Takedown ftf - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:45 PM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Takedown ftf

I took my take down out for the 1st time and had nothing but problems. I have the adjuster nut adjusted nice and snug. But I'm still having feeding issues. Several different manufacturers, same issue. Bx25 and factory 10 round mags. It tries to strip it out of the mag but doesn't seem to line up right with the chamber. Tried loosening the adjuster nut ever so slightly without any change. It's been suggested to try round nose bullets which I'll try tomorrow.

Any help?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:58 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scotch brite the inside of the receiver, the overspray interferes with the smooth operation of the bolt.
Make sure the stock is correctly lined up, there are little screws inthe receiver end/ face that let you do this.
Make sure the magazine well lets the magazine all the way in , sometimes there is flashing or other obstructions in the well sand them out.
Inspect the chambers mouth it should be smooth os butter, run a q tip over it if any cotton snags youve got a problem.
Clean and lube with Hornady one shot dri lube, the magazines too!
Assemble , turn the nob as tight as you can , then back off two clicks.
Without the magazine in the gun pull back the bolt a couple of times and let it slam shut. This seats the barrel.
Put the magazine in and shoot , it should run almost flawlessly, if not , call ruger get a return authorization and send it back.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:57 PM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could use a little more background info. For instance...

Is this a brand new rifle, or used but new to you?
Ruger 100% factory takedown, or some aftermarket parts? If so, which ones?
What types of ammunition did you you try? (Just off the cuff with what you provided, my first guess would be it's the ammunition).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 01:33 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd scrub out the inside of the receiver of excess paint and apply some Hornady one shot dry lube

go through the owners manual to properly adjust the tension on the mechanism

try CCI MiniMags in the 10 round factory mags
Old 11-22-2020, 09:17 AM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Factory new rifle thats sat in my safe too long. Finally got out to shooting. I've got the adjuster as snug as I can and still able to assemble the rifle. Winchester and Remington hollow points.

I'll check out the reciever and chamber today.

Thanks all.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:19 AM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can someone provide a link to the Hornady lube yall are referring to. All I see is 3 different case sizing lube. Dont think that's right.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toomany22s red or green scotchbrite? Does it matter. And is there a video of adjusting the screws on the forend? All I've adjusted is the large knurled nut thing.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:00 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjg26 View Post
Toomany22s red or green scotchbrite? Does it matter. And is there a video of adjusting the screws on the forend? All I've adjusted is the large knurled nut thing.
Doesn't matter, I've used purple and green. Your just trying to get rid of any overspray inside the receiver.

Here is a link for the Hornady One Shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-9990-.../dp/B000LC9YM2

Also a VQ or Kidd extractor to replace the OEM one in your bolt may help. They're only about $10 and the first thing I change out in every one of my 10/22's. If you want to really slick up the action you could get a Kidd guide rod & springs ($10) and it will run like butter. Also some better ammo goes a long way.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Gui...-Kit_p_30.html

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Extractor_p_14.html

Last edited by Nick7274; 11-22-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll try and scuff it up when I get home. Don't want to swap out too many parts if I've got to send it to ruger. So what about the screws? What's the procedure with those?
Old 11-22-2020, 03:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I use the green , cause thats what i steak from the kitchen as for a video, i dont know, theres a post or thread on it here , but i cant find it. Oh here it is , love google. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AMMxTXEerVlRTi
Old 11-22-2020, 04:02 PM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scuffed up. Nice and smooth.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zD2aCKjScB9jBu9s5

Are these the screws you're referring to?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n8euaeFYFFSLpcJo7

Breach is smooth and does not snag qtip

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xUuySdfjK9beoWwC6
Old 11-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Kjg26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok. Round nose bullets feed fine. Will i ever be able to run hollow points? After break in?
Old 11-22-2020, 05:20 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Ok. Round nose bullets feed fine. Will i ever be able to run hollow points? After break in?
try cci mini mags they will work just fine
Old 11-22-2020, 05:35 PM
GlockPride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had some BX25 mags that didnít work well in rifles that the 10 rounders did. I did some searching and found the answer. I had to file on some of the metal on the mags. Eventually got them all running well.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
I'll try and scuff it up when I get home. Don't want to swap out too many parts if I've got to send it to ruger. So what about the screws? What's the procedure with those?
It will smooth out pretty easily. You'll see once you start doing it. It's actually pretty easy to give it almost a polished look. The extractor and charging handle are very easy to change back to OEM if you ever had to send it back to Ruger and may eliminate your problems. The guide rod isn't necessary (it does make the action a lot smoother) but I would recommend changing the extractor. Not sure what screws your referring to? As far as ammo hollow points should cycle fine but the 2 brands of ammo that you mentioned shooting are the last 2 I would ever run in my rifle's. They're fine for plinking but I wouldn't expect 100% reliability with them.

Last edited by Nick7274; 11-22-2020 at 05:56 PM.