Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:17 PM
FNG62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First shotgun

Yes another FNG question.

This one is about my first shotgun. I've decided that a shotgun is next up. Next summer I'd like to do a couple of 3 Gun events. So I need my third gun. I've narrowed it down to two. A Mossberg JM Pro 22" or a Benelli supernova 18" with GHS. I know that it's two opposite type of guns. I'm leaning towards the Supernova. Most things I've read say to start with a pump. That said it looks like most people use a semi-auto for 3 gun. Like this decision should be an easy one?

Also will not be using the gun for hunting ever, But maybe skeet down the road.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 PM
drift

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, I would go with a semi.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd get the semi if you plan to use it for skeet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Agree on the semi vs pump. Don't know much about either model, but why such short barrels? 26 inch would make more sense. Short barrels tend to make you jerk when following the bird vs swinging.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 PM
dons
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
There are a lot of sites on the internet that address 3-gun. Here's one example: http://forums.brianenos.com/index.ph...gun-technical/
Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG62 View Post
Next summer I'd like to do a couple of 3 Gun events. ... Most things I've read say to start with a pump. That said it looks like most people use a semi-auto for 3 gun.

Also will not be using the gun for hunting ever, But maybe skeet down the road.

Any thoughts?
A great many people recommend starting with a pump-action shotgun because they are repeaters with a magazine that can hold as many as seven rounds (extended tube...or even more if you get a ridiculously long tube extension) but are simpler to maintain than a semi-auto and generally more affordable.

I think part of the rationale is that if you get into it and don't like it you aren't too heavily invested. Pumps are generally pretty affordable and you will never have trouble turning one around if you decide to sell it.

In your shoes, I would go with what I think is your gut feel. You're buying this gun for a specific sport -- 3 gun -- and you've observed that most shooters are using a semi..... so why should you get a pump?

You also say that you might take up skeet shooting down the road a bit. That's a sport that involves doubles -- two targets thrown simultaneously. You can do it with a pump-action gun once you learn the technique but most serious skeet shooters are using semi-autos or double barreled guns. So why should you get a pump?

I have .... ahem..... a number of shotguns. Some are semi-autos. Some are double barreled break-action guns. I have one single barreled break-action gun and one... count them, only one, pump-action gun. Of the lot of them, the ones that get the most use are the semi-autos and the double-barrels but that's because I am a clay target shooter (skeet, five-stand, sporting clays, and trap) and a bird hunter (dove and quail). However, I have to say that most versatile of the whole battery is the Rem 870 pump-action gun.

Swapping barrels on the Rem 870 is as easy as cake, a piece of pie. In about two minutes I can go from a 26" barrel gun suitable for clay target shooting or bird hunting to an 18.5" barrel for home defense or tucked away in the back of the Jeep for Justin Case. It's practically maintenance free.... a little dab of grease here and there, swab out the barrel now and then, and that's it.

In an attempt to summarize, the pump is versatile tool that is adequate for about everything. It's affordable. It's easy to maintain. It's trouble free. It's a great "all rounder." But.... you knew there was a but coming... if I was going to buy a gun for a specific sport I would get a gun best suited to that sport. And that's how a gal ends up with ... ahem... a number of shotguns.