Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:28 AM
ronmart
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
I'm going to say it likely needs a heck of a cleaning. I'm also a believer in the breakin process. Use the one that makes you feel good. Also the crown is very important. Check with the Q-Tip technique. Mounting the Barrel to get the least headspace is also important. Had to loosen my mag housing to get mine fit tight.

It's better you research the ideas I've mentioned on your own. You"ll learn allot and have earned it, so to say. Good luck and it'll turn out fine I'm sure.
Yeah, I'm too impatient to do the barrel break in ceremony. I just want to shoot the darn thing and I'll clean it when I'm done.

I do clean after every range visit though.

Using the factory 17 HMR seems to be just plug and play in their video, so I'll loosen some screws, swap barrels, tighten up as described and shoot it.

For the MTR barrel that is in there now there's no darn headspace to speak of - it's tight as a nun's <censored> so I'm hoping that's the case with the 17 HMR when its mounted as well.

I have no idea what you are talking about for the Q-Tip technique.

I do understand the importance of the crown.

Ron
Old 04-10-2021, 06:58 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)

First 13 rounds from my LW .17m2 barrel with Eley, center zeroing shots were at 25 yards then the target and frame were moved back to 50 yards for the two 5 shot groups. These were fired off this elaborate rest set up...

So I'm certain it will do better....the circled area were sighting in shots at 25 yards, the lower left two groups at 50 yards, first using the 25 yard setting and the second with some adjustment.

That group off to the right in the first photo was shot with my new BMag (who'd thought) at 50 yards with Win. 20 gr, I'm going to have to eat all the ugly words I've used about them after my first Bmag....

Last edited by gmd1950; 04-10-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:52 PM
ronmart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
First 13 rounds from my LW .17m2 barrel with Eley...

That group off to the right in the first photo was shot with my new Bag (who'd thought) at 50 yards with Win. 20 gr, I'm going to have to eat all the ugly words I've used about them after my first Bmag....
Nice thanks for sharing!

Where did you find the Eley?

I had to look up B.Mag because I wasn't familiar with it - pretty impressive!

I have a Savage crack barrel shotgun and of my old guns, it's the only one with a problem. Perhaps the most simple weapon possible, and it has a problem, so I struggle to embrace Savage. That said, my 1983 Ruger 10/22 and 1984 Marlin 30-30 have been flawless. In fact, my once I free floated the barrel on the Ruger it started creating groups that rival what I see a lot of folks getting with expensive custom barrels.

I haven't tried out my barrel yet as I'm still getting to know the 457 with the MTR barrel that is on it now, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:00 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I bought a lot of it back in the early 2000's, most at really low prices.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:00 PM
ronmart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I bought a lot of it back in the early 2000's, most at really low prices.
Lucky! I need to find a way to score at least 20 or so to try out for kicks and giggles, but in the meantime I'm just happy to have the Hornady VMAX.

Ron