Looking to get a standard MkIV - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:06 PM
MIR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking to get a standard MkIV

Those of you who own one what kind of accuracy are you getting, I am looking to get a 4" now and a 6" one later. ---
What kind of ammo does best in the MkIV standard....I have a bunch of CCI mini mag. that seems to work well in most of my .22 pistols......
Old 03-31-2019, 07:46 PM
Dadler
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking to get a standard mk iv

I have three mk I’vs - target, competition, and 2245 lite. All of them are excellent, but if you are going for tight groups the competition is by far the most accurate for me. Surprisingly the 2245 lite comes in second followed by the target. The cci mini mag 36 grain ammo has proven to be the most accurate and reliable. These findings are based on several thousand rounds fired. Hopes this helps for your decision.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:05 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
the 6" standard MKIV

is an excellent choice for an accurate plinker pistol. mine eats all ammo, SV and HV.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:00 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought a Standard, but only to use the frame for a Volquartsen build. That said, as stock, the standard shot about 2" low at 15-20yds. Since I still have it, I filed the sight down to where it hits a point of aim. I don't use it much, but still have it. If that was what I was buying and never changing anything, I'd opt for the target model with adjustable sights.

Now if you could find just the MKIV frame somewhere for a decent price, Volquartsen still has some take off 5.5" bull barrel uppers for $60. Their shipping might jack that figure up to $90 though.

My Standard upper shoots just fine, but again I had to file the sight to get it there. If it was shooting high, I would have been up a creek.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:02 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a MK IV, 22/45 Target and it will drill one hole groups at 25 yards, off a rest, using Mini-Mags 40 grain, with the 36 grain HP, a close second.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have a Standard, and I had to put a red dot sight on it to show what the pistol could do. The red dot showed that the base pistol is very, very accurate. It's the nut behind the trigger that causes those large groups.

Here's the pistol, with Altamont basket weave grips and a rail installed for an AT3 sight.

Here's the first target with iron sights at 15 yards (as you can see, it was shooting about a three inch group low and to the right):

Here are a collection of targets at 15 yards once I installed the AT3 red dot.

Both targets were shot off a Y-style rest at 15 yards. So, what this tells me is that even with my "wobble" out of the equation, the difference between a sub-1 inch group at 15 yards and a 3-inch group is just the aiming system. Well, actually, there is a VQ trigger and sear for the smaller targets as well.

End result? A super accurate pistol at a very reasonable price.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your target is exactly what mine looked like stock, only mine was actually on as far as windage was concerned. I finally filed that sight a little at a time (filing, go shoot 5, file some more, go shoot 5) til I got it on. Helps that I could file it in my garage and shoot it off the back porch, though I guess one could just take a file to the range, though I had the receiver in a vice when I was doing the filing so I could stay straight. I still need to re-blue the top of the sight.

I was skeptical about filing a sight, but in all honesty, there really wasn't much to it. I still recommend the target model over the Standard. But like he said above, with an optic on it, its going to shoot just as good as a target barrel will.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 PM
druryj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I have a MK IV, 22/45 Target and it will drill one hole groups at 25 yards, off a rest, using Mini-Mags 40 grain, with the 36 grain HP, a close second.

Are you using a ransom rest to get those kind of groups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did it off a pistol rest. I can't do it every time, but that's me. With a ransom rest, it could consistently drill one-hole groups.
The group below was one shot away from a one-hole group, but again, that's on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger MK IV, FF3.jpg (253.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Targets like this answer the question easily on whether or not you "NEED" that aftermarket barrel/receiver. In most cases with pistols, the gun is going to be capable of more accuracy than the shooter is able to wring out of it. Which is why I always answer the Volquartsen upper question with "if you want it, get it, but you don't necessarily need it". I have 2, I just wanted them.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the thinking for buying a pistol, particularly a plinking/target/hunting .22lr pistol, with fixed sights. There are no negatives to fully adjustable sights and plenty of benefits. Yes, the Target MkIV costs a bit more than the "Standard" pistols but if cost is the main concern, a 22/45 cost less than the Standard and has adjustable sights.

Yes, I've heard the argument that fixed sights are "more rugged" but that didn't seem to bother the thousands of cops who carried S&W revolvers with adjustable sight on duty and your MkIV isn't going into battle anyway.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
mk 4.75

hi folks,
i have a mk4 standard in 4.75, and it is a fun gun to shoot. we shoot steel at 10 yards, and it is fun. i shoot it more than the other barrels. i have an mk4, with a 4.75, 5.5 bull and 6.0 standard, and like the 4 best. now the extra barrels/uppers do require a transfer, but its cheaper than buying a complete pistol. i do not think you can go wrong with any mk pistol. good luck...dan
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally I will not buy a .22 caliber pistol today without adjustable sights, but I have owned them with fixed sights before and they are simple and durable.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the thinking for buying a pistol, particularly a plinking/target/hunting .22lr pistol, with fixed sights. There are no negatives to fully adjustable sights and plenty of benefits. Yes, the Target MkIV costs a bit more than the "Standard" pistols but if cost is the main concern, a 22/45 cost less than the Standard and has adjustable sights.

Yes, I've heard the argument that fixed sights are "more rugged" but that didn't seem to bother the thousands of cops who carried S&W revolvers with adjustable sight on duty and your MkIV isn't going into battle anyway.
I'm 100% in your camp. I do have a MKIV standard, but the night I ordered it, I ordered the Volquartsen LLV4 upper to go on it. It was the cheapest option at the time to get a donor MKIV frame. I have the upper in a box and have zero use for it. I really don't even want a centerfire without adjustable sights, though I do have a few. Kentucky windage is no good when you have a stable full of guns to try and remember where each hits in relation to point of aim. I want everything I own to hit dead freaking center.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
I'm 100% in your camp. I do have a MKIV standard, but the night I ordered it, I ordered the Volquartsen LLV4 upper to go on it. It was the cheapest option at the time to get a donor MKIV frame.
That's a good point. As the base for a high level upgrade, the Standard is the cheapest way to get the frame.

Also, if you intend add a rail or dedicated mount and a red dot or scope sight so the open sights will almost never be used, the Standard also is the low cost way to get it.