17 WSM Coyote Opinions - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:40 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I watch a few, my wife would say MANY, youtubes of coyote callers.

When they spin they are always dead but just dont know it. Often they also spin and bite their abdominal area, same result.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:40 PM
Eric Mayer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I'm not really a fan of 17's for shooting coyotes but I know they have a certain following and they can often be a sensitive bunch.
I've never been accused of being "sensitive" by anyone, even my ex-wife! My caring attitude extends only to the poor ground squirrels I shoot and a few of my rifles.

Btw, I've killed a ton of coyotes with a .17 Remington over the years.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
I've never been accused of being "sensitive" by anyone, even my ex-wife! My caring attitude extends only to the poor ground squirrels I shoot and a few of my rifles.

Btw, I've killed a ton of coyotes with a .17 Remington over the years.
Yeah but Eric you're originally from California and wellll, you Cali folks just aren't quite right.

And shooting coyotes with your 17 Rem doesn't really count when they're so close they die from powder burns long before that anemic tiny bullet kills them.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:56 PM
dirtclod75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I am going squirrel hunting I take 17 HMR, 17 WSM ,17 Hornet and 204 Ruger. If I am going coyote hunting I take 204 Ruger and 6.5 PRC for the big dogs!! I have shot many coyotes with 17 WSM, but only because they close!!!!!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:41 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtclod75 View Post
If I am going squirrel hunting I take 17 HMR, 17 WSM ,17 Hornet and 204 Ruger.
Who carries all them guns for you bwana?
Old 02-26-2021, 11:22 PM
dirtclod75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LOL, Got have lots of guns when its hot and your shooting 400-600 rounds a day
Old 02-27-2021, 12:07 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Who carries all them guns for you bwana?
Guessing ground squirrel hunting. So probably out the back of the truck. Some of us take it serious enough to have built trailers specific to the quarry.... complete with with benches on the roof, and a surplus ultrasonic cleaner that fits a barreled action. Darn barrels get hot...
Old 03-03-2021, 09:37 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two WSMs, but carry a .22 mag when limited to rimfire. Mostly a rifle preference thing. CZ 452 American threaded and suppressed versus a skinny barrel B Mag and a MGM Contender Carbine.

The WSM has more range, but a short range proposition regardless. I would limit the WSM to 100 yds or so if you are trying to recover the animal. They can be surprisingly tough. Have shot a couple while deer hunting with a .270 and they still run.

Have had good luck with the .22 mag. Using my Foxpro caller, have taken 2 at 50-75 yards in timber. 40 gr hollow points, recovered both within a short distance. Also killed a couple with the HMR, but was lucky to find them. Both shot while daytime raccoon calling at point blank range. Saw one go down, other was found a week afterwards several hundred yards away, by luck. No blood trail. Attached is a pic of one taken with HMR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9D73D8AE-3A5D-44AF-A1E1-908B00ABDC10_1614785824326.jpg (493.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Yeah but Eric you're originally from California and wellll, you Cali folks just aren't quite right.

And shooting coyotes with your 17 Rem doesn't really count when they're so close they die from powder burns long before that anemic tiny bullet kills them.
We had to keep our projectiles small in CA. What the CA .gov can't see, they can't regulate!! Them not being right, is why I moved out of that place!! Crazies!

I just picked up a 17 Fireball recently and another 17 Remington, to go along with a 20 Tactical and 14 Ackley Hornet I just got. %%%%, these small calibers are just too interesting to pass up!!
Old 03-06-2021, 06:21 PM
DANNY-L
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I not concerned with humane kills on them things, I try to but as long as a hole is poked in them I'm satisfied they'll die. They're the only animal I feel that way towards. Those mutts take deer down and eat on them starting at the hind quarters until the deer dies, will be a a while of a slow painful death for the deer. So hit them anywhere you can with whatever you have and if they make back toward a group of others they'll finish it off.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:01 PM
CastleRocker

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If it's "prime pelt season", I shoot nothing but 17 Remington when calling. Most of my shots in Western Washington are 75 yds and under though. If I go east side I use 22-250, as I can't seem to call them in as close.

I'd LOVE to try a 17 WSM, but haven't found one (that I could afford), yet.