Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ruger Mark IV Bank Vault Locking Block

I have a Ruger Mark IV Hunter. I did not care for the cheap Locking Block that comes on them from the factory. I decided to purchase the Majestic Arm Bank Vault Locking Block. It is stainless steel and should never where out. Of course I did not know anything about it at the time, so thought that I would give it a try.

I have had it on my Mark IV for about 6 months. At first lock up seemed good and did not notice any movement between the barrel and frame. I put a Primary Arms Red Dot on my Mark IV today and noticed just a little movement between the barrel and frame, so I adjusted the set screw in the Locking Block to tighten the barrel up. Shot 200 rounds through it and when disassembled I noticed that the locking block adjustment was digging into the receiver. I wondered about this when I purchased it. Did not see anyone complaining of this on the forums.

I ended up using a small piece of cork that you can make automotive gaskets out of. I placed the small piece of cork over the adjustment screw after adjusting it all the way back down.

Now the Barrel/Receiver fit is really nice and tight and no gauging into the receiver from the Bank Vault Locking Block adjustment screw .

Works well and very happy with the steel part over the plastic stock Ruger part that came in the pistol.

I would imagine that the Ruger part would have lasted a while but eventually I would have had to replace it. Now no worries, the cork will be easily replaced if ever needed and also gives a little pressure on the receiver and frame fit with no wear.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this on theirs if they have the Vault Locking Block Installed.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Good information to know.

Joe
Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a MK IV 22/45 and it may be different than the regular MK IV. Mine has a hole in the frame, so I stuck a short piece of fuel line hose in the hole and it sticks out a little bit. When I put the two pieces together, it squishes the hose and holds everything really snug.

Last edited by agksimon; 04-28-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 06:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
agksimon,
I do not have a 22/45. That is next on my list. So nice to hear what others are using. Thnx
Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I am trying to wear out my MK IV Competition as fast as I can. So far, I have had no problems with lock-up. If I ever do have problems, this product has appealed to my better sense of judgement (whatever that's worth ):

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1469
Old 04-27-2019, 08:06 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
my MKIV stainless TARGET

I believe it has a rubber plug with a ball bearing under it to cushion the frame to barrel fit. I contacted ruger C/S and they sent me 2 spare rubber plugs. I do not take mine down very often so this should last a long time.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ammohog

That is exactly what I did with the cork gasket material. I just used one layer. Worked very well. So those gel pads probably would be very good also. I like the bank vault but definitely don't like the damage it will cause on the receiver. With the cork and adjusted all the way down I like it, but with the gel pad or the cork the Ruger factory block would have worked just as well.

But I thought that I would try it and see what it was like.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Bimmer74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
If I ever do have problems, this product has appealed to my better sense of judgement (whatever that's worth ):

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1469

Stupid question: Could I just use any self-adhesive rubber bumper (like I have to put under furniture legs) to the same effect?
Old 04-27-2019, 04:51 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Another stupid question...actually, several.
Doesn't the Ruger seat well enough in its stock form? is accuracy negatively affected? Is this something Ruger should have added, but didn't?
How long are the VQ Gels likely to last, given seldom taking the pistol apart?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:26 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
Another stupid question...actually, several.
Doesn't the Ruger seat well enough in its stock form? is accuracy negatively affected? Is this something Ruger should have added, but didn't?
How long are the VQ Gels likely to last, given seldom taking the pistol apart?
Yes, it shoots very well in the stock form (VQ firing pin and extractor). I have no problem hitting the 6" plate 10 for 10 at 50 yards with CCI SV, using a Browning Red dot from the bench, about 7 of 10 standing. I have read other post about members problems (aka accuracy) due to lockup being loose. If I had that problem, VQ will probably get my business. Getting in touch with Ruger is the first option I would explore. I take mine apart every time after I shoot, for cleaning. I shoot at least 100 to 200 rounds a session. Bronze brush and Hoppe's, borescope often, simply because I have learned about .22LR pistols and leading from decades of experience. I have no qualms about using JB Paste if there is any doubt. Guns are mechanical, parts wear down to the point of being replaced. ....... AH

Last edited by ammohog; 04-27-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do not have a lot of experience with the Ruger Block but they have a rubber bumper in their block from what I remember. Eventually that rubber bumper will wear out. Better that wear out than the steel wearing out from something harder than it is. I know Ruger will replace them but I thought that the Bank Vault Locking Block looked like a good idea. But I did wonder about the metal of the block and the receiver putting pressure on each other.

They due and I saw a little wear on the receiver from that steel block, that is why I started using the cork gasket material. Shot 250 rounds out of her Saturday and worked really well. Seems to have no problems.

Story really is I am not unhappy with the bank vault locking block because of the looks only. But the Ruger locking block will do the job and they will replace it if necessary or you can use something like the cork material that when it wears you can cut another little strip for less than a penny and move on.

If I were to do it again I would not of bought the Bank Vault Locking Block, but it was a new item on a new gun that has a week point that needed to be built in to the pistol. I gave it a try and it did not work out the best. So if you are looking into one of these you have a little more info on them as of now. At least more than I did when I bought mine.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 04-28-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 PM
alramr
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Instead of using the factory Ruger rubber bushing, can the hole be tapped and use a nylon set screw?
Old 04-28-2019, 08:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am not sure, I looked for the original factory part but I think it got trashed. Been to long really don't remember what the inside looked like. Might be rubber formed inside just not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:10 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
get some yellow fuel line for a weedeater or chainsaw at a hardware store. cut a piece to fit and put it in that hole that the original rubber part was in. Its like $1 a foot maybe. Will serve the same purpose. I'm over 10000rds on my factory, but when I start having issues, I'm trying that first.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
None of my 3 MK-IV's have been shot enough (yet) for me to be concerned about this, but since I keep seeing it mentioned around here, I've been "planning for it". In that regard, I have a zip-loc baggie in my large stationary tool box that is full of different sized, self-stick, rubber "bumpers/feet" (& assorted felt pads). These bumpers/feet are intended mostly to soften the closing of (kitchen and ?) cabinet doors, as well as to be used as little feet under items such as jewelry/storage boxes, little statues, and other things that could scratch wood table tops and such. No doubt there are countless other things they could be used for.
Anyway, to me these self-stick bumpers/feet look like a perfect low cost fix, if or when any of my MK-IV's have enough wear on them.