Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:41 PM
Guderian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen Issues

Hello,

I installed the full accurizer kit in my stainless target model. Everything functions well with the gun empty. Last week I figured about 2 or 3 mags of mini mag through it and then started having 3 round bursts. I quickly packed up and went home. Thinking it was firing pin trouble, I ordered the tandemkross titanium firing pin and replaced it along with a full deep clean of the bolt and pistol.

Today I went to the range and firing brand new Mini-Mag 40gr rounds, I got through two or three mags. I didnt have 3 round bursts, but I found my real issues. The bolt is not recoiling far enough back and because of this the hammer is not catching on the sear and is following the bolt home. There are light strikes on the rounds, presumably the titanium Firing Pin is preventing a 3 round burst scenario like I ran into last week.

I had to manually rack the slide, fire, then repeat. I should point out that I fired several thousand rounds of ammo through this pistol in the stock config with none of these issues. Does anyone have any pointers?

- Edit - Pictures of the install in case you see anything installed wrong https://imgur.com/a/bT7XfCG

Last edited by Guderian; 11-20-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the bolt is moving far enough back to eject - it's moving far enough back to cock the hammer. What you have is a timing problem. It seems that your sear spring is not pushing the sear back fast enough.

The sear spring may be missing, bent, or installed incorrectly.

That's where I'd start looking.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:00 PM
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had similar issues...
Read through this thread, it may help:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1194881

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2020, 04:13 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
92% (8)
Try adjusting pre travel screw counter clockwise
Old 11-20-2020, 05:32 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
put your stock sear spring back in the pistol and contact Scott Volquartsen and tell him what is happening , he will probably fix your pistol for free.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Guderian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarey51 View Post
I had similar issues...
Read through this thread, it may help:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1194881

Dan
Your thread mirrors my experience exactly. Iíve sent Volquartsen an email and if they dont get back to me by next weekends range trip ill put the old springs back in and see how it goes.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:11 AM
moreguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make sure your "disco" trigger bar isn't bent. It needs to move freely without binding at all. Make sure you have enough pretravel for the reset to happen reliably..
Old 11-21-2020, 09:18 AM
moreguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are using the Volquartsen hammer bushing make sure there is no hammer binding , to check for this the hammer spring must be removed.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
...I should point out that I fired several thousand rounds of ammo through this pistol in the stock config with none of these issues. Does anyone have any pointers?
Guderian,

Hello and Welcome to the RFC!

Typically, multiple firings are related to the adjustable pre-travel (PT) screw being set "too" close to the sear/hammer release! Try backing out (ccw) the PT screw (found in the forward upper trigger position) 1/8" to 1/4" of a turn, allowing for a little "longer-repeatable-more positive" trigger reset (see HERE) !

Can you measure the new trigger pull weight? If too light (like under 1#), you possibly could have the sear spring installed backwards, another issue in the Ruger Mks going full auto!

Ted
Old 11-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Guderian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Guderian,

Hello and Welcome to the RFC!

Typically, multiple firings are related to the adjustable pre-travel (PT) screw being set "too" close to the sear/hammer release! Try backing out (ccw) the PT screw (found in the forward upper trigger position) 1/8" to 1/4" of a turn, allowing for a little "longer-repeatable-more positive" trigger reset (see HERE) !

Can you measure the new trigger pull weight? If too light (like under 1#), you possibly could have the sear spring installed backwards, another issue in the Ruger Mks going full auto!

Ted
Ill double check these. I believe I had backed out the pre travel screw quite a bit before last range session but im going to double check.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Guderian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I am doing a bunch of testing with the gun disassembled and barrel assembly off the gun. Pulling the trigger, dropping the hammer gently, then pulling it back by hand - The disconnector is not tripping the sear and the hammer is allowed to fall. If I push down on the disconnector manually by hand with the hammer held back, it will trip the sear and act normally. What would cause that? It doesnt seem bound up on anything and moves freely when I push on it.

Is this expected behavior? Ie. Does the bolt push down on the disconnector during firing normally and I am just reporting normal behavior?
Old 11-21-2020, 05:14 PM
moreguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
So I am doing a bunch of testing with the gun disassembled and barrel assembly off the gun. Pulling the trigger, dropping the hammer gently, then pulling it back by hand - The disconnector is not tripping the sear and the hammer is allowed to fall. If I push down on the disconnector manually by hand with the hammer held back, it will trip the sear and act normally. What would cause that? It doesnt seem bound up on anything and moves freely when I push on it.

Is this expected behavior? Ie. Does the bolt push down on the disconnector during firing normally and I am just reporting normal behavior?
Yes the bolt will work the Disco up and down to help prevent it form going auto.

Last edited by moreguns; 11-21-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:23 PM
Guderian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreguns View Post
Yes the bolt will work the Disco up and down
Thanks. At this point ive reinstalled the stock springs and am waiting for volquartsen to get back to me/hit the range next weekend.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:29 PM
moreguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Check your private messages please. I sent you my cell phone # for you to call me for some help.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:57 PM
Guderian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Appreciate it. If I dont hear from Volquartsen I will likely take you up on the offer.