Buying another Upper - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Oct 2018
Location: 
Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 
33
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buying another Upper



Log in to see fewer ads
I'm currently running 2 Mark 4's a slabside and a LITE, like the slab alot, but after a while, it just gets heavy. Wirthwein Guns is selling new uppers, ranging from Standard 4'' barrels to LITE shrouds with barrels and sights from $90 to $250. I'm thinking of getting one for my slab frame to reduce the overall weight. Since I already have a LITE, my choices are the 5.5" bull barrel, or the 4" or 6" Standard upper, which would probably give me the lightest pistol. Any thoughts?

Or I could sell the slab and buy a Standard.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Areoflyer09

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
22
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have a stainless frame, switching to a standard will get you an aluminum frame. I wouldn’t give up my stainless frame personally.

Otherwise, you’ll most likely end up losing money to sell your current and picking up a standard model. I would just pick out he upper that you like (Ruger, Volquartsen, TacSol) and get another upper.

I’d guess that you may not experience a large overall weight drop between the slab barrel and a target barrel, but the weight will be closer to your hand.

I love my slab side upper, but I will be getting a TacSol upper for mine as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 PM
27 Beck's Avatar
27 Beck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2009
Location: 
OH
Posts: 
3,392
TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Another voice of support for a TacSol barrel.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Oct 2018
Location: 
Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 
33
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
If you have a stainless frame, switching to a standard will get you an aluminum frame. I wouldn’t give up my stainless frame personally.

Otherwise, you’ll most likely end up losing money to sell your current and picking up a standard model. I would just pick out he upper that you like (Ruger, Volquartsen, TacSol) and get another upper.

I’d guess that you may not experience a large overall weight drop between the slab barrel and a target barrel, but the weight will be closer to your hand.

I love my slab side upper, but I will be getting a TacSol upper for mine as well.
Are you getting a T_S upper because of the weight of the slabside upper, or is there another reason?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM
kirby999's Avatar
kirby999

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
3,442
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Get yourself another Lite upper . I bought two from them . Swapped out a Tactical and a 5.5” bull . No regrets , I’d do again if I were starting over.
Or go ahead and get a 4.5” Volquartsen upper . I’ve actually thought of buying another lower and getting a 6” VQ upper . Kirby
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Areoflyer09

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
22
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post

Are you getting a T_S upper because of the weight of the slabside upper, or is there another reason?
60% because I got on the list with Wirthwein's for an 8.5” barrel. 30% because it’s threaded. 10% because the MkIV is so easy to swap uppers, why not have more than one?

I actually really like the weight of the Competition model. It’s very steady for me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Flash_80

Join Date: 
Oct 2004
Location: 
Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 
3,270
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A standard 5.5" Bull will run about $95 on Volquartsen's closeout page after shipping. They list at $60, but I think the shipping is like $30-35. Kind of rough on that shipping charge, but overall still comes out not bad. Pretty sure these are takeoffs from pistols they took the frames from to make those Black Mamba's.

If you really wanted to drop some coin though, this is as low as I've seen the VQ with all the junk on it from Brownells. There was a $30 off coupon when I got mine a few weeks ago, but don't know if there still is.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa....aspx?psize=96
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Flash_80

Join Date: 
Oct 2004
Location: 
Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 
3,270
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A standard 5.5" Bull will run about $95 on Volquartsen's closeout page after shipping. They list at $60, but I think the shipping is like $30-35. Kind of rough on that shipping charge, but overall still comes out not bad. Pretty sure these are takeoffs from pistols they took the frames from to make those Black Mamba's.

If you really wanted to drop some coin though, this is as low as I've seen the VQ with all the junk on it from Brownells. There was a $30 off coupon when I got mine a few weeks ago, but don't know if there still is.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa....aspx?psize=96
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 PM
benniesdad
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Location: 
Georgia
Posts: 
10
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post
I'm currently running 2 Mark 4's a slabside and a LITE, like the slab alot, but after a while, it just gets heavy. Wirthwein Guns is selling new uppers, ranging from Standard 4'' barrels to LITE shrouds with barrels and sights from $90 to $250. I'm thinking of getting one for my slab frame to reduce the overall weight. Since I already have a LITE, my choices are the 5.5" bull barrel, or the 4" or 6" Standard upper, which would probably give me the lightest pistol. Any thoughts?

Or I could sell the slab and buy a Standard.
Personally I think you would be better off going with the 5.5” bull barrel vs a standard otherwise you will give up adjustable sights. That is JMO. One other thing to consider is replacing the Competition’s grip with a Volquartsen Target Grip. Obviously it won’t reduce the weight but it will change the balance and distribute the weight differently. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Flash_80

Join Date: 
Oct 2004
Location: 
Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 
3,270
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd agree on that. I've got a Standard upper sitting in a box from the first LLV4 build I did. It never gets shot. I filed the front sight to get it to hit to point of aim at one time, but just because I was bored. If it wasn't an FFL piece, I'd have gotten rid of it by now. If it were me, adjustable sights would be a must.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does a milspec m1 upper handguard fit the 10/22 ex313 Anything 10/22 2 02-08-2019 01:54 PM
Ruger sights on VQ upper ? kirby999 22/45 Mark IV 8 04-19-2018 03:19 PM
How about some NEW recommendations for a dedicated AR-15 upper in .22LR? rustymusket AR-15 22LR Uppers & Conversions 15 10-19-2017 02:09 PM
AR upper in 17HMR supersharp .17HMR 10 07-12-2017 11:53 PM
Extra MK II upper receiver arnoldr Mark II 11 06-14-2017 11:19 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x