Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buying another Upper

I'm currently running 2 Mark 4's a slabside and a LITE, like the slab alot, but after a while, it just gets heavy. Wirthwein Guns is selling new uppers, ranging from Standard 4'' barrels to LITE shrouds with barrels and sights from $90 to $250. I'm thinking of getting one for my slab frame to reduce the overall weight. Since I already have a LITE, my choices are the 5.5" bull barrel, or the 4" or 6" Standard upper, which would probably give me the lightest pistol. Any thoughts?

Or I could sell the slab and buy a Standard.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Areoflyer09

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have a stainless frame, switching to a standard will get you an aluminum frame. I wouldn’t give up my stainless frame personally.

Otherwise, you’ll most likely end up losing money to sell your current and picking up a standard model. I would just pick out he upper that you like (Ruger, Volquartsen, TacSol) and get another upper.

I’d guess that you may not experience a large overall weight drop between the slab barrel and a target barrel, but the weight will be closer to your hand.

I love my slab side upper, but I will be getting a TacSol upper for mine as well.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 PM
27 Beck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Another voice of support for a TacSol barrel.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
If you have a stainless frame, switching to a standard will get you an aluminum frame. I wouldn’t give up my stainless frame personally.

Otherwise, you’ll most likely end up losing money to sell your current and picking up a standard model. I would just pick out he upper that you like (Ruger, Volquartsen, TacSol) and get another upper.

I’d guess that you may not experience a large overall weight drop between the slab barrel and a target barrel, but the weight will be closer to your hand.

I love my slab side upper, but I will be getting a TacSol upper for mine as well.
Are you getting a T_S upper because of the weight of the slabside upper, or is there another reason?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Get yourself another Lite upper . I bought two from them . Swapped out a Tactical and a 5.5” bull . No regrets , I’d do again if I were starting over.
Or go ahead and get a 4.5” Volquartsen upper . I’ve actually thought of buying another lower and getting a 6” VQ upper . Kirby
Old 04-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Areoflyer09

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post

Are you getting a T_S upper because of the weight of the slabside upper, or is there another reason?
60% because I got on the list with Wirthwein's for an 8.5” barrel. 30% because it’s threaded. 10% because the MkIV is so easy to swap uppers, why not have more than one?

I actually really like the weight of the Competition model. It’s very steady for me.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A standard 5.5" Bull will run about $95 on Volquartsen's closeout page after shipping. They list at $60, but I think the shipping is like $30-35. Kind of rough on that shipping charge, but overall still comes out not bad. Pretty sure these are takeoffs from pistols they took the frames from to make those Black Mamba's.

If you really wanted to drop some coin though, this is as low as I've seen the VQ with all the junk on it from Brownells. There was a $30 off coupon when I got mine a few weeks ago, but don't know if there still is.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa....aspx?psize=96
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A standard 5.5" Bull will run about $95 on Volquartsen's closeout page after shipping. They list at $60, but I think the shipping is like $30-35. Kind of rough on that shipping charge, but overall still comes out not bad. Pretty sure these are takeoffs from pistols they took the frames from to make those Black Mamba's.

If you really wanted to drop some coin though, this is as low as I've seen the VQ with all the junk on it from Brownells. There was a $30 off coupon when I got mine a few weeks ago, but don't know if there still is.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa....aspx?psize=96
Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 PM
benniesdad
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigborgel View Post
I'm currently running 2 Mark 4's a slabside and a LITE, like the slab alot, but after a while, it just gets heavy. Wirthwein Guns is selling new uppers, ranging from Standard 4'' barrels to LITE shrouds with barrels and sights from $90 to $250. I'm thinking of getting one for my slab frame to reduce the overall weight. Since I already have a LITE, my choices are the 5.5" bull barrel, or the 4" or 6" Standard upper, which would probably give me the lightest pistol. Any thoughts?

Or I could sell the slab and buy a Standard.
Personally I think you would be better off going with the 5.5” bull barrel vs a standard otherwise you will give up adjustable sights. That is JMO. One other thing to consider is replacing the Competition’s grip with a Volquartsen Target Grip. Obviously it won’t reduce the weight but it will change the balance and distribute the weight differently. Just an idea.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd agree on that. I've got a Standard upper sitting in a box from the first LLV4 build I did. It never gets shot. I filed the front sight to get it to hit to point of aim at one time, but just because I was bored. If it wasn't an FFL piece, I'd have gotten rid of it by now. If it were me, adjustable sights would be a must.