Gave old Betsy a good scrubbing this week and removed action/barrel from stock.
When I got the rifle it was originally bedded in what seemed to be a strip of balsa-wood glued down. Pulled a little bit and it just fell off, seems to be dried out, on checking sure enough it’s a piece of balsa-wood or similar cut/fitted and glued down chaps. Luckily for me it’s in one piece so I can always reinstate it.
Anyhow, in the interests of experimentation I replaced it with a strip of Gorilla Tape using the original balsa-wood piece as a template.
End result is the rifle shoots the same, just great, next step is to shoot it with no bedding and then with two strips of Gorilla Tape.
Experimentation is great fun as long as you cause no damage to the rifle parts me thinks.