Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Danie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1st Anshutz ( 64 MPR ) help ???

Hi Guys , 1st of all thanks for a great forum as a beginner i have learnt so much from this Forum ! Im looking to buy a good allround .22 LR rifle ? I want to do some informal shooting with friends and maybe a little bench rest competition as I enjoy shooting and think that I will really like this type of competition , as far as hunting goes im not worried about weight as I will not really walk with the rifle it will be from a vehicle or from a Quad ! Im from South Africa and the Higer end .22's are very scarce here ! My 1st choice were the Annie 1710 ( $2500 ) and then i was also looking at the Sako Quad Varmint ( $1500 ) and also at a Annie MPR 64 ( $1700 )
The 1710 is just too far out of my budget i would have considered a second hand one but can't find any in South Africa that's available my budget was round about $ 1500 so i thought maybe the Sako Quad Varmint or the Annie 64 MPR ? I managed to find a really nice second hand Annie 64 MPR for $1200 ? What would you guys say about this rifle ? Pros & Cons ? Will this rifle hold it's value good like the 1710 ! Im new in the game so any assistance would be much appreciated ? Also what would be a nice scope and recticle for bench rest shooting ? I will post Pictures on the rifle ( scope not included ?

Last edited by Danie; 08-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:58 PM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
Looks like a beautiful rifle. Your dollars are "different" than ours, and of course you are in a different market, but over here, the MPR keeps its value very well. Scope? I'd go exactly as the pictures show, along with the rings. Hard to go wrong with Leupold. I would go for the EFR, but that is just me.

Last edited by OldSwede; 08-07-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling. Typo.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very nice, Danie. I think you did well with this rifle. I don't have much of a sense of how sporting rifles hold their value over time, but this one should do as well as any high-quality rimfire.

(Actually, the rate at which firearms in general hold their value is pretty depressing, although a lot better than cars! If cared for and kept in good condition, a rifle might fetch, in a number of years, close to what you paid for it, but its value will probably not match inflation. We shouldn't let this discourage us, however; we don't--or shouldn't--buy them as an investment.)

That rifle should be very accurate. It has the same barrel as Anschutz puts on their 54-action models (like the 1710), and being of heavy contour should produce topnotch results off the bench. In addition, the wide and well-shaped forend will ride the front bag very well, again adding to the accuracy potential of the gun. Finally, the 5098 trigger is very good and can be adjusted down to 6 oz. Frankly, I doubt that this rifle will give up anything to the heavy-barrel 1710 in accuracy, and, given its very bag-friendly forend, might do even better from the bench.

As for a scope, it all depends on how you plan to use the rifle. If benchrest shooting is the main use, then a scope like the Leupold 6.5-20X40mm. (with either adjustable objective or side-focus to allow you to focus down to at least 50 yds.) would be close to ideal. Being a variable, that scope would allow some field use too for small-game hunting. Another good choice would be the Leupold VX-2, 6-18X40mm. (which adjusts for focus and parallax down to 50 yds.). With luck, perhaps you can pick up one of these on the used market.

Last edited by South_Pender; 08-07-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 04:28 PM
HondaVTEC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a new MPR a year ago and it's lived up to my expectations as far as build quality and accuracy goes . With quality ammo like Center X , it will group as well as I'm capable of shooting it . I am the limiting factor , not the rifle . Mine is set up as a tactical trainer and I have zero bad to say about it . For those that snub their nose at it because it's "only" a 64 action , be careful , these rifles shoot !! Far better than some give it credit for until they find out the hard way . Like the guy a month ago at the range shooting his mouth off how incredible his Winchester 52 was and that there was no equal . Let's just say that he left not as happy as when he arrived . I warned him

