E-nickel magazines - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
E-nickel magazines

Anyone try these new nickel magazines made for the Ruger mark IV? I wonder why they changed em.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím not sure if theyíre nickel or stainless but youíre probably right. All I know is the three Iíve used works great in my Mark IV Hunter. I hope the two I just purchased are just as reliable.

Joe
Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Joe! I was just going by what they say on Shopruger.com. Lady I talked to at Ruger knew nothing at all about em.I guess all the new mark IV come with em.Maybe a nickel plate finish.Lots of the better ammo are nickel plated for smoother reliable feeding so maybe they did em for that.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i would GUESS....

stainless, not plated, maybe we will find out soon.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Optics planet says E-nickel finish,material steel for Ruger 90645 So is the material really stainless steel? What about the nickel stuff
Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper bill View Post
Optics planet says E-nickel finish,material steel for Ruger 90645 So is the material really stainless steel? What about the nickel stuff
The nickel is almost certainly plating over a steel base. If the magazines were really stainless steel I'm sure Ruger would say so.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper bill View Post
Thanks Joe! I was just going by what they say on Shopruger.com. Lady I talked to at Ruger knew nothing at all about em.I guess all the new mark IV come with em.Maybe a nickel plate finish.Lots of the better ammo are nickel plated for smoother reliable feeding so maybe they did em for that.
I'm guessing that eventually all Ruger Mark/RST mags will be done this way.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 AM
bullseye4845

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
E-Nickled magazines

I have done the Electroless Nickel finish for my frames, and magazines for many, many years, and it is not a plain plating, as some of the old nickel finishes in the past. It is a chemical reaction on the metal, that will not chip or peel, if done correctly, and can hardly be cut with a file. You have to have the EN kit that works, and some of the ones sold today, you can't heat without changing the color, and the kit I found years ago, could be heated for an hour to make very hard surface. You have to prepare the metal better than bluing, with proper acids, to enhance the chemical reactions to have a bond that lasts for years. I have done 45 1911's, and people refused to believe it was not stainless. I used to use some acids in the past, that you can't hardly get today, as they were so caustic, and dangerous, and rough on the respiratory tract. You will be pleased with the EN on the magazines, or frames if done correctly. The sears and hammers will be smooth as silk, and pristine release if properly prepared. I use EN on all my frames, and leave the slides blue, as I, and acid in skin to not work with bluing. Yes, even the alloys can be done with EN; however, it takes a different preparation, and only quality metal will work. The cheaper parts and frames have some zinc content, and this will not work. I only do my own EN today; however, don't worry about your magazines if properly done. The best adhesive to the EN finish is a light glass beading, and this method is much more economical for the gun company, than the SS metal.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks bullseye4854 for that explanation.I bought one of the new magazines yesterday to try out. It does seem to be smoother everywhere with no noticeable burrs or anything like I have had on the blue ones. So hopefully these new magazines will be a big improvement.Hopefully the feed lips wonít have all the problems either.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:38 PM
1911CCW

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know about the magazines put out by Ruger but I sent my mags off to Robar Industries for their NP3 finish and I can tell you that there is a difference. The NP3 finish is a nickel teflon coating that really makes them feel smoother. Carbon and wax wipe off with a Q-tip. No scrubbing needed. They were $30 per mag to coat so that was a bit expensive but worth it now.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:51 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally I have been surprised that Ruger has not gone to either stainless steel or nickel plating on their magazines some time ago. Having said that, I have never had any problems with the blued steel magazines rusting before.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 PM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few days ago a Ruger customer service who seemed very knowledgeable told me the new magazines also have stronger springs.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:21 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I needed a few more magazines for my Mark III and bought 5 from Midway. They work flawlessly in my gun.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I needed a few more magazines for my Mark III and bought 5 from Midway. They work flawlessly in my gun.
I've found Tombstone Tactical to be the best source for extra magazines, specifically the 2-mags per pack.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are the EN mags more expemsive? Seems like they would be more costly to make, compared to stainless, or blued.

Stainless mag bodies and followers were a plus on my NAA Guardian. Mags are subject to a lot of wear, and blue never holds up over time.