Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Took my Mk IV apart, and inspected the FP under magnification. I could see no evidence of any stress fractures beginning. I'm wondering if those with the problems might have had a small defect, such as a scratch or a burr, which propagated into the fracture.

My Mk IV is clean again, and ready for tomorrow's range trip.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Brent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Took my Mk IV apart, and inspected the FP under magnification. I could see no evidence of any stress fractures beginning. I'm wondering if those with the problems might have had a small defect, such as a scratch or a burr, which propagated into the fracture.

My Mk IV is clean again, and ready for tomorrow's range trip.
I need an extra hole in the firing pin like I need another hole in my head.

Brent
Old 09-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I need an extra hole in the firing pin like I need another hole in my head.

Brent
Probably need a wood bit for a 1/2" drill. Something AZ woulda said.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned three earlier versions of te MK pistols and as I recall Ruger recommended the pistol be stored de-cocked. The only way to do that was to set the safety to fire and pull the trigger on an empty chamber. There was a rather robust steel rod through the firing pin that stopped forward movement of the firing pin...that pin obviously had to be properly installed.

Sometimes you wonder how these things occur.....how long have MK pistols been produced? 1917
Old 09-23-2017, 01:58 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
I call Bovine Scatology. I've got many thousands of rounds through my Mk IV and I challenge you to get it to rattle in the slightest bit.

I too am sorry you had a bad experience. Ruger's customer service is outstanding, as exemplified by their handling of your problem.

I'm going to take my MkIV to work, at the LGS, and clean it. While apart, I'll inspect the firing pin for any evidence of wear.
Thanks, I will try to post pics of the firing pin when I get the mk. I have a VQ replacement waiting in the wings.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:38 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
can't stop the new pin

The breakages of "new" firing pins resulted in breech damage because the stop pin is to the rear of where the firing pin breaks. These had the stop pins installed properly but the forward portion of the firing pin was not restrained because the pin broke. Now that this is a known issue Ruger should advise current users that their breech is going to be damaged. They have the database of who has the new pins in Mk.4's and who has purchased them for their Mk.3 (like me) and had them fail. Could save them from a costly class action suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I've owned three earlier versions of te MK pistols and as I recall Ruger recommended the pistol be stored de-cocked. The only way to do that was to set the safety to fire and pull the trigger on an empty chamber. There was a rather robust steel rod through the firing pin that stopped forward movement of the firing pin...that pin obviously had to be properly installed.

Sometimes you wonder how these things occur.....how long have MK pistols been produced? 1917

Last edited by stewswanson; 09-23-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Probably need a wood bit for a 1/2" drill. Something AZ woulda said.
Ok, you shall henceforth be called "AlZ the Infidel".

......and a wood bit is too soft.

Brent
Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Ok, you shall henceforth be called "AlZ the Infidel".

......and a wood bit is too soft.

Brent
Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Received the new mkiv target from Ruger today. It took a little less than three weeks. I immediately checked the firing pin. It is still the new style with the extra hole. I replaced it with a Volquartsen Surestrike pin and fired 100 rounds of Mini mags, experiencing only one failure to eject. I then ran about 30 rounds of CCI standard velocity with no problems. The filler screws and the rear sight elevation screw are hex head screws. This has been an awesome customer service experience.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkhead1 View Post
Received the new mkiv target from Ruger today. It took a little less than three weeks. I immediately checked the firing pin. It is still the new style with the extra hole. I replaced it with a Volquartsen Surestrike pin and fired 100 rounds of Mini mags, experiencing only one failure to eject. I then ran about 30 rounds of CCI standard velocity with no problems. The filler screws and the rear sight elevation screw are hex head screws. This has been an awesome customer service experience.
That is great to hear! One would have to wonder why they chose to put the same style firing pin back in. Maybe they know something that we don't. Bad batch of pins possibly? We may never know.

Brent
Old 09-26-2017, 07:51 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You probably right, we may never know. I went ahead and changed to the VQ firing pin just in case.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkhead1 View Post
You probably right, we may never know. I went ahead and changed to the VQ firing pin just in case.
As would I.

Brent
Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I bought a new (older style) OEM Ruger firing pin using the eBay link provided earlier. After watching the YouTube video by TandemKross, the process took about three minutes. The replacement pin of course does not have the additional hole. It also does not have a beveled edge on top like the MKIV pin, but it seemed to fit just fine. This is a very easy fix for $8 and I like the fact that everything in my pistol is Ruger -- don't know why that matters to me. I would wager that the steel Ruger pin works just as well as the titanium pins.

Last edited by Air-cooled; 09-27-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow & thanks to RF

Based on OP's and other's findings and comments, I went ahead and ordered a replacement VQ firing pin; received it and replaced the original today. Upon inspection the original is cracked at the lightening hole/stress riser. My Mk4 has had only around 1000-to-1200 stnd.vel.rounds through it.

I would strongly advise anyone that hasn't replaced their original Mk4 FP to stop shooting it and to replace it with one that doesn't have the "new & improved" lightening hole in it.

Thanks to all in helping me to avoid the impending breach damage and pistol replacement hassle. -S2

PS: I have photos, but haven't yet figured out how to down load them since PB's demise.
And to Ruger: Finite element analysis is your friend; next time, use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170927_164657.jpg (427.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20170927_164726.jpg (416.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Speedo2; 09-28-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, good preventative medicine. It's so easy to do. Mine was not cracked yet.