Mark IV Frame thickness? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Garys4598
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Mark IV Frame thickness?

Does anyone have an approximate idea as to how thick the metal is in the standard frame (whether it be steel or aluminum), in the region of the back strap and fore grip/strap area?

Having a notion to sending a Mark IV standard frame off for cerakoting.... I had the crazy idea as to slightly modifying the shape of the frame, in the back and fore strap areas, and the trigger guard (just rounding and smoothing the exterior of the guard a little).

Thought it might be a little more ergonomic to somewhat round-off the back vertical edges of the grip's back strap area. Granted, one couldn't or shouldn't go hog-wild with radiusing those corners.... but rounding them off a little should be okay, no? (Maybe I'm just nuts .)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Stainless Target and the metal at the very bottom of the magazine well, both front and back, is pretty thick, I'd guess about 1/4". Above that it thins out to an estimated 1/8". There seems to be some room for modification but don't go nuts.

I don't know if the aluminum ("blued") frame is the same but it probably is as the grips and magazines are identical.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you 22/45 Fan. Short of anyone else posting an informative reply.... I need to thoroughly disassemble my Mark IV's frame, to include removing the mainspring housing, and take a detailed hard look at the frame's interior. I think there may be a little material available to remove along the grip's corner axis, but I won't know unit I come up with a creative way to measure the walls' thickness.

I wouldn't be remotely considering this, if it weren't for my intent to have the frame sent out for cerakoting.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Over 120 views to this thread, and no one has stepped in to say that this is a really stupid idea, so.... maybe I will or maybe I won't **LOL**. Frankly, I don't know if I have the balls to experiment on the pistol's frame to the extent that I was considering a few days ago.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:55 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Worthwein Guns sells take-off MkIV frames for $290 in aluminum and $360 in stainless so there is bail-out at slightly lower cost than a complete new gun if you manage to damage yours beyond repair.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post
Over 120 views to this thread, and no one has stepped in to say that this is a really stupid idea, so.... maybe I will or maybe I won't **LOL**. Frankly, I don't know if I have the balls to experiment on the pistol's frame to the extent that I was considering a few days ago.
Go for it. If you don't you will always wish you had.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
Worthwein Guns sells take-off MkIV frames... so there is bail-out at slightly lower cost than a complete new gun if you manage to damage yours beyond repair.
Yes, just this past week I was fortunate enough to jump on an email notice I received from Worthwein, and purchased and received an aluminum Mark IV frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68 View Post
Go for it. If you don't you will always wish you had.
So true, to the extent that I would always find myself wondering, "what if I had."

After taking a very hard look at the aluminum frame I just received from Worthwein.... I've decided not to pursue removing material from the grip's back strap vertical corners. IMO there is not enough material thickness there to create any sort of meaningful contour change.

But, now I'm toying with the idea of trying my hand at checkering the back strap area. (I'm truly cursed with the "good idea fairy". Like, the Ruger Mark series of pistols have existed for decades.... who am I to think I could make them better? If the contour of the frame bugs me so much [which it really doesn't], I should look into the Mark IV 22/45 after all. )
Old 05-10-2019, 05:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
But, now I'm toying with the idea of trying my hand at checkering the back strap area. (I'm truly cursed with the "good idea fairy". Like, the Ruger Mark series of pistols have existed for decades.... who am I to think I could make them better? If the contour of the frame bugs me so much [which it really doesn't], I should look into the Mark IV 22/45 after all. )
Biggest thing about a gun is, a gun is a gun, is a gun, is a gun. Other than the materials they are made out of, polymer vs steel, striker vs hammer and sear there haven't been to many changes over the years.

There are personal touches like checkering the back strap and undercutting the trigger guard and adding sights you like best for the type of shooting you do but other than that it is still a basic gun. Good luck with the "good idea fairy" never know you might come up with the next great breakthrough.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:48 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
But, now I'm toying with the idea of trying my hand at checkering the back strap area.
I did the low cost version of this by adding 1/2" wide by 2" long strips of adhesive skateboard tape to the back strap and front strap of my MkIV Target. They provide excellent grip but are removable with no damage to the gun.