Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Flint123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Allchin MK Micro Mount

Hi Folks,
First post here. Following on from the red dot mounting plate thread I'm going to purchase the Allchin mount to use with a Vortex Razor red dot on a Ruger MkIV. Some of the posts on the above thread noted that screws or other parts were missing on their orders so I would really appreciate it if somebody who has bought the Allchin unit could tell me what should be provided. I expect that along with the mount there will be 2 screws to mount the base to the receiver as well as some pins to locate the red dot on the base. Also should I use blue locktite and will I need a torque wrench (something I don't own). Thanks in advance for any info provided
Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm one of the posters that received the Allchin mount with a couple of missing items but John Allchin was very quick to respond to my e-mail and correct the problem.

There should be two short #6-48 screws to mount the base to the receiver, two longer #6-48 screws to mount some red dot models and two equally long but #8 screws for other red dots and a couple of short pins to go into the mounting holes that match the red dot's base. The pins are very small so be careful not to lose them.

Yes, use Blue (Grade 242) Locktite on the screws that mount the base to the receiver. It is not necessary to Locktite the screws that mount the red dot to the base but it won't hurt. The recommended torque is 12-15 inch-pounds and a torque wrench is useful but not essential. You want the screws good and snug but don't go nuts with the screw driver.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:15 PM
snooker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remember that the mount is aluminum, so, as 22/45 Fan said, don't go nuts tightening.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You won't hurt the mount tightening down (unless you go gorilla on it or something). Stripping threads in an aluminum receiver on the other hand if that were the case would be a distinct possibility though (lite, Pac-lite).

I've got one, so does my cousin. Both are on Pac-Lite uppers. The thing you have to make sure to do when ordering is to say what receiver it is going on. Ruger receivers have a different thread pattern mounting screw than the Pac-Lite uppers do. A finer pitch thread, which works on the Ruger steel receiver, but not the best choice for aluminum. I got the wrong screws initially, and had to email back for Pac-lite screws.

The mount as said above will come with a few different types of screws for mounting different red dots. The mount has a couple different mount hole setups in the top of it for different optics. The Razor is one that it fits just fine. That sight has the same standard mounting patter that the Viper, RTS2, and Fastfire III have. Most of those will have two indentions on the bottom of the sight that the little nubs on the factory mount slot up into. John's mount has small holes that mate up to that area, then has these tiny (and I mean tiny) little plastic plugs that go into those holes to serve as the mounting lugs. Don't lose those, it would probably be really easy to do.

I've never used a torque wrench, I just don't get stupid with tightening it down. Loc-tite on the receiver mount screws was a must for me with both aluminum Pac-lite receivers that I mounted them on. Maybe its something to do with aluminum. Either way, it was loose after 25rds any time I didn't degrease and loctite it. I don't think I loc-tited the red dot to the Allchin base though.

Its a very good sight base. Can remove the optic, leave the base mounted, and still use the iron sights. And it will be close to zero when put back on. Obviously not going to be dead nutz on, but you could remount it and hit a coke can or something.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:50 AM
Flint123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks very much. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. I'm in Europe so I have asked a relative in the United States to buy this for me. I can now tell him what to expect to find in the package before sending it on. I've got the MKIV Tactical. I take it that this has a steel receiver.

Last edited by Flint123; 04-06-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint123 View Post
I've got the MKIV Tactical. I take it that this has a steel receiver.
Yes, it does. As noted, the threaded holes in the Ruger receiver and the mounting screws are #6-48 tpi so don't lose any of them as you are going to have real problems finding replacements in Europe!

