Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Vang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Misfeed due to loose magazine

Hello,

I recently picked up my new stainless 8351 rimfire rifle and noticed that it will misfeed because the magazine is too wobbly and loose and disengages on the front part of the block in the receiver. Feeds fine if I make sure that the mag stays up and solid in the magwell. Tried this with different CCI and Federal rounds and with 8 BX1 mags and 2 BX15 mags..they will all misfeed because the mag does not engage the front of the block.

I've already contacted Ruger customer service, but wanted to know if there might be a fix, if its a common issue for these American Rimfires, or I just got a dud?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:35 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, no... The Ruger American Rimfire magazine well is usually tighter on magazines. My Butler Creek mags are too wide, and I had to adjust my design on the single shot loading tray I originally built for a 10/22 because it was catching on the bottom of the barrel... Not much, less than .5mm, but enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 01:28 PM
icegregor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had that issue too. Also 8351. Contacted Ruger via my "ffl" (greetz from germany) - common, known problem. Ruger is sending a new stock...
In my case the magazine "shoulder" collided with the upper edge of the stock/magwell. Grinded the shoulder off (about 2..3 mm! really a lot) ...worked... but hey thats not what i'm paying for..
interesting: some (older) magazines work well... tried several from a friend's 10/22. new genuine ruger mags don't ..

Old 02-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Vang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegregor View Post
Had that issue too. Also 8351. Contacted Ruger via my "ffl" (greetz from germany) - common, known problem. Ruger is sending a new stock...
In my case the magazine "shoulder" collided with the upper edge of the stock/magwell. Grinded the shoulder off (about 2..3 mm! really a lot) ...worked... but hey thats not what i'm paying for..
interesting: some (older) magazines work well... tried several from a friend's 10/22. new genuine ruger mags don't ..
thank you! Ruger is sending me new action action screws, but they said if that didn't work they wanted me to send in the rifle for inspection.. we'll see how it goes.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM
killerv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot my predator for the first time the past week, the mag it came with was very loose and could not feed without pushing it up from the bottom. I tried another magazine I had and it fit way better without any issues.

Y'all are saying this may not be a mag issue?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 AM
icegregor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If these are all genuine ruger mags for that specific rifle .. hell ruger they should all fit! It's all about tolerances, blame it to the mag or the stock, modify /change one of each and it'll work...
In my case I want every (genuine ruger bx1) mag to work. Dont want to buy another 3 mags in 3 years and again they will not fit?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:10 PM
ronnieh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had the same problem. The bolt would actually hit the magazine and stop because there was so much slop in the magwell. Ruger said the rifle couldn't be repaired so they replaced it. Had to go through FFL since it was a new unregistered rifle so I got stuck with a second transfer fee which Ruger wouldn't take care of. Upside is there's no problem with the replacement and it's a shooter!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vang View Post
Hello,

I recently picked up my new stainless 8351 rimfire rifle and noticed that it will misfeed because the magazine is too wobbly and loose and disengages on the front part of the block in the receiver. Feeds fine if I make sure that the mag stays up and solid in the magwell. Tried this with different CCI and Federal rounds and with 8 BX1 mags and 2 BX15 mags..they will all misfeed because the mag does not engage the front of the block.

I've already contacted Ruger customer service, but wanted to know if there might be a fix, if its a common issue for these American Rimfires, or I just got a dud?
I'm amazed at the variation I'm seeing in Ruger Rifles. In developing my single shot loading solutions, I first developed aroun my rifles that took the BX style magazines. The 10/22 was easy to get good lockup in, but the RAR was a lot tighter of a fit. At first I thought it was the stock, but I found later that it was the clearance front to back as well. When I later involved my friends that had 10/22s, I also found variation there that caused feed issues, even though lockup seemed good. Later I purchased a RAR from one of my beta testers because of feed issues he was having, and I found that not only was the front to back clearance even tighter on that rifle, the bolt had a manufacturing defect in it too.

All gun makers make a lemon once in a while, but this really brought to my attention how much impact a small variation can have.

With the rifle that had a bad bolt, I called up Ruger and they took care of it. The process couldn't have been smoother. I'd definitely talk with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2019, 11:39 PM
doctormdds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Stock

My 8351 was doing the same thing. I had misfeeds unless I held the magazine up as there was so much movement of the magazine in the magazine well. I called customer service and a pre paid label was provided. They received the gun one day, serviced it the next and shipped the day after that. A new stock was installed.

Last edited by doctormdds; 04-05-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put some shims from a business card under that front block, and it seems to have helped my feed issues a heckuva lot. You will have to experiment with your rifle to determine how many shims to use, mine took three shims.