Any benefit to shoot precision at 25 yards? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:52 PM
ventura805

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any benefit to shoot precision at 25 yards?

I recently relocated to DFW (North of Dallas, Texas) and I was quite surprised at the limited options for outdoor shooting here on public ranges. I'm not going to complain ..well...because I've been told that its frowned upon to do so (Texans are very nice people) and no one will really care anyways.

At any rate, I do have the option to shoot near my house at a local competitive handgun range but the caveat is that the largest bay they have is 30 yards. I have a Vudoo and like to shoot for precision. If I regularly shoot .5" - .75" (outside to outside, not center to center with occasionally better and occasionally worse) at 50 yards with my Vudoo, is there any point to practicing with that rifle at 25 or 30 yards? I still very much wish to improve and I am concerned that at 25 yards the groups will hide how well\poorly I am shooting. I have not shot for precision at 25 yards before so I am speculating on how much value there is to shooting with a precision rifle like a Vudoo at 25 yards but I imagine the groups will simply be to tight to reveal my flaws.

I would love to get feedback from you guys that shoot for precision on the value of shooting at 25 to 30 yards. For what its worth, if any of you shoot in the Dallas area then please let me know. I am new here and would love to connect with 22lr precision shooters.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:03 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Switch to offhand shooting. You will get better. The more you practice at it, Like anything else, you will improve. Try a sling.

And day shooting is a good day!
Old 07-15-2021, 06:19 PM
ventura805

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Switch to offhand shooting. You will get better. The more you practice at it, Like anything else, you will improve. Try a sling.

And day shooting is a good day!
That's totally fair and I completely agree with you (I did a couple of Appleseed events and loved them), but I also want to improve shooting for maximum precision through traditional prone shooting and I am not sure that shooting prone (which I very much enjoy) will yield in much improvement at 25 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2021, 07:21 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the book, marksmanship fundamentals by Pseudonym Sniper

greatly improved my shooting. i always recommend this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2021, 07:41 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Anytime behind the trigger is going to make your shooting better. Just shooting live rounds and getting accustomed to the trigger pull and cheek weld.

That being said, your right that shooting at that distance will cover up most potential inconsistencies in the gun, ammo, and even the shooter.

Most 22lr rifles are going to shoot pretty well at that short of a distance even with most bulk ammo.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:53 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
is there any point to practicing with that rifle at 25 or 30 yards?
There is IF you pick very windy days, especially when the winds are variable in speed and/or direction.

You have shown that you can shoot good groups, now you have to learn how to shoot those in less than perfect conditions.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:29 PM
ventura805

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Most 22lr rifles are going to shoot pretty well at that short of a distance even with most bulk ammo.
I was afraid of this. I'll make the best of what I have but it is a bit of a bummer. I don't have to explain to any of you guys about the zen and therapy that comes from shooting prone for precision.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you’re shooting nra bullseyes, you can get scaled down targets for various distances. I know there is a 50-foot target that is like shooting at a 50-yard target. You won’t be dealing as much with things like wind at the shorter distance but you are still practicing everything else like the sight picture etc.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Sending PM from another DFW transplant

https://www.quailcreekrange.com/

https://elmfork.com/

There are several RFC members that belong to Arlington Sportsman's Club. I've considered joining but it's a little far for me

https://www.arlingtonsportsman.com/

Last edited by PWNolan; 07-15-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:00 PM
ventura805

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
Sending PM from another DFW transplant

https://www.quailcreekrange.com/

https://elmfork.com/

There are several RFC members that belong to Arlington Sportsman's Club. I've considered joining but it's a little far for me

https://www.arlingtonsportsman.com/
Many thanks!
Old 07-17-2021, 04:44 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you sight in a 25 with a scope it will be pretty close to right on at 75 and a little low at 100. Trigger time, fun time, relax time and stop worrying time is never a waste. The closer the range, the smaller the target you should be able to hit reliably. Old timers talked about shooting and lighting matches with open sights on their old Winchester and Remington rifles.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:30 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our local range is only 20m so thats what I have learnt to shoot competitive bench rest.
The targets are relevant to the distance and difficult to be supper competitive which require all the elements to shoot and score well as the longer distances with the exception of wind reading at the diferent distances.
There has been exceptional value shooting at 20m and I compete well at the longer distances although there is more improvement in my ability to score exceptionally at 50 and 90m.
On the same token I'll happily compete against a top 50m shooter at 20m and back myself to win.

THERE IS GREAT VALUE IN SHOOTING AT 25 YARDS WITHOUT A DOUBT.