Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:20 AM
hamden
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate22 View Post
What is your favorite HS auto pistol? Considering looks, history, reliability ,accuracy, etc. Also has any one experimented with the match ammo. like Ely, Lapua. Rws. etc. for accuracy , compared to CCI std. vel.
Where is a good place to get a recoil spring for a HS Victor and a HD military.
Finally found a Victor came with original box
2mags,and an extra sight rail. Owner said it was his fathers and hasn't been fired in 30 yrs. in like new cond. but will replace spring just to be safe.
Answering your ammo question, In several of my CT HS, Eley always shot best in my Ransom Rest tests at 50 yards. All SV of old Remington , CCI , Aguila, Winchester, Scoremaster, shot mostly the same but not as tight groups as Eley. And it didn't matter if it was Eley 10X or Club type. Eley usually grouped 1" +/- 1/4". The others grouped an inch rarely, usually 1-1/2". Some ammo like Armscore is not considered at all. Green Tag never shot good for me. I have never shot Lapua or much RWS in pistols. RWS is better than Eley in my rifles.
Eley or Federal Match would be my match ammo today. However the latest Aguila shows promise. Old Federal 900B shot 1/2" from my 41.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 PM
12Step

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got done posting on this. My Trophy. Feed it CCI SV, Winchester Target or Eley, makes me a hero. At least exceeds my true abilities.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:21 PM
12Step

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My only fault with it is that it seems to circle the X ring, not black it out. Certainly can't be my issue.... right?
Old 05-30-2020, 08:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Step View Post
My only fault with it is that it seems to circle the X ring, not black it out. Certainly can't be my issue.... right?
I thought the X meant you weren't supposed to hit that spot? I'm really good at avoiding it.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:08 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have two high standard 104 citation and 107 tournament both are accurate and reliable with the right Ammo I would not sell either of them ! But I would not buy another one either! Volquartsen Black Mamba mamba or S&W Model 41 would be better choice for reliability and parts available and price
Old 06-07-2020, 12:53 AM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
My favorite is my Supermatic Trophy. It is so elegant, known for its accuracy and well made. I dont have a large collection of HS pistols, but of what I have, the Supermatic Trophy is awesome.
Hi, which version? The post-number version? or one of the numbered ones [like 104 Supermatic Trophy]?

Just trying to have a good handle on it.

I have a few so far, and seem to always want 'one' more.

In looks and feel in my hand, I have to say I love the 102 Trophy SpaceBarrel pistols.

In terms of how well I shoot with it, so far the S-101 takes top billing.

In terms of personal connection, the Sentinel Deluxe R-106 that my grandmother used to teach me to shoot handguns takes first place. She WAS a pistol packing granny. As a teen in prohibition she would smuggle the moonshine into town and sell it for great-grandpa- as they wouldn't frisk a young lady. I now have that revolver.

Ultimately, I don't want to have to choose- as I love them all.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:03 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only one I have and cherish is my 6 3/4 bbl 1947 HD Military.Quite an accurate piece in spite of its rather crude rear sight. I love my Colt Match Target but Im forced to admit upon basic disassembly of both , taking off the slide there is, that the system to capture the driving spring, the assembly lock, plunger etc. on the HD are far better constructed than that of the Colt.Both are excellent guns from an era that passed , but that thought came to my head the first time I took off the HDs slide. One thing that I dont understand though is the difference between the New Haven and Hamden made guns. Was there any HD Hamden made or New Haven and Hamden are the same?

Regards, Nicioli

Last edited by Nicioli; 06-07-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:24 AM
03man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile My "New" favorite

They are all my favorites, but this one is my most recent favorite.

OSS silenced pistol clone on post war HD; I just could not bring myself to modify a "real" US marked pistol.
This HD was not in the best of shape outside, the barrel was pretty ugly on the outside.

The "silencer" is constructed a bit different from the original, so can't be passed off as original; but is essentially the same diameter and length.
It is very quiet and functions well with Remington SV target ammo, CCI SV does not have quite enough "energy" to fully function the slide.

I had to wait 7 months on the approval to build this one; but now I'm happy.

I just need to add a front sight blade and it will be really finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1017 (2).jpg (303.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1024 (2).JPG (463.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:00 PM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicioli View Post
The only one I have and cherish is my 6 3/4 bbl 1947 HD Military.Quite an accurate piece in spite of its rather crude rear sight. I love my Colt Match Target but Im forced to admit upon basic disassembly of both , taking off the slide there is, that the system to capture the driving spring, the assembly lock, plunger etc. on the HD are far better constructed than that of the Colt.Both are excellent guns from an era that passed , but that thought came to my head the first time I took off the HDs slide. One thing that I dont understand though is the difference between the East Hartford and Hamden made guns. Was there any HD Hamden made?

Regards, Nicioli
Hi Nicioli,

I like the HD a lot also. I have been informed that the HD is less likely to have a frame crack than the 101+ series pistols, so that is good.

However, I've had two that were used so much that the Verticle Impact Surface that the recoil lug presses back against was deformed. Probably using High Velocity .22 ammo- like MiniMag.

As a result, the recoil spring didn't press the slide forward with enough force to create a tight seat on new ammo, and I'd have to recock the hammer to fire it.

Once I had those areas welded up and re-fit, no problems.

So, HV ammo is still not good in the HD Military- but not due to frame crack, due to frame dents.

As to your question about cities, my understanding is that the switch from Hamden to East Hartford was accompanied by business decisions that led to less attention to detail in fitting, higher likelyhood of tooling not being replaced when it should [and subsequent sloppy machining on a few items], a higher percentage of 'waste' in manufacturing, and a general decline in quality of finished product.

Yet- there were still a lot of good products out of East Hartford. It is a percentage [and bragging rights?] thing. If it was 2% concern with Hamden, it may have been 4% with East Hartford made firearms. [Percentages were used for comparison but are NOT actual- John or others will correct my mistakes.]

As to the HD, they were made in New Haven, before the manufacturing moved to Hamden. I think that move was around 49-51, but not sure.

Thus, it is highly unlikely to see an HD Military made anywhere except New Haven. From what I understand.

Again, John, Wayne or other more knowledgeable people will correct me- and we will both learn.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks bczrx Ive mistaken the cities , the gun is stamped New Haven not East Hartford, maybe they are the same or near?
Mine is a pristine 1947 gun and its amazing, when you look at a 73 year old piece of machinery, to figure it out how well made it is. With proper care and SV only diet it will last forever !
Regards, Nicioli