Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:20 AM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Options on wood for Model 12?

Hi, everyone. I'm not new to this site, but pretty new to this forum. I've had a BSA Martini Model 12 sitting in the safe for several years now, and I've decided that it's time to show it some love. The stock is a bit rough, as you can see in the photo:

There's that roughly-repaired crack and the weird hole right behind the receiver. The forend is OK, so I have a couple of options: replace the stock only and try to match the finish to the forend, or replace both.

Not being much of a woodworker, I'd like something that's drop-in, but I realize that there might not be anything like that available for such an old rifle. I've seen some options for "semi-finished," and I'm wondering how much work that would require. I have a buddy who is a good woodworker -- a cabinetmaker by trade -- and he owes me a favor, so I could probably get him involved in anything tricky.

So ... what are the good sources? I would even consider used parts if in good condition.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:09 AM
martinishootist
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Treebone Carving supplies blanks. Remember that the Model 12 (and 12/15) are thicker actions than the Cadets, so there needs to be extra wood left at the point where the wood meets the action.

Clarence
Old 10-13-2020, 03:45 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
In this day of "erector-set" firearms, it seems harder to find someone that can carve a stock. We as a community cannot afford to lose those with that skill set.
Yet it is the demand for these skills that keep it alive. So get some great wood and bang on the internet and call around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2020, 05:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Dear toivo, Were I in your predicament, I would call Chesebro Rifles at 661.557.2442 and speak to Mark. I bought a real nice Model 12 from him several years ago and found that he really knows his way around Martini rifles.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 10-13-2020, 06:02 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Some thoughts and possible leads on your rifle/stocks.

First of all, are you sure it's a M12? Since you only show part of it, it's hard to say, but it sure looks like a M13 to me with that fore-end and the take-down feature. Barrel length/profile and the presence of any Canadian military markings will determine it one way or the other.

As for original type wood, I'd say there are at least three options.
1. Ebay or firearm auction sites (or a WTB ad in the classifieds here)
2. The shop at Front Royal; John Appleton's shop that is still being run on a limited basis by his family. He had lots of martinis and parts.
3. Gunstocks Inc. and/or CPA should have what you need as well.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:54 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The rifle is deserving of at least a couple of A's describing the figure, and both pieces need to match, gives you a chance to refine the shape of both stocks, might as well search out a fine steel buttplate too.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2020, 06:39 PM
baranjhn
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Try gunstocksinc.com

I put a nice set of their wood on my Cadet.

http://gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Pl...ock-forend.htm
Old 11-21-2020, 10:37 PM
jga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martini

G'day toivo,a cabinetmaker by trade, this is what mine looked like. Queensland maple and linseed oil finish,lives in my sons gun safe.Scott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0737.jpg (495.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:54 AM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suggest you look at Wenig's. http://wenig.com/ These are the stock makers who use to work for Reinhart Fajen. They have a lot of experience and know how to correctly build a stock. They do mostly Shotguns these days but have the wood and pattern for the Martini's. When I was building guns I got all my stocks from them. They are a bit expensive but very much worth it.

Another to consider and probably who I would use to day is CPA Rifles. Quality made proper stocks at reasonable prices. https://www.cparifles.com/collections/stocks