Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Joe A.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark lll - Mark IV magazines

I’m referring to the STANDARD Mark lll magazines, NOT the 22/45 magazines, will the regular Mark lll magazines work in my Mark IV Hunter?

The standard Mark lll magazines I see at local gun stores have a blue finish and the rear feed lips are different than on my stainless Mark IV Hunter magazines. Will they work?

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Bdwbiggdogg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes they will work I have mark III and mark Iv and they work just fine ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply.

Joe

Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Everything about those magazines vs. the 22/45 ones are also the same except the bases. If someone gave you a 22/45 mag (MKIII or MKIV), and you had a standard frame mag base to slide on it, you could swap that out as well and it would work fine.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:16 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Work in my Mark IV Hunter just fine.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. I'll pick up a couple. That'll make 5 magazines and with 5, it's easy to add 50 rounds in my mind each time I load them to help keep up with round count.

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll pick up a couple. That'll make 5 magazines and with 5, it's easy to add 50 rounds in my mind each time I load them to help keep up with round count.

Thanks

Joe
Good idea. I consider 5 to be the minimum number of magazines I'll keep for any range gun. Saves time and grief especially if gaming with them.
p.s. Number/Mark your magazines that way you'll have refference to the offenders should any of them go out of tune/ casue misfeeds.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
With 5 mags, get a McFadden loader as well. Drop a box in it, load all 5. Done deal. Yes, its worth the $20.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
With 5 mags, get a McFadden loader as well. Drop a box in it, load all 5. Done deal. Yes, its worth the $20.
No thanks! My 14 year old Grandson has no trouble running thru a box of Fed Auto Match in record time with the HKS loaders.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again for the replies. I just picked up two Mark IV magazines same as what came with my Mark IV Hunter at Walther Craig’s in Montgomery between softball games at the state championships. That makes 5 identical magazines for me.

Joe
Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
No thanks! My 14 year old Grandson has no trouble running thru a box of Fed Auto Match in record time with the HKS loaders.
you have a grand child who likes to shoot and you dare COMPLAIN?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 AM
MyNameIsEarl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Based on experience with different firearm models and different magazine brands my main comment is: magazines are NOT an accessory. You might make many brands of magazines function some or even most of the time. That goes for magazine A being used in model B. Maybe so, maybe not.

I usually load 5 for practice purposes, but after reading some posts here I loaded 10 rounds and sure enough the top 2 rounds would fall out on their own weight. The factory was gracious enough to replace those original MKIV mags. I looked closely, but I could not see the difference between original and improved. But the newer ones didn't have the problem of rounds falling out.

Magazines are made to fairly exacting dimensions out of spring steel. Pounding on them or bending the feed lips is crude even if you think you know what the problem is. And, spring steel has a memory, so even if you bend something today, it will not be that way tomorrow. Just a few thoughts. Use the magazines made for your firearm.

MyNameIsEarl
Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsEarl View Post
Based on experience with different firearm models and different magazine brands my main comment is: magazines are NOT an accessory. You might make many brands of magazines function some or even most of the time. That goes for magazine A being used in model B. Maybe so, maybe not.

I usually load 5 for practice purposes, but after reading some posts here I loaded 10 rounds and sure enough the top 2 rounds would fall out on their own weight. The factory was gracious enough to replace those original MKIV mags. I looked closely, but I could not see the difference between original and improved. But the newer ones didn't have the problem of rounds falling out.

Magazines are made to fairly exacting dimensions out of spring steel. Pounding on them or bending the feed lips is crude even if you think you know what the problem is. And, spring steel has a memory, so even if you bend something today, it will not be that way tomorrow. Just a few thoughts. Use the magazines made for your firearm.

MyNameIsEarl
I went back and read through every post in the thread, and now I'm trying to figure out what exactly you're talking about. Use the magazines made for your firearm. Ok. As in "don't try to use a Glock mag in a Beretta"? Because all I've seen here was about Ruger factory magazines for MK series pistols. MKIII and MKIV. Mag bodies are the same. Springs, followers, all that. Only differences are the baseplates used on Standard frames, MKIII 22/45's, and MKIV 22/45's. And those baseplates can be swapped out and interchanged with baseplates for the corresponding model and you essentially have the same thing. As far as bending feed lips to tune a 22 mag, thats not all that uncommon. The magazines you sent back to Ruger likely could have been tuned to work fine with little effort, though given the opportunity to make them replace them is even better than having to mess with it.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:21 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking new nickel plated MK III/MKIV mags

on e-bay 32.00 for a 2 pack, free shipping. I just received my 2 pack today, the nickel finish is really NICE dark gray ,very smooth.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:12 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (118)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
on e-bay 32.00 for a 2 pack, free shipping. I just received my 2 pack today, the nickel finish is really NICE dark gray ,very smooth.
Just ordered 2 also. I sure can't beat that price around here. I support the local gun shops when their prices are close to those on the Internet, but a $14.00 savings for 2 magazines is too good to pass up.

Hank