25% Fail to Fire rate using Aguila SV - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Piranha451
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardwiz View Post
So what was the “firearm”?
It is a Taylor's & Co Smoke Wagon revolver.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 2 boxes of Aquila Super Extra and Super Max 22lr for use in my slabside. I had high failure rates with both boxes. They were all failures to fire, some shot on the second strike, most did not. I usually shoot CCI, either M/M or SV, typically they are at 100%, so I don't think it's my gun. Not buying any Aquila products again.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I had the Mark IV Target out again with the Aguila SV after I cleaned it, and this time I only had one failure to fire in 20 rounds. So, better, but not perfect. I had zero failures with the CCI SV and Fed AutoMatch.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Kbobb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
had my mark II target out yesterday - was previously cleaned and lubed. Aguila Super extra failed to extract and failed to feed on multiple occaisions. all rounds did fire when they were able to be chambered. Federal white box bulk ran with 100% feed, fire and extract.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Certain ammo may not feed, but; it should all fire and extract. A weak load might not eject, but it should extract. I have been working on two old revolver that had failures to fire. Two different guns. Both had a best and worse case ammo. The solution was not to limit ammo brands. The fix was new springs. Now all ammo works. Semi auto ejection aside (and feeding aside) blaming the ammo for not firing is wrong thinking. Unless certain bulk lots of crap like thunderturds. A gun may break in and get better or more likely it will get worse. I wish I have the knowledge to say what is more or less likely wrong with the Mk. I encourage the OP to stay at it. The Mk with stock (spec) parts should work. Obvious suspects: both springs, hammer and firing pin. Less likely headspace.

If you work closely with a pistol you will see accuracy improve with better or more consistent ignition. Mk IV target pistols are not exactly plinkers.

Last edited by fourbore; 04-21-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've run through 15000 rds of Aguila SV in the past year and a half through over a half dozen guns. Primer issues have never been an issue in any of them. I will say that it is waxy and sticky, and it doesn't feed up in a pistol mag so great, but its been as good as Blazer as far as firing and ejecting. Its also been very consistent. None of that boom, crack, pop, ploop, pow nonsense that I've seen from Winchester and Remington bulk.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My SV experience has been good too. So there must be some bad lots out there. Or some old ammo shortage cache emerged on the market after years of poor storage.

My Mark 2 , shoots anything I put in it, thunder turds, Golden bullets, even Winchester’s,