New Guy - NRL22 Setup - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:10 PM
waldo9190

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Guy - NRL22 Setup

Was recommended to cross post by a mod. Originally posted in the Savage/Stevens sub forum.

Hi all,

I'm new here, but have been a lurker for a while. I've decided that I'd like to setup a bolt gun to start dabbling in some local NRL22 matches and for some longer range rimfire plinking around the farm. I've narrowed it down to either the B22 FV or the FV-SR. I'm very familiar with the 93 and MKII series of rifles, as we've had those in the family for years, so I'm really excited to set up another Savage. I guess for the guys who have possibly shot both of these, is there any benefit of going with the FV over the FV-SR? I don't have any plans of adding a suppressor, so I'm not worried about whether or not I have the threaded barrel. How does the FV handle compared to the FV-SR? I've read quite a few comparisons between the FV/FV-SR in the MKII series, and some people say the added weight/length of the FV is a hinderance during matches, some say it is a nicer rifle to shoot. I'm leaning towards the FV (I like the idea of the longer barrel) but if you all think it would be significantly better to go with the SR model then I could go that way.

Also, if anyone has glass recommendations I am all ears. I've been looking at the Vortex Diamondback Tactical, 4-16 FFP.

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:44 PM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've shot several (30+/-) NRL & PRS matches. I started with a Mark II BTVS. And it was a decent rifle. I have not shot the other Savages you mention; I suspect they are similar. I never found the weight to be an issue. But the length is a problem moving the gun through and around barricades. I like a shorter barrel and so do the people I shoot with. I don't shoot the Savage any longer. Now, I use a Kidd and a Bergara. Both are better for me than the Savage ever was. However, I feel like I could be competitive with the Savage if I needed to. It is a very accurate rifle.
For optics, the scope you've been looking at will work- particularly if NRL (100 yards) is your goal. IMO, the scope must be a FFP. You will need to hold-over in lieu of dialing most of the time. You just don't have time to dial elevation a couple times in a stage and still have time to dial parallax and finish the stage. If your want to shoot out to 200 yards, I think the 16X will leave you wanting at times. My scopes are 25X & 20X. I rarely use 25X- but 20X is sure nice to see/aim a 2 inch plate at 200 yards. Ocassionally, I shoot an ELR match (400 yards). My scopes barely get it done on small targets at that range.
What I learned in the process was... shoot what you have and buy what you can. Ask lots of questions (like you are doing) too. Be ready to upgrade along the way. This means what you get now is probably not what you'll want after shooting matches for a year or so. Shooting matches will make you a better shooter.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:20 AM
4T-GR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interested in same info. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2020, 09:20 AM
waldo9190

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should add that I've also been looking at the SWFA fixed 10x or 12x, and that through my place of employment I can get the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16, 6-24, or one of the SWFA Fixed Scopes for essentially the same price (+/- $10 or so).
Old 11-23-2020, 10:28 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo9190 View Post
I should add that I've also been looking at the SWFA fixed 10x or 12x, and that through my place of employment I can get the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16, 6-24, or one of the SWFA Fixed Scopes for essentially the same price (+/- $10 or so).
I will say I like my 10x and 12x SWFA scopes, but the higher magnification models (16x, 20x) aren't as well liked for some reason. They do also make variable power scopes, but not sure if they are FFP or SFP or how they compare to their other scopes or the competition.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:03 AM
cz453
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Were I in your shoes I would take a serious look at the Vortex STRIKE EAGLE® 5-25X56 FFP and not worry about it again. One less thing to concern yourself with ever again. Cost is a little higher but no problems. Better clarity, locking turrets, great retical.

Evidently you wish to stay in the entry level then the Diamondback is good however at a higher magnification.

Last edited by cz453; 11-23-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:01 PM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Locking turrets are nice. I have, more than once, bumped my turret on a barricade and been 'off-target' until I noticed it later. It is a problem that is easily eliminated with the right scope.