appeared after I set my shooting position up. I must have spooked it.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:43 AM
Hogan1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That's a big one.

I was just about to have one in my sights tonight at about 157 yards. But the bugger never re-appeared after I set my shooting position up. I must have spooked it.

Yeah, if the grass gets a little on the tall side it is frustrating when they drop down and disappear. It is amazing how far they can see. The first sign of danger from across a field and they are on the run.