Last edited by HondaVTEC; 08-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:24 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
The MPR will out shoot anything in its price range in my experience. In use that rest would be turned 180 degrees and positioned much closer to the magazine. It will be more stable and the base screw can be used for fine elevation adjustment.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:29 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
The MPR will out shoot anything in its price range in my experience. In use that rest would be turned 180 degrees and positioned much closer to the magazine. It will be more stable and the base screw can be used for fine elevation adjustment.
That's an interesting observation. True about rotating the front rest 180, but I have wondered in the past about the optimal positioning of it relative to the forend. If the barrel is free-floating, what is the effect of moving the front bag from near the forend tip to a position just ahead of the magazine? (I've posed this question on another forum in the past, re centerfire benchrest, with no clear consensus.) With my Bald Eagle rest top, the forend stop (that you butt the forend tip against) puts the bag just a little back (maybe 2-3") from the forend tip. If you put the bag back near the magazine, you're coming close to the balance point, and that might be ill-advised; I don't know. I'd be interested in hearing from RFC members about any testing that has been done on bag placement. The one thing that seems clear, I guess, is that the placement should be identical from shot to shot within a group; that's the purpose of the forend stop that most front rest tops have.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 PM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
Quote:
I agree, they shoot great at least the 3 I used did, one was an older one with the old style action, it was a tiny bit more accurate than the two newer ones I fired.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
I have extended the stop on my rest because sporter weight rifles shoot much better with a more forward position, in my experience and those at my old club the MPR performs better as well. With heavier rifles the position needs to be further forward as you say to achieve better balance. Others may have different results depending on how much contact they have with their rifles, to me I still want a little contact with mid weight rifles. Light cheek weld and right hand on the gun.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I have extended the stop on my rest because sporter weight rifles shoot much better with a more forward position, in my experience and those at my old club the MPR performs better as well. With heavier rifles the position needs to be further forward as you say to achieve better balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Pender View Post
I have wondered in the past about the optimal positioning of it relative to the forend.
I'd be interested in hearing from RFC members about any testing that has been done on bag placement. .
I also use WKD's extended stop idea with good effect. Not so apparent with the likes of 1710's but skinny, light rifles like my 1416 and 57M classic build shoot far more consistently with the front bag way back near the magazine housing.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 AM
kevin1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What should be the accuracy expectation for a 64 MPR or a 1710/1712?
I'm thinking in the low 0.3s at 50Y with decent ammo. Right?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:33 PM
HondaVTEC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Low .300's at 50 yards with good ammo easily . For reference , here are four , 5 shot groups shot back to back starting with a cold clean barrel . No foulers or sighters . All were shot off a bipod in no wind conditions using "regular" ammo . Nothing fancy . This was shot a few weeks ago on my last time at the range .

Last edited by HondaVTEC; 08-08-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaVTEC View Post
I bought a new MPR a year ago and it's lived up to my expectations as far as build quality and accuracy goes . With quality ammo like Center X , it will group as well as I'm capable of shooting it . I am the limiting factor , not the rifle . Mine is set up as a tactical trainer and I have zero bad to say about it . For those that snub their nose at it because it's "only" a 64 action , be careful , these rifles shoot !! Far better than some give it credit for until they find out the hard way . Like the guy a month ago at the range shooting his mouth off how incredible his Winchester 52 was and that there was no equal . Let's just say that he left not as happy as when he arrived . I warned him
Thats a fine looking rifle and set up HondaVTEC I seen a fellow at our range last year shooting a factory CMP 40x get his feelings hurt to !

Last edited by cznut; 08-08-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 PM
HondaVTEC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks man . I really like the MPR . It shoots very well and puts the focus on better shooting performance on the shooter , not on improving the rifle . Is it the best ? Hardly . But , for what I do with it , it works really good .
Old 08-08-2017, 10:27 PM
mgmer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Awesome groups & beautiful rifle HondaVTEC! Thanks for the pics.
Monroe
Old 08-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Danie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys , im the proud new owner of a 64 MPR ! Thanks for all the advice !!! Which ammo would you prefer ?