Ruger Mark IV I am always one feature short - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:49 AM
ThunderStick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

For anyone who wants a silencer, is allowed by law, and can afford to purchase one, I say this. Will you be a year older in a year? Get the ball rolling, time is going to pass anyway. I went through the process more than once and it seems like such a long long time ago now. Like the commercial says, "just do it"!

If you don't want one, or are prohibited, that's ok. But to claim there ineffective? ? O, I've got an electric chainsaw and is pretty darn quiet!

How many years had Ruger built the MKIIISS? They have never threaded one to my knowledge and I do understand there are MANY more buyers who don't want threads than do. I'll line up to buy one only if they offer a threaded model.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:59 AM
ChattanoogaPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For those at the end stages of a terminal disease or planning to commit suicide in the next few months it's understandable the wait time for a tax stamp being a deal breaker. For those planning on being above dirt for some time to come the time will pass anyway.

As far as the paperwork being too complex... ladies and gentlemen, don't sell yourself short. If your mental acuity is sufficient to have avoided being a prohibited person and you've been able to successfully complete a 4473 when buying your Ruger, you'll do fine buying a can. Really, it's quite simple.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:53 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
For those at the end stages of a terminal disease or planning to commit suicide in the next few months it's understandable the wait time for a tax stamp being a deal breaker. For those planning on being above dirt for some time to come the time will pass anyway.

As far as the paperwork being too complex... ladies and gentlemen, don't sell yourself short. If your mental acuity is sufficient to have avoided being a prohibited person and you've been able to successfully complete a 4473 when buying your Ruger, you'll do fine buying a can. Really, it's quite simple.
Oh boy! You had to mention that. In some countries, using a suppressor is consider to be the POLITE thing to do, so neighbors are not disturbed. Suppressors are sold over the counter. Here in the USA, we need to contend with paperwork, and here on RFC we need to contend with some who cry a lot over situations that have been inflicted by the LAW. Vote differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 11:17 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Let's see what hickok45 thinks about a suppressor. ;)

Brent
WOW! Yah, his comment at 3:01 concerning, "unless you're a professional hit-man for the mob, these are just a toy". That should boost sales, and maybe get some undue attention from some anti-gun legislator.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 AM
vic479h
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The mob is a myth.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:40 AM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to have to disagree with ole hicock45 on that statement! I use mine for hunting and when you shoot it doesn't disrupt everything in the woods! A SSHP through my rifle is the only thing I have ever seen that I can clean miss a gray squirrel with and he will politely wait for a follow up shot! Silencers are so ineffective that you can shoot over one on the ground and they will run away from the bullet impact and twards the shooter!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:38 AM
jaird
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
^^^^^^^
Old 10-02-2016, 07:42 AM
MGP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I don't see the cost and maintenance being worth it, for a comparatively small reduction in sound. A .22 is not that loud!
Come again ??
I agree a 22 is not that loud but a small reduction in sound is a LARGE understatement !!!!!!

http://vid1228.photobucket.com/album...psom3j33je.mp4

http://vid1228.photobucket.com/album...psijfolaif.mp4

It's a nice day when you shoot 500 rounds and not only do the neighbors not complain they
Don't even know you were shooting.
ETA: That's a form 1 Suppressor also it doesn't cost a lot to build one

Last edited by MGP; 10-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Snowwolfe
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If I wanted to shoot a long barreled handgun I would buy one. I see no use for owning a silencer. Maybe I would try one if they cost about $50. But to spend the type of money people do to own one is nuts IMO.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:22 AM
advtroy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suppressors are the newest fad in tacticool in my opinion . Really no purpose other than to say you have one and most of the guys I hear talking about theirs refer to them as silencers ....silencers only exist in the movies. The supressor/silencer confusion is getting to be as annoying as the knuckleheads that don't know the difference between a magazine and a clip

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 10:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
WOW! Yah, his comment at 3:01 concerning, "unless you're a professional hit-man for the mob, these are just a toy". That should boost sales, and maybe get some undue attention from some anti-gun legislator.
I guess I've heard enough of his videos that I took it differently. He does joke around and keep things light/humorous. Not uptight like many gun videos. Hit man for the mob was just such an example of his humor, so I didn't read more than that into it. Given the type of shooting he does, I can see the "toy" comment as well. He shoots a lot on his own range and a suppressor is not necessary for him, thus a toy or something that is fun to shoot, but again not necessary. People send him stuff all the time to review. I'm sure there's some pressure to give good reviews and at the same time to just give your honest opinion. I think he did the later in this case. Different strokes for different folks. I'm all for someone getting a suppressor if they want one. I think it would be a neat thing to have, but in my case simply a uhhhhhhh......... "toy" for lack of a better term. Still a very neat toy though!!!

Brent
Old 10-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Donut77donut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtroy View Post
Suppressors are the newest fad in tacticool in my opinion . Really no purpose other than to say you have one and most of the guys I hear talking about theirs refer to them as silencers ....silencers only exist in the movies. The supressor/silencer confusion is getting to be as annoying as the knuckleheads that don't know the difference between a magazine and a clip

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My ATF paperwork says "silencer."
Your opinion is worth what we paid for it.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:56 AM
ChattanoogaPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NFA, 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53
THE NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT
TITLE 26, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 53 INTERNAL REVENUE COD

Subpart B-Definitions
479.11 Meaning of terms.

Page 109

Muffler or silencer. Any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...endix/download

And by the way... Hiram Percy Maxim, the inventor the silencer called it Maxim silencer. I suppose Henry was just being "Tacticool" back in 1908?

https://www.google.com/patents/US916885
Old 10-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Donut77donut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The fewer people in line for form 4's, the faster I will get mine...

NFA items suck. Don't get any!

And Oregon sucks too, don't move here.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Snowwolfe
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut77donut View Post
The fewer people in line for form 4's, the faster I will get mine...

NFA items suck. Don't get any!

And Oregon sucks too, don't move here.
No worries, I have zero plans to do either.
Closed Thread