Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Joe A.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Mark IV Hunter

I got a new Mark IV Hunter today. I also looked at a Mark IV Competition but liked the grips on the Hunter better than the target grips on the Competition. The Hunter just felt better. Also, I was surprised that the Hunters I saw had the square notched rear sight instead of the wide V rear sight. The red fiber optic front will be swapped out with the white one. I have a Miroku 1873 Winchester that came with a brass bead that was like holding a sparkler up to aim by. I replaced it with a white bead and it works great for me. I have 70 year young eyes.

When I got home I took it down to clean and lube. Then I headed to the pasture. I shot CCI MM at first, then Federal 36 grain Value Pack, then Federal Auto Match, and last was Remington Thunder Bolts. Believe it or not, the Thunderbolts shot the best at 2 inches at 25 yards. Then I started shooting fired shot shells at between 15 and 20 yards. I love shooting shot shell hulls and I have plenty of them. I also shot my Browning Buck Mark + and I believe I like the MK IV Hunter better. In over 300 rounds thru the Ruger only issue I had was I had to retighten the front sight.

I tried to post a image but no luck.

Joe
Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the hunter mark IV myself. Mine prefers the really high velocity stuff like the browning 40gr. Hollow points. I also have the buckmark plus. Both are very accurate. The front sight came loose on mine too. I used blue loctite. Enjoy your new Ruger.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot the Mark IV again today, I’m up to near 800 rounds with no type of malfunction. No misfires at all and today I shot some near 20 year old ammo.

Last night I applied Permatec blue to front sight screw and no more shooting loose. Also replaced the red fiber rod with the white rod and removed the right side safety. I’m liking the white rod in the front sight better than the red.

As I mentioned in my first post my Hunter has the square notch rear sight. The adjustments seems to be a little funky at times. Has there been any posted issues concerning the rear sight? Mine seems not to move the POI at times and all of a sudden it moves. May just be me.

While shooting today I had some real nice groups in the 1.25 - 1.5” range with some still at 2” but all with a couple of flyers. Flyer should have been my middle name. Also had some of those groups that I don’t know what happened.

All in all, a good day. I’m enjoying shooting it. My Browning Buck Mark + UDX is feeling left out.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot my Ruger Hunter with a Burris FF 111 today. Shooting at 25 yards off a rolled up shipping blanket, CCI SV shot slightly over 1 inch including 1 20 shot group at 1.125Ē that I was happy with. Also shot 2 magazines of Eley Force I had that didnít do too well.

What surprised me was the Federal 525 round bulk pack 36 grain hp. They averaged
1.5Ē. Iím glad Iíve got a lot of that. Most likely that will be my go to ammo.

I will soon do something with the trigger. Learning toward the Volquartsen Accuracy kit. It may not improve my accuracy much, but Iím sure itíll be easier to shoot small groups.

Joe
Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM
benniesdad
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post

I will soon do something with the trigger. Learning toward the Volquartsen Accuracy kit. It may not improve my accuracy much, but Iím sure itíll be easier to shoot small groups.

Joe
Congrats on the new Mk IV Hunter. I think that loose front sight screws seem to be on a number of their models. My Competition had similar problems. I think you will be really happy with the improvement that the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit will make. I have several Mk II's with stock triggers that are awesome but the stock triggers on my Mk IV's were terrible. It will also get rid of the magazine disconnect. Make sure you use Loctite for the resent and over-travel screws in the trigger because they will definitely not stay put without it. Good shooting.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks.

Joe
Old 04-23-2019, 08:58 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I shot my Ruger Hunter with a Burris FF 111 today. Shooting at 25 yards off a rolled up shipping blanket, CCI SV shot slightly over 1 inch including 1 20 shot group at 1.125Ē that I was happy with. Also shot 2 magazines of Eley Force I had that didnít do too well.

What surprised me was the Federal 525 round bulk pack 36 grain hp. They averaged
1.5Ē. Iím glad Iíve got a lot of that. Most likely that will be my go to ammo.

Joe
Now you are talking! It hard to beat the CCI Std for the price v performance.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the Mark IV Hunter and the Mark III Competition. I also did not like the competition grips so I bought a set of Hunter grips for the Competition. Both shoot really well. Never shoot them for groups, just shoot steel plates with both. Same as you they function great. I have the rear V-Notch on both with front fiber optic sight. I like the V-Rear sight.

Congratulations on yours. Great pistols
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I have the Mark IV Hunter and the Mark III Competition. I also did not like the competition grips so I bought a set of Hunter grips for the Competition. Both shoot really well. Never shoot them for groups, just shoot steel plates with both. Same as you they function great. I have the rear V-Notch on both with front fiber optic sight. I like the V-Rear sight.

Congratulations on yours. Great pistols
As I've mentioned earlier, my favorite targets are fired shotshell hulls and plastic practice golf balls. Rarely I shoot targets with a 22. Yesterday I was checking out the red dot that I had recently mounted and was checking out a High Standard Victor. I solely shoot for fun and relaxation.

Joe
Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Joe
That is the best way to enjoy a .22 just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
As I've mentioned earlier, my favorite targets are fired shotshell hulls and plastic practice golf balls. Rarely I shoot targets with a 22. Yesterday I was checking out the red dot that I had recently mounted and was checking out a High Standard Victor. I solely shoot for fun and relaxation.

Joe
This describes my approach also. I love nice target grade .22 pistols but about the only time that I shoot paper is when I am sighting them in. For me nothing beats a few hours spent in casual plinking and shooting targets that will bounce and move around.