Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:59 PM
xxring
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Warm ammo...

Has anyone ever used those "Hot Hands" warmers in a lunch box to keep your ammo lube from getting too hard when shooting out in the cold? I'm trying to think of a way to accomplish this and that's all I have been able to think of.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:25 PM
JL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
xxring,

Just drop a handful down the front of your pants. Serves two purposes, one to keep the ammo warm, the other to keep you awake! Might make for some strange looks from the other guys when you go to dig 'em out though.

I've thought of using the hand warmer or similar device in a small insulated cooler with the ammo. Might help.......? JL aka HB

I
Old 01-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Won't the cooler look funny inside your Levi's?

Old 01-15-2003, 08:48 PM
JL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Ron, Ron, Ron.......
Just think of how popular he'd be with the lady shooters!

xxring,
I've been thinking on it (Yes, thats dangerous I know) How 'bout wrapping the ammo in a towel at room temp, then in the cooler with the hand warmer. That ought to keep 'em toasty all day. What cha think? JL aka HB
Old 01-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Gordon Gauge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think yer all a bunch o' cheaters.

That is tantamount to shootin' indoors, and now Joe is gonna have to create another division for artificially temperature altered ammunition.

If you guys want to engage in gamesmanship, there are plenty of places where you can ply your evil trickery other than these honorable email matches. There is IBS ( I Be Sneaky), and ARA ( Always Rats Around), etc.

Having guns that load themselves is bad enough, now this. Gentlemen, you should be ashamed of yourselves. GG
Old 01-15-2003, 10:53 PM
JL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Golly GG,
Who put rabbit poop in your Cocoa Puffs? Where's the Gordy we've all come to know and...and...like a lot?
We're not talkin' about cheatin'! We're talkin' about keepin' our ammo warm. We all don't live in California where you guys wear a jacket when the temp drops below 70. And go runnin' the that cushie in-door range when the wind blows a little bit. Just jokin'!!! JL aka HB
Old 01-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JL...

....in other words, do like GG and build yourself an indoor range...

If you read his post very carefully, he ADMITS it's cheating...

Old 01-16-2003, 07:49 AM
1st 10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I don't keep my ammo warm, it freezes to the bbl when I load it Ok, maybe not.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:10 AM
xxring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo in the front of my pants would make my gun disappear.....derringer don't ya know.

GG you ought to come out here where the weather this morning is 28 degrees and we have a 40 mph wind. That puts the wind chill factor way below the pucker mark. You would have to change out of that thong that Calif is so famous for into at least a pair of skivies........ I aint tough enough to shoot in this stuff but on lesser windy days I think I will try a few things and see what happens. Appreciate the help fellas.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:00 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Hand warmer? What's that for. Summer's get to 115 in the shade here. Better to find something to keep the ammo cool.

Anyway, yes it does help to keep your ammo at a resonable temperature. Keep it in separate boxes and in a insolated container throughout the day. You will notice a big difference between the ammo used in the morning at that in the afternoon after it has cooked for a few hours. I especially find this in the .223 but all ammo acts the same way.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Gordon Gauge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"JL...

....in other words, do like GG and build yourself an indoor range...

If you read his post very carefully, he ADMITS it's cheating..."

DOH!

GG

p.s. JL, rabbit poop?? The guy what sold 'em to me said they were SMART PILLS!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:29 PM
JL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

LOL,
Well Gordy, do ya feel any smarter? HEHE! JL aka HB
Old 01-17-2003, 01:21 AM
Bob Walling
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Warm Ammo

You guys are getting too serious here.
Anyway, this it what I use for my ammo. Not so much for the lube as to have the powder at a warmer temp, like shooting in the summer here, 65 to 85 deg's. and don't get down on me about heat, I worked on a line crew in vegas in the 60's. Anyway, I have a camo pouch for keeping your hands warm while hunting. It has a small zipped compartment that I put my handwarmer in, the kind that has the little charcol sticks. I put the ammo in the main compartment and it will warm to about 70 - 75 Deg's. Works for me and I can also leave my hands in there between relays. BTW, since I shoot mainly benchrest rimfire, I only single load, guess this info doesn't apply here.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know what temperature youze guyz are talking about, but I'm pretty sure that I could keep a loaded magazine warm, inside my clothes or whatever (at least in THIS weather), but I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time I loaded it in the gun and fired the magazine, The last shells would probably be at ambient temperature, and the difference from the first shot to the last would leave a vertical string you could use for a ladder...

Might be totally off base, but it seems like it would be better in the long run to let them all go stone cold rather than suffer a graduated scale from the first to the last......

I would come to a different conclusion if I was talking about a big centerfire case... But that is all it is, is woolgathering, because I've never tried it at extreme temps..

Old 01-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Forester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with Ron. Having all the ammo the same temp as it goes into the chamber is more important that what that temperature is--within reason, of course. During cold weather, I've seen guys take 2 boxes of ammo up to the line in their coat pockets. They put one on the bench and shoot out of it until it gets cold, then they put it back in to get warm and get out the other box. I just shoot mine all cold. I guess it's just like everything else about shooting, consistency is the name of the game.