Just scored my 2nd P94S at a gun show, with a lilja barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just scored my 2nd P94S at a gun show, with a lilja barrel

There was a gun show over the weekend, the first one in a few months. I debated on going or not, till finally deciding to go sunday afternoon. It was a hour drive one way.
Show was not too crowded, but not dead. Pretty good turnout of vendors. A few people with masks, but not many.
I made it through the show and was making my last pass along the vendors on the outer wall when I passed a couple older fellas with a rack of about 6-8 rifles and some other do-dads on the table. I was just glancing at the rifles when something caught my eye, the unique shape the receiver made me stop and look a little closer. I saw P94S. It had a bright shiny (polished) SS barrel and I cringed just a little. I then notice the stock is not original either, I cringe a little more. However I went ahead and picked it up to look at it. The action looks clean with no issues. I see that it has been bedded in the stock. I notice the buttpad says remington umc on it. Someone modded a stock from something else to make it work on this one. I then look at the barrel and notice a faint stamping on it. Lilja 22 LR Match. Well my interest perked back up a little. I know those barrels are not cheap! I figured if the original barrel had been replaced, at least it was replaced with a nice barrel. I had a leupold scope of some sort on it with some super crappy bare aluminum rings that had left horrid ring marks all over the scope.
I went ahead and inquired about it expecting some type of outrageous price. He said $1300 with the scope, or $650 without it. I could care less about the scope and was more interested in just the rifle. I paid $950 for my other P94S varmint. So I already know it is a pretty good deal. But I went ahead and pointed out he non factory stock and non factory barrel and threw out a $500 offer. He hee-hawed a little and said $550. I told him I would think on it.
I then proceeded to make my way to the atm outside and pull out some money. I walk around the show for around 5-10 min then come back to him and lay $500 on the table. He hee-hawed a little bit, tried to stay with his $550 price, but I could tell by the way he was acting he would take it, he just did not want to. I stuck to my offer and told him that is all the cash I got.
He hee-hawed a little more then finally accepted the offer. He had to go to another vendor and borrow a screwdriver to remove the scope. But I think we both came out happy as he and me both were smiling.

I get home and tear it down and start discovering lots of small details. Someone at some point spent a lot of time and money on it. They look like they knew what they were doing. The stock is pillar bedded with some very nicely done aluminum pillars, including the machining of the rear pillar to clear the trigger. They even made some custom inserts for the trigger guard so the screws would not tighten down against the plastic.
The trigger has had some significant work done to it as well. It has been machined on and modded some. It has no creep and is breaking at around 9 ounces. However it has a ton of over travel. I think the pin the trigger pivots on has been moved or altered, as my other one does not have any over travel. I also know my other one there is a adjustment screw at the front to adjust the spring tension to adjust the pull weight. This one it has been moved to the rear of the trigger where they took a screw and trimmed down the dia of the last little bit of threads on the screw and use it to hold a spring pushing on the back of the trigger so it will reset. It also doubles at the trigger stop screw, but is way too short. I may have to try and find a longer screw to make work so I do not have 1/4 inch+ of over travel. There also appears to be a pre travel adjustment screw added to the front.
I give it a good cleaning and cleaned a ton of old dried crud out of the barrel. I also cleaned a lot of old dried oil out of the bolt body. It cycles a little smoother now.
I added a weaver style base I had left over from my other one when I changed it to a 20 moa base. I then added a old scope and some rings I had laying around not being used. The rings are overkill and the scope is not the best, but it will do until I see how it shoots and get a better scope if I keep it. (it would have to shoot super crappy for me not to keep it, and I doubt it would do that)
Pics coming in the next post.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:16 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The stock has got some pretty decent looking wood. It has a nice wide forend. Can anyone ID what this stock was originally for?

The pillar bedding and the custom trigger guard inserts:

The trigger. When I get some time I need to pull my other one out of the stock and compare the triggers to see just what all has been done to this one.

