Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BEDDING

Gave old Betsy a good scrubbing this week and removed action/barrel from stock.

When I got the rifle it was originally bedded in what seemed to be a strip of balsa-wood glued down. Pulled a little bit and it just fell off, seems to be dried out, on checking sure enough itís a piece of balsa-wood or similar cut/fitted and glued down chaps. Luckily for me itís in one piece so I can always reinstate it.

Anyhow, in the interests of experimentation I replaced it with a strip of Gorilla Tape using the original balsa-wood piece as a template.

End result is the rifle shoots the same, just great, next step is to shoot it with no bedding and then with two strips of Gorilla Tape.

Experimentation is great fun as long as you cause no damage to the rifle parts me thinks.

Giz.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Giz,

I was digging through a pile of old NSRA magazines, and found a tale of balsa bedding. It was in the obituary of Ernie Spiriti, the public face of Eley for thirty years, and no mean prone shooter. The article told the tale of Ernie making ermegency repairs to a friends rifle during the Olympic trials; after a disappointing first match, Ernie rebeddibg the rifle on balsa wood, and fitting headspace shims.

If it's any use, I have a layer of automotive gasket paper between my bedding adaptor and alu stock.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info Tim.

I saw those Anschutz bedding gaskets on line and was wondering what they were for - now I know.

Giz