Bullet deformation - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:54 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Consistency yields consistent accuracy. Change something (like denting/scraping bullets) and it will affect accuracy. The questions are: How much? & Does it matter to you?
Old 04-04-2021, 05:34 PM
dash4cash
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
not according to what I seen, at least out of my 10/22, now granted these bullets that I deformed weren't deformed real bad but about the same as if they were ejected into the chamber from the mag and after all shots were taken you could not tell a difference at 50 yards, and as stated the best 10 shot group came from a mag fed 10 shot group. I do agree that if the bullet had more damage to it that it would affect accuracy, just as in the video a few posts back.

Carl
Old 04-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of years ago, a gun magazine that I purchased regularly ran an article on just this subject; can't remember the CF caliber they chose (probably .308 or 30-06), but the results were interesting. Can't remember all they did to deform groups of bullets they shot, but I do remember that the least hit on group size was when they deformed the bullet tip by bending it a bit off the natural center line, while the biggest degradation of accuracy occurred when they took a small drill (can't remember the diameter) and went back on the parallel mid-body of the bullet and drilled a hole through the jacked (and maybe a bit into the core - again, my memory fails me, as it was published 35+/- years or so ago). So the biggest negative effect on accuracy was with "damage" that altered the balance of the rotating weight of the bullet in flight by making one portion lighter than the rest, throwing it considerable out of balance in the rotating direction. Just some food for thought that may shed a bit of light on some portions of this discussion.

Last edited by Outrider; 04-04-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:42 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can anybody name me a magazine feed .22 rf that has push feed system ?
There all control feed systems as far as I no.
Think stockcrafter is on the right track, your magazine spring tension pops
the fresh cartridge into the bolt pocket and if the there is some kind of interference
like a extractor or the Schell holder or sharp edge the cartridge wont feed strait into
the chamber.
That's my take.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 04-06-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:13 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
Well, I just tested both of my Kidd rifles . Both put a crescent shaped dent in the bullet when the bullet is chambered . Even so they both shoot ridiculously good .

However, my SAKO P94S does not distort the bullet that I can see . It is crazy accurate and will beat the Kidd every day.

So my conclusion is it might make a difference. But the difference ainít a lot .

Thanks for posting this thread. Iíd have gone all ocd if I thought my rifles were abnormal !

I called Kidd yesterday and sent them pictures . They asked me to test every mag. I did . All bullets were deformed after feeding .

Upon closer examination , the magazines were a bit dirty so I decided Iíd clean one and try it again . Before cleaning, every round in the mag was dented after chambering. After cleaning 7 out of 10 had no deformation that I could see . The last 3 in the magazine had problems . I increased spring tension on the magazine and it has passed one round of testing. More testing is needed though to see if Iíve eliminated it completely.

The magazines were not all that dirty in my opinion , but apparently a little build up can make a very big difference .

This is the kind of damage I was getting before working the mags over:

There were some other magazines and some were better , some worse .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6209F2E7-C5CD-4B86-813D-C43421F38358.jpeg (362.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 749D6B5D-9951-44E1-B0EF-68CB179EDA06.jpg (202.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-07-2021, 06:15 PM
rascally

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
Can anybody name me a magazine feed .22 rf that has push feed system ?
There all control feed systems as far as I no.
Think stockcrafter is on the right track, your magazine spring tension pops
the fresh cartridge into the bolt pocket and if the there is some kind of interference
like a extractor or the Schell holder or sharp edge the cartridge wont feed strait into
the chamber.
That's my take.

I believe my Marlin 39A is such a system. The cartridge is lifted to be in front of the bolt, and the bolt then pushes it into the chamber. There is no magazine spring involved.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:35 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What we need is a couple of high speed cameras, one straight on and one on an angle to cover as much as possible. Then record the loading process as first and last rds in mag and any other methods that are out there.

I would love to understand control feeding and uncontrol feeding, pull feeding and whatever else you guys want to call the feeding process of these rifles (all rifles).

I'm confused over some of these posts as to what is called what now.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:43 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
What we need is a couple of high speed cameras, one straight on and one on an angle to cover as much as possible. Then record the loading process as first and last rds in mag and any other methods that are out there.

I would love to understand control feeding and uncontrol feeding, pull feeding and whatever else you guys want to call the feeding process of these rifles (all rifles).

I'm confused over some of these posts as to what is called what now.
Me too confused. More info please
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a good read on how a controlled feed system works.
Post #30 Fuzzy Limey
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ng+a+BB&page=2
Insert 10/22 when Fuzzy says BB, I have used his advice on my two CZ 452 rifles and my BB (Biathlon Basic)
Russian made rifle.
MY two 10/22 work ok for me, did have the lead smiley lead shaving deal for a bit, but I had barrel droop.
I fixed the barrel droop and problem solved with shaved bullets on one of my 10/22's

Hope this helps.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 04-08-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascally View Post
I believe my Marlin 39A is such a system. The cartridge is lifted to be in front of the bolt, and the bolt then pushes it into the chamber. There is no magazine spring involved.
Good one.
I grew up shooting a Marlin 39A made in the 50's, has a slick feed system...
But most .22 rf action that have a box magazine has a controlled round feed system.
On center fire rifles a Mauser 98, pre 64 Win. mod 70 has a controlled round feed system.
Rem 700 has a push feed system.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 04-08-2021 at 09:56 PM.