Ready to go to the range. I am hoping to have some time this weekend.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Very sweet looking rig! Hope it shoots well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Mike Clapp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock

That stock shape looks like what we use to use for benchrest before the synthetics took off. The flat foreend sits on a flat bag better.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:47 AM
RC125

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was a heck of a buy. Beautiful Rifle
Old 06-02-2020, 07:53 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
It may have a slightly odd pedigree but I'll bet its a shooter...
Old 06-02-2020, 11:50 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (248)
If yours is anything like mine, you will love that rifle! Congratulations on a great find.

Doug
Old 06-02-2020, 06:50 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
On the drive home I was thinking about if I could find a original stock for it, but after getting it apart and seeing how much work was put into this one, and it was done really nicely, I think I will leave it be. I did find a stock online, but it was $300. All the more reason to just let it be.
Still curious what this stock was originally for. If anyone recognizes it let me know.

Another thing I forgot to mention. During my cleaning and inspection of it, I found the safety does not work. It still engages normally, but the modifications to the trigger, make it to where it will still fire if you pull the trigger even when the safety is on. It's something to look into when I get the time. But in the meantime I will know to not load it until it is pointed down range, and unload if I stop shooting.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
As Mike said above, that is a benchrest stock. P94S was a force to contend with in the Hunter Benchrest class. I'm assuming that's what you have.

A regular P94S stock allows the action to move in the stock due to the action having a flat bottom. The aftermarket stock solves that problem and cuts weight for the class, and rides the bags better. The class also had a 6X scope limit.

I bet a nickle that the action screws are also oversize and 1/4 X 28 in size versus the metric screws they came with, and Alex Sitman did the work...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 06-03-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
That's what I'd call a "sporter benchrest stock." There was a guy here on RFC that was making them, but I have forgotten his name. He made one for my Sako Quad that looked very much like yours.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
That's what I'd call a "sporter benchrest stock." There was a guy here on RFC that was making them, but I have forgotten his name. He made one for my Sako Quad that looked very much like yours.
Well, whomever made it, that is a very, VERY nice pillar bedding job. The person that did this knew what he was doing, NOT his first rodeo. Nice rifle!
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am still pretty sure this stock was made for a different rifle and modded to fit this rifle, and not made specifically for this rifle. The buttplate says remington UMC on it, and the patina matches the rest of the stock. The barrel channel has been opened up, and the trigger guard does not match the inletting. The trigger guard actually sticks down below the surface of the stock a small amount. You can see (but not in the pictures) that the inside of the stock has been opened up to fit the sako action.
But anyways, it's got about a 99.9% chance of just staying on there. After seeing the work that went into it, I see no reason to swap it out as anything else I get will not be as good.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:48 PM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
be nice to see how it shoots. I like to see guns that people have hot roded. good shooting to you.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Finally got a chance to get it out and shoot it. I started out with some cci sv to sight it in and get it zeroed. I think the scope is having issues, so I will be looking for a better replacement. This was one I had laying around and could not remember why. I think I know now why.
I found the chamber in this barrel is tight and it takes a good push to close the bolt. I pulled a live round out after chambering and I can see the rifling marks. So you engage the rifling as you chamber the round. I have read on here about some match chambers doing this, I guess this is one of them.
I tried some SK magazine and some prime. It seemed to like both of them.
On the target the top 6 groups are SK magazine, and the bottom 4 are prime. You can see the POI change between the two as the prime is high velocity. The groups are a mix of 10 shot and 5 shot groups.
I will be the first to tell you I am far from a expert marksman. I can shoot some decent groups, but I will pull one every so often and you can see it in the groups.

50 yards, from the bench, front rest, rear bag.

I have several more types of ammo to try out.

Last edited by JeepsAndGuns; 06-07-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:49 PM
GBLars
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same barell, same gun

I too have a P94 with a Lilja barrel and a Jewel trigger. Rifling marks on bullet is normal on mine if barrel (headspace) is fully seated.