Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:42 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I don't need any guns or ammo, and feel sorry for those that got caught short.
I see a lot of gouging going on , and even our fellow RFC'ers can't resist apparently.
I know, "free market, don't buy if you don't want to", blah blah blah, it's just low class.
Bob, did you start a thread to call people who are happy to sell ammunition to people who are happy to buy it, a transaction to which you aren't a party, "low class"?

I wouldn't speculate as to the brow height of your motive.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:46 AM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thought of this thread this morning while reading the Gospel of Matthew.

the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five.

Doesn't seem like God has a problem with people trading and making money. IMHO
Old 04-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you really believe that? People who have plenty of ammo don't need to go looking for more. I'm sure there's people that have plenty that do still buy it if they happen to see it at a decent price but I can pretty much guarantee you that they're not the problem.
I don't know that anyone can pretty much guarantee anything, but I am serious. Do you think all the ammunition that used to be on shelves, and that now seldom even makes it to those shelves, is being fired? If all that ammunition were being consumed, we'd see many more people at the ranges, so I think it's logical to assume much of it is being sat on (hoarded), largely due to uncertainty about the future. And, yes, I think "people who have plenty of ammo" are buying much of it. You can see them here on RFC: "people" showing pictures of their most recent purchase added to their pile of 100s of thousands of rounds of ammunition, often saying things like "more than enough for my lifetime."

JMO
People with "100s of thousands of rounds of ammunition" don't need to go around constantly looking for ammo and almost all of them purchased the large majority of their ammo when it was cheap and plentiful. No I absolutely don't think all the ammo that hits the shelves is being fired. I think a lot of it is being bought and then put on places like GunBroker to make a profit. People who hoard ammo almost certainly aren't buying as much ammo as they were before the shortage. If anything most are probably selling some of it therefore adding to what's available. Unless they just like wasting $ I can't imagine anyone who has large stockpiles of ammo buying more at the inflated prices that most of it is selling for. I know I haven't bought any. I did sell a little, not because I wanted to make a profit. I sold some to people who asked me and told them to give me what they thought was fair. I've also given away a ton of ammo over the last year.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:03 AM
bobandc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I don't need any guns or ammo, and feel sorry for those that got caught short.
I see a lot of gouging going on , and even our fellow RFC'ers can't resist apparently.
I know, "free market, don't buy if you don't want to", blah blah blah, it's just low class.
You have identified your perceived problem with a free market but haven't suggested what the solution should be. Are you suggesting that if I decided to sell a box of ammo I should limit the top end of my selling price based upon my cost, not the market or I am low class?

Clearly the free market system has it's problems, but having traveled to over 40 countries around the world I've not seen a system that works better.

And BTW, I've not sold a single round but I have given away several boxes of 9MM and 5.56 to a few friends.

I hope you receive my comment in the friendly nature it's intended.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:26 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
People with "100s of thousands of rounds of ammunition" don't need to go around constantly looking for ammo and almost all of them purchased the large majority of their ammo when it was cheap and plentiful. No I absolutely don't think all the ammo that hits the shelves is being fired. I think a lot of it is being bought and then put on places like GunBroker to make a profit. People who hoard ammo almost certainly aren't buying as much ammo as they were before the shortage. If anything most are probably selling some of it therefore adding to what's available. Unless they just like wasting $ I can't imagine anyone who has large stockpiles of ammo buying more at the inflated prices that most of it is selling for. I know I haven't bought any. I did sell a little, not because I wanted to make a profit. I sold some to people who asked me and told them to give me what they thought was fair. I've also given away a ton of ammo over the last year.
I guess it doesnít matter whether itís hoarders, gougers, or manufacturers, it is what it is. And most of the new ammo is being purchased at all the big retailers at normal prices, not the inflated online prices. I think the truly sinister price gouging would be the manufacturers jacking their prices up, which doesnít appear to be happening.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:51 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I You can see them here on RFC: "people" showing pictures of their most recent purchase added to their pile of 100s of thousands of rounds of ammunition, often saying things like "more than enough for my lifetime."

JMO
LOL. I haven't seen 100s of thousands and, given the age of many on RFC, a lifetime could be any day now.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM
1894cfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Know what you mean...

Not too long ago I found a couple cases of CCI550 primers that I wasn't using much, so took a couple bricks to the local gun shop and offered to sell them to him for $50 ea. He took me up on it.
Couple weeks ago, went in to find he was boxing up maybe 30K of various types and asked him what he was getting for them. Said THREE HUNDRED PER BRICK! Last time I'm selling him anything! NUTS!
Old 04-11-2021, 05:36 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
LOL. I haven't seen 100s of thousands and, given the age of many on RFC, a lifetime could be any day now.
Your turn will come soon enough young fella

Some Internet Geezer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old guy skiing.jpg (14.2 KB, 38 views)