Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:03 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Project Appleseed and the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22

In Project Appleseed, student safety is paramount. We recognize and appreciate the effort that Smith & Wesson has made with their M&P 15-22 safety alert. The M&P 15-22 rifles will again be allowed for use at Project Appleseed clinics, effective August 1st, 2021. We urge every 15-22 owner to read and comply with the instructions contained in the following links before attending a Project Appleseed rifle clinic:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/d...ert_030619.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJO0gJRmc_c

S&W has graciously sent us Bolt Inspection Gauges for the M&P 15-22 and we are issuing them to event leaders in the field. Project Appleseed will strive to have a Bolt Inspection Gauge available for 15-22 owners to check their bolts at our clinics. If a rifle fails the gauge test, we will offer a loaner rifle where legal & available
Old 07-21-2021, 10:20 AM
mkprz
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's good news!
Old 07-21-2021, 04:11 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I owned one of these S&W's, it was a fine little rifle, never a problem. Didn't know there was a problem until after I sold it.

Last edited by MacGhillemohr; 07-21-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 11:11 AM
RogerKipwell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
I owned one of these S&W's, it was a fine little rifle, never a problem. Didn't know there was a problem until after I sold it.
They sent me one the gauges, my two rifles were fine.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:00 AM
cyphertext
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good job Appleseed…. That bolt inspection tool has only been available for 2 years!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Rusty914
US Army Veteran GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cyphertext,

Let's review.

- Appleseed observed multiple issues with the 15-22 rifle.
- A lady was injured on our lines due to the 15-22.
- We engaged S&W with our concerns. The NSSF did as well.
- A couple years later, S&W published a safety alert.
- We watched and waited to see how the safety review worked out.
- Once satisfied the safety alert addressed the issue that injured our student, we began the process to return the rifle to the line.

The Appleseed leadership team did what was reasonable and prudent. We are happy that S&W looked into things, gathered data, and took decisive action. That's awesome.

The safety of students on the Appleseed line is our highest priority. We take that seriously (and personally) as our own family members and friends join us on the line. We'll continue to act in the best interest of our students. No need to be hasty to appease a few fans of any particular piece of equipment. Safety, not brand loyalty, is what's important. And I say this as an owner of several fine S&W firearms.

By the way, I recall you were banned from the Appleseed forum for let's just say... ungentlemanly and argumentative posts surrounding this particular topic. That was unfortunate.

I hope my reply resolves any concerns you might have.

Be well.

Rusty
National Coordinator & Master Instructor

P.S. rwadley - thanks for sharing this news. I appreciate your ambassadorship, sir. Good job!
Old 07-30-2021, 08:28 AM
cyphertext
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I was banned, but not for being “ungentlemanly”…. Some folks in your organization do not like to reflect inward and accept any responsibility for that injury. Yes, the M&P 15 had an OOB detonation, but as I have stated previously, that can happen with any firearm and is quite common with .22lr. That part is not Appleseed’s fault. But for a shard of brass expelled from the ejection port to cause an injury, your shooters are too close together on the firing line and/or not wearing the appropriate attire for protection (long sleeves). Your organization can control those two things. When an accident happens, a responsible organization reviews the incident and takes ALL steps to mitigate the risk of a similar accident happening in the future. By banning the firearm, Appleseed mitigated the risk from the M&P 15-22, but no steps were taken to mitigate the risk of a similar incident happening with a different brand of firearm. Maybe your organization has but won’t state so publicly due to fear of litigation, but since they wouldn’t discuss it we don’t know.

This not the opinion of a S&W fan boy, although I do like that rifle. This is the opinion of a rifle, pistol, and shotgun instructor as well as range safety officer who works with different youth organizations and their shooting sports programs.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I can understand a bolt that fails a depth gauge test causing a slamfire. Why would that cause an OOB?
Old 07-30-2021, 09:25 AM
RogerKipwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I can understand a bolt that fails a depth gauge test causing a slamfire. Why would that cause an OOB?
The relief in the bolt face for the case head was an RCH too small. It could squeeze the rim hard enough to fire the round before the bolt was 100% closed. Or so I was told.