Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:35 AM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Big bucks for a Marlin 60!

I brought home my latest Marlin yesterday, after choking up the balance of the cash needed to get it out of layaway. I still (almost) can't believe that I actually willingly paid $400 (Four Hundred Dollars!) for a little old Marlin 60!

And it was USED!

But I still think I got a very good deal on it. To be fair, it's a Huntsville, AL-built Model 60SS, with the black/gray laminate stock, and it is as close to new as you could reasonably find, though it has been fired some. It also is topped with an equally nice Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 Rimfire scope. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but I'm of course very hopeful about its inherent accuracy. I'm tending to want to take the black scope off and replace it with a silver scope, but I'm not set on that yet. This little rifle will make an excellent companion to my 917m2s, which is the same combination of black/gray laminate and stainless.

There is another Model 60 that's blued and wood, with the same scope, and which was brought into the store by the same person, which is also listed for sale at $400, but somehow I just don't feel like it's worth as much as this one. It's still there after 3 weeks.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vince,
That might of been a high on price, but definitely a really nice rifle. I have the exact same rifle just with a different scope on it. Great shooter.

As far as the price you will forget about that after just a little while of shooting it.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't worry, you're not alone.

Sadly, I've seen a few local shops really jumping on the "Marlin shortage" with crazy prices. New Model 60s, since there had been NONE for many months, were put on the shelf at $399!

Hard to swallow, knowing brand new 60s were selling at Dick's a year ago for $199!

Supply and demand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Bird-Dog

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Considering the scope it came with, $400 does not sound unreasonable in near-new condition.

I bought a new 60SS in May for $250, though $280 seemed to be more the going price (then). The scope yours came with retails for about the same. Granted I don't know how used scopes hold up in resale value, but I'd still figure you paid $200 for a barely used $250-$280 rifle and $200 for a barely used $250 scope. Not bad. Saved $100+ bucks over buying new (if you could even find one in-stock right now) and got scope rings thrown in for free!

I agree it's a bit too much on the blued/wood one at the same price, though. You got the pick-of-the-litter.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jeepers creepers!

I completely overlooked mention of the excellent scope that came with the used Model 60! That changes everything. In that case, you got a great rifle, a great scope and overpaid a little for the rifle. Well done.

(My example referred to brand new Model 60s with the synthetic stock and HORRIBLE pack-in scope that is probably worth around $5.)

Be well.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:40 PM
57springer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have to agree , with a good scope not really to much
Old 11-22-2020, 08:39 PM
dsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whenever I buy a gun I soon forget how much I paid for it. Either it's a great shooter and worth every penny or it's a lousy one and a bad deal. I've overpaid for guns I'd never get rid of, and got good deals on guns that turned out to be stinkers and a waste of my money. As long as you enjoy it and you didn't have to starve for a week to afford it that's all that matters.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thats the one on my bucket list So shoot and ☺️ . As for the black scope on a ss rifle, i think it looks nice.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:01 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Needs the obligatory pics posted.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:27 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You bought the scope and a nice rifle came with it.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
You bought the scope and a nice rifle came with it.
Love it.