Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Available after market 10/22 barrels?

52K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  RCGuy50 
#1 · (Edited)
Where is the sticky listing for after market 10/22 barrels? Already know about the Kidd, Lilja, VQ, GM, Feddersen, Clark, Shilen, just to name a few that make (or did make) barrels. I am not aware of them all, perhaps some of the members could help with a list, and perhaps up to date prices. Might also help to also list the cleaning procedures from the barrel maker, type of brush or no brush, or solvent recommended. Inquiring minds want to know. :eek: AH

#29 ·
Lots of options out there depending on your needs in a barrel, looks, color, style, weight, size and what you expect to get out of the barrel and what you are going to do with it. One person that could provide information as far as performance (benchrest accuracy) would be joechaconiii. Joe is currently building custom 10/22 benchrest guns (ABRA)and has test many different brands and length barrels along with cleaning methods. Maybe Joe or Lisa will read this and post some real world findings that some may get some value from.

Paul

#42 ·
Paul you are absolutely correct. We have been through just about everything out there from Shooters Ridge all the way up to Lilja and Shilen drop in barrels.

If you want to be able to get 1st rate accuracy you are going to have to go with a quality barrel. What I mean by that is a barrel that has been crafted towards ultimate accuracy. Good steel and hand lapped, not to mention you have to have a very good chamber, and crowing to go along with it.

You have to understand you are going to get what you pay for when it come to this type of product.

The other barrel makers put out very good products for the money, but the chambering in a non custom barrel are chambered in a way that will allow them to feed anything that you put in it.

Cleaning is another subject. Each barrel likes to be cleaned a certain way. Some run better dirty, and some like to be clean. You just have to figure out how and what your barrel needs to be able to get the best accuracy out of it.

Joe

#35 · (Edited)
Volquartsen 10/22 barrels. Ok, it says right there on the website, "Our stainless steel drop-in 0.920" bull barrels set the standard in accuracy and performance for rimfire barrels." Any more questions? Yes, they offer lightweight and take-down barrels also. They have been in business for a while, and obviously still making a quality product.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/barrels-for-1022

#37 · (Edited)
KSA 10/22 barrels. Really can't find what I want to know about these barrels. There are a few post about them here on RFC, but the pics of targets are not available or any impressive group size(s). Did find some for sale, not much information there either. Seems to be an OK starter barrel. ?? If you have one and or pics of some groups feel free to contribute some information.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mikes.stocks/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

https://www.stockysstocks.com/micro...tainless-with-or-without-threaded-muzzle.html

There is a thread on RFC that speaks highly of the KSA barrels:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202611

#39 · (Edited)
#40 ·
Atomic Arms and Gemtech 10/22 barrels have appeared on the Atomic Arms website in the barrel selection. Haven't time to research this right now, will do at a later date. Stay tuned. If you know anything about these, feel free to share your info. .... AH

http://atomicarmsllc.com/
I'll try to find time on Saturday to update the spreadsheet. Going to try to hit the range tomorrow and try a few new types of ammo. Looks like it could shower, but the wind the last few days has been 5mph or less, so I'll see how it goes. If it's raining too hard, I'll do the spreadsheet tomorrow and try the range on Saturday instead.

#41 · (Edited)
Gemtech 10/22 barrels. Standard steel type barrels are listed on the internet, but are out of stock. However, the Gemtech website does list " Integrally Suppressed 10/22 barrels". I haven't seen any 50 yard targets with these barrels as of yet, and I don't want to touch on the subject of supressing sound - but it is a barrel and you don't screw on the noise dampener via threaded muzzle. Therefore, .... it is a 10/22 barrel. :eek: :confused:

https://www.gemtech.com/catalog/product/view/_ignore_category/1/id/375/s/mist-22/

#44 · (Edited)
C&A tactical and Pacnor make very good barrels but you never see them mentioned

Link for c&a 10/22 stuff
https://candatacticaldesigns.com/collections/10-22-charger-stuff

Link for pacnor. Keep in mind these can be customized ordered any length you want. Flutes contour. I'd love to see some kid guys try these.
http://pac-nor.com/1022/

Theres!a handful of other barrels out there that stand above the drop in 10/22 barrel standard but I don't have time look them all up.
Just know the 10/22 rimfire world here on this Web site is not seeing it all.

#46 ·
Thanks to the members for contributing to the "list" of 10/22 barrels now available. There is a good chance I (we) have missed a few. If you don't have time to submit a link, just post the maker and I will be glad to do the rest. Good work! ......... AH

#47 ·
I updated the spreadsheet on post #17 with all of the brands mentioned to date. I haven't entered the details of the barrel types. I think I'll need to rethink the layout since some brands have so many variations. If I chuck the weights, I can combine rows and add check boxes for the available options for each barrel type.

#59 ·
Just called Green Mountain and ask about the stainless blanks for the 10/22. They are made in house using 416R Stainless. The blue finished barrels are 4140 chromoly. The bentz .22 chamber not recommended for subsonic or stinger hyper velocity ammo. From their page.... "Green Mountain .920 Bull barrels for the Ruger 10-22 utilize a tight Bentz chamber design with perfect target grade rifling. Sizes range from 16" x .920" to 28" x .920". One 18" .920 bull fluted barrel even comes with Fire Sights..In addition to a variety of 22LR lengths, you could choose a 20" subsonic sniper barrel with a fast 1:9 twist, or a stinger chambered barrel for varmint shots." Also....... (from their page) "In addition to function gauging barrels at all operations, our quality control staff pulls a sample from each work station hourly for a total inspection. They check the straightness of drilled holes and air gauge finished bores to within .0001 of an inch. Chambers, bores and hard-to-reach internal areas are scrutinized with a fiber-optic bore scope and video monitor to ensure total quality for ultimate accuracy and safety." Not only all of that, but made with American steel. Wow! And I was thinking about buying another brand? Shame on me. :eek:

#60 ·
Feddersen

Yes, I've been on the phone again. This was to 10/22rifle.com. I started asking questions, and they were nice enough to put me on the phone with a fellow named Fred. I really didn't expect that. Taking notes while talking to Fred was difficult at best, we covered so much information about barrels and the new receivers. Here goes: The barrels are made in house using MilSpec B11595E chromoly. The 10/22 barrels are not only drilled with a new process, but also get his 8 groove patented rifling process. As only he can put it (from an internet quote): "...Feddersen barrels are not mass produced, but crafted to a higher attention to detail through exhaustive hand reaming, lapping processes and with deep investments in precision manufacturing technology." The new bronze receiver is made using "bearing bronze" in the process. Yep, no oil needed. Well, now I know why my Feddersen barrel shot a 250 USBR at 25 yards. Oh yea, the receivers are for sale at a special price. Ruger ordered a few, perhaps they will learn something. Check the Feddersen website. My only regret is I went cheap and got the barrel without the polished blue finish. I guess I'll have to order another one. :)

#61 ·
Bartlein barrel?

Yep, something new to me on the 10/22 barrel radar. After a review of the Barlein barrel here on RFC, this is certainly worth a mention here in this thread. I am not aware of any dealer selling the 10/22 Barlein barrel, if you know who has them in stock, feel free to post your findings. I went to their site, and no mention of 10/22 barrels that I could find. Did I miss something? A thread on "another site" has suggested that this is not a regular production, but an occasional run for those who show interest. ????? ........ AH