magazine lip measurement - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM
rimfiresforever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
magazine lip measurement

I recall sometime back seeing a post that gave the exact lip measurements front and rear for 41 magazines. Can someone repost or point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated
Old 11-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Domino
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't remember seeing that. Ae you sure that wasn't for a High Standard?
Old 11-21-2020, 07:08 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive never seen lip measurements for 41 mags. I tune Mag lips by measuring the best functioning mag and use that for any not feeding correctly.

Ive setup several Marvel unit 1s and most needed some tweaking and smoothing of the lips.

Heres some old information from Bob Marvel, not for a 41 but its all I got.

Magazines
Without going into all of the factors regarding magazines, a few of the problems that can occur are:
Magazine Lips. If not wide enough at the rear the round might not be picked up by the slide. If too wide at the rear the round could pop out. The correct approximate spread in the rear is .224 to .227 The release point of the magazines has the same problem of being too wide or too narrow where the rim leaves the magazine. The approximate spread of the forward release point is .205 to .208. The inside edges of the release point should be deburred and smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 08:47 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rimfiresforever:

Did you happen to come from the High Standard world where those magazine lip dimension are crucial?

I believe that Model 41's are much more tolerant to mag lip dimensions. You see, Hi Std's don't have a feed ramp and the magazine controls the feeding until the bullet nose is inside the chamber. That means the Hi Std lips have to guide the bullet nose to the center of the chamber entrance nearly perfectly every time. Whereas the Model 41 has a feed ramp that basically is the guide for the bullet nose.

As stated by others the lips must be within a tolerance to release the cartridge at the exact right time. But the feed ramp on the Model 41 barrel reduces the requirement on the accuracy of that feeding of the bullet into the chamber compared to that requirement for the High Standard target pistols (like the Supermatics, Trophys, Victors, Citations, etc).

LDBennett
Old 11-22-2020, 01:25 PM
rimfiresforever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for replies

That was what I was looking for. I have two older style mags and three new mags. All work well in one of my 41's; only the older two work in my other 41. Both of my 41"s are older, cocking indicator guns.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:08 AM
hamden
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Like with High Standard magazines, put a light drag on the round as it passes through the front lips