Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:55 AM
Jaeger52D
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Postal Matches

Here is a rookie question and I hope this is the correct forum thread to pose it in.

I recently purchased a Winchester 52D and am in the process of equipping it with a Redfield Olympic front sight and an International (hopefully as new Mark 8 if I can find one) rear sight.

My gun club has Monday night "Postal Matches".

So here is my rookie question. Are these .22 matches and is my gun and sight combo permitted?

Is there any other equipment I should show up with so I don't look like a total rube (which I am!!)?

I started at age 12 at a local gun club "Roslyn Rifle & Revolver" on LI shooting win 52's and absolutely loved the comraderie.

Now at age 54, I really want to get back into it.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Postal matches are usually fired on your home course and mailed to a scorer for score assignment or verification. There can be many variations so the best bet is to check with the local match director and get the scoop direct.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Scott J

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger52D View Post
Here is a rookie question and I hope this is the correct forum thread to pose it in.

I recently purchased a Winchester 52D and am in the process of equipping it with a Redfield Olympic front sight and an International (hopefully as new Mark 8 if I can find one) rear sight.

So here is my rookie question. Are these .22 matches and is my gun and sight combo permitted?

Is there any other equipment I should show up with so I don't look like a total rube (which I am!!)?

I started at age 12 at a local gun club "Roslyn Rifle & Revolver" on LI shooting win 52's and absolutely loved the comraderie.

Now at age 54, I really want to get back into it.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Jaeger52D,

If they are shooting prone or position matches(prone, sitting, kneeling, standing(offhand) , you can use a handstop, sling, glove and also a shooting coat. Also since you are shooting open sights you might need a spotting scope to see where your shots are hitting in the bullseye. All this stuff is optional, but it will help stabilize the rifle in the different positions. None of this stuff is needed if they are shooting benchrest matches. All you need for that is a good front rest and a rear bag. Good luck.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Old 07-03-2016, 10:03 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Club postal matches?? Maybe you compete against a team across the country??

Let us know. Maybe we are eligible??
Old 07-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
Postal matches are usually fired on your home course and mailed to a scorer for score assignment or verification. There can be many variations so the best bet is to check with the local match director and get the scoop direct.

Given this part here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger52D View Post
My take is that the club meets Monday night, you shoot one or more targets for score, and then your score(s) are compared to other clubs that are doing the same at their home range.

As for whether your gear qualifies, get with the club's match director and find out ahead of time.