Just for the information of other readers, as noted, the Ruger mounting screws are #6-48. Pac-Lite uppers are threaded #6-40 and, of course, the two aren't at all interchangeable. I found this out when I ordered a Picatinny Rail for my 22/45 MkII from Tactical Solutions and it came with #6-40 mounting screws as they assumed I had a Pac-Lite upper. The did send me the proper #6-48 screws when I asked.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Flint123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Folks. I got the Allchin mount but I have a small problem with it. The hole nearest the rear sight on the MKIV Tactical is drilled right through the receiver and the supplied screw is slightly too long so that if its tightened all the way down its catching the bolt. I've had to back this out and did use blue locktite but I'm wondering if this will now hold zero. I have not shot it yet. I suppose that filing the screw down is the answer but as the screws are not easy to get I'm reluctant to do this just yet. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would contact the maker and tell him the problem. From the previous posts it seems he is quick to help out.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint123 View Post
Hi Folks. I got the Allchin mount but I have a small problem with it. The hole nearest the rear sight on the MKIV Tactical is drilled right through the receiver and the supplied screw is slightly too long so that if its tightened all the way down its catching the bolt. I've had to back this out and did use blue locktite but I'm wondering if this will now hold zero. I have not shot it yet. I suppose that filing the screw down is the answer but as the screws are not easy to get I'm reluctant to do this just yet. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks
The Allchin mounting screws are marginal for the depth of the rear receiver hole. In some cases, the rear screw may drag on the bolt when tightened fully and you really must tighten it all the way.

Mine just missed the bolt but I did file it down until it was flush with the inside of the receiver when torqued down. I recommend you do just that.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine were all good. One longer than the other (front vs. rear). But yes, email John and he'll send another set.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Mine were all good. One longer than the other (front vs. rear). But yes, email John and he'll send another set.
I don't think the two short bolts that fasten the mount to the receiver differ in length. I'm pretty sure they are identical based on looking at them and a comment made by John when I told him one was missing. Just file down the one you put in the rear hole if it's a bit too long.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They are. Trust me, I took them out of my cousin's Pac-Lite yesterday, and had to discern between the two at the time. His mount has never stayed in place on this Pac-Lite though my own hasn't had an issue, even de-greased and with blue loctite. (this one is about to get some red Loctite) My screws came from John in two separate bags. One marked Tacsol rear, and the other marked Tacsol Front. My Cousin's mount the same. I also still have the screws for a Ruger thread pattern than John sent to me first because he didn't pay attention to our emails where I said I had Pac-Lite receiver. Those are marked front and rear as well.

Now John may be shipping the shorter screws for both front and rear at this point, but a year ago, he was sending a longer screw for the front which doesn't protude down into the bolt area. The shorter screw will be fine up front, but a longer one obviously will be a problem in the rear.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Flint123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Folks. I did not see a difference in size on the two screws I received and its almost certainly the case that the front screw is also too long but appears to tighten as its reached the end of the screw hole. I will contact the maker.

Last edited by Flint123; 04-18-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure what Allchin provided in the past but the two mounting screws for mine (received about a moth ago) appear to be exactly the same length and were not shipped separately or marked separately. The front screw tightened perfectly and the rear screw did clear the bolt but I shortened it a couple of thousands just to be sure there was no interference. So far after a couple of hundred rounds, no problems.

As to mounting it on a Pac-Lite receiver, I've never dealt with one of them personally. I do know their screw threads are different (#6-40 vs #6-48 for the Ruger) and possibly the depth is different too. I wonder if your cousin's Pac-Lite was damaged by attempting to use Ruger thread screws in the past. If it needs Red Loctite, something is really wrong.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wondered that too, but he said his mount only came with the one set of screws. I pulled them and checked them this past weekend against the Ruger ones I have, and they are the Pac-lite thread pitch. (John actually sent him the old style mount, and when he emailed back, John told him to just keep it and sent the new version as well) I don't know what the deal is with his not holding. I didn't loctite my pac-lite the first time, and it was loose after 20rds. It hasn't budged since though after I put blue on it.

No idea why he's changed on sending the shortened screw, like you said, maybe the Ruger receiver is thicker and its not totally necessary. Here's what came with mine. Kind of hard to see, but the shortened rear is in its own bag, and the Ruger front was in the bag with all of the rest of the mounting stuff. The bags were already labeled. The ones for the Ruger were also slotted screws and the ones for the Pac-lite were Torx.

Last edited by Flash_80; 04-18-2019 at 04:17 PM.