Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:51 PM
xdm9mm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
nother Mark IV issue - Loose Frame Lug

Since it's getting boring in the MKIV forum, I thought I will post a new "observation" with my Ruger Mark IV...

Frame Lug is loose no matter how I tighten the lug screw.

At first I did not notice this, but I couldn't seem to group as good as with my previous Mark IV both Hunter and Competition.

So I started to look for potential culprits, and found one...loose frame lug

Can you please check your frame lug if it is also loose if you have spare time and post here.

I am already well known to Ruger, and I don't want to contact them again if I can avoid it...

video:
https://youtu.be/BJ-cBfzSEnM

this is what makes it tight for now

Thank you
Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the music!!

What is in the pic? rust?

More details,,, please,,,
Old 11-11-2017, 08:41 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
I like the music!!

What is in the pic? rust?

More details,,, please,,,
I didn't even notice the music, it could that my ears are immune to it, and I was concentrating on the "sweet" clicking sound of the frame lug hitting the walls of the frame.... that was my daughter practicing her violin...

the brown stuff is just sticky felt paper . It gets squished when I put the barrel and makes it tight in there

Last edited by xdm9mm; 11-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=xdm9mm;9857066]I didn't even notice the music, it could that my ears are immune to it, and I was concentrating on the "sweet" clicking sound of the frame lug hitting the walls of the frame.... that was my daughter practicing her violin...

Your daughter seems to have a good future in music...
Old 11-11-2017, 09:01 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink contact Ruger C/S

I sent them an email about my rubber frame bushing, they sent me a replacement in a few days. I hope they can come up with a better solution to this, the little "rubber thingy " is fragile !
Old 11-11-2017, 09:07 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
I sent them an email about my rubber frame bushing, they sent me a replacement in a few days. I hope they can come up with a better solution to this, the little "rubber thingy " is fragile !
It's not just the rubber in my case, if you watch the video, the lug moves side to side. And the screw is already very tight. This was not the case with the previous ones I had.

Last edited by xdm9mm; 11-12-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:30 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
It's not just the rubber in my case, if you watch the video, the lug moves side to side. And the screw is already very tight. This was not the case with the previous ones I had.
It's possible that your screw is bottomed out in the hole, before it tightens on the lug.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:02 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
It's possible that your screw is bottomed out in the hole, before it tightens on the lug.
Thanks for the input.

I just tried backing the lug screw out about 1/8 turn at a time until the screw was loose, then back in again... lug is still loose.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:07 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Red face OOPS

Quote:
sorry, I didn't view the video. try a spacer under the screw head, maybe, as someone suggested, the screw is bottoming out before it should. I cant figure why but it is worth a try. seems to be too many MKIV problems out there, not right.

Last edited by jon p; 11-12-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I just tried backing the lug screw out about 1/8 turn at a time until the screw was loose, then back in again... lug is still loose.
That is not going to tell you asnything. For a temporary experiment to test this use a washer or something in there with a little thickness. Then grind of the end of the screw as required or move on to the next theory. This seems likely.

BTW, music was very cool. Nice accidental touch of class. Not that I am any judge of that - tone deaf at best.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I was going to hold off until I have fired a few hundred rounds, but thank you for your suggestions, I did this last night...

I slipped a rubber washer ( O-ring ) on the lug screw which removed the lug looseness !

Also put a foam in the hole, which pushes the lug up against the screw

And it's now tight !!!

I know the rubber will wear out and I will need more lighters, because that's where I got the rubber washer

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Last edited by xdm9mm; 11-13-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink try ACE hardware

they should have the exact "O" ring you need, buy some spares. isn't it great when there IS a SIMPLE solution to a problem!! enjoy your MKIV. so far my 2016 WBR MKIV stainless target has bee trouble free, knock on wood. did the recall and put in a TK firing pin, it "runs like a sewing machine".
Old 05-01-2019, 06:00 PM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My frame lug is a little loose too on my hunter . Ruger sent me another plug and everything was tight again. First time out after about 40rds. I get a little side to side play I just installed a VQ gel they sell for the mark IV.Feels really tight again. Hope these things last awhile. Never hear no one on here who has actually used these things.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ya'll are about to make me start to hold my breath about my MK IV. I have had no problems with it-----so far.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mk 4 Competition that the previous owner put a Majestic Arms Bank Vault Lock Block kit into the gun. It's a milled piece that hold the pivot point solid and can be bought on Ebay for about $55. It's well worth the money. Makes for a solid pivot.