Old 03-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Bob4BVM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
I stumbled upon this thread. It always gets bumped off the "New Posts" in about a half day.

Why not post the question on the Anschutz, CZ and 10/22 forum which will get it about a billion more views?

The Anschutz forum currently has zero contests, unlike the CZ amd 10/22 forums.
Could be fertile new ground for the current 25yd program as well as a 50yd.

Smooth
Thanks Smooth, I am leaning toward adding a 50 YD based on the limited input I've seen so far, just wish more of our 25YD regulars would chime in...

To be clear, the reason this is posted here is not in this case to bring in new shooters, but to gauge how the existing Offhanders feel about adding a 50Yd section. As stated, I will avoid anything that would have a net negative impact on our existing match.

I don't see any actual matches in the 10-22 or CZ sections, it was my understanding that the Online Matches Forum is where everyone came for online matches

BTW, I have many times posted invitations in the CZ and other gun-specific forums, inviting them to join in the Offhand action here. Very sparse response, ...seems benchrest is the overwhelming most popular discipline here at RFC. In comparison, offhanders seem to be a rare breed.
Years ago before I started this match, I used to post my O/H practice targets and I got a lot of laughs, and comments about my 'groups' being more like shotgun patterns...
At the time there were no O/H matches running at RFC. A few people like Hammer, Cowboy, and others suggested maybe I should put together a O/H match and see what happens. I am indebted to them for their encouragement.

NOTE---the 2 links added above are NOT mine, were "automatically added by Vigilink, whoever THAT is !

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 03-20-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So here's what I don't get

There is almost* zero difference in shooting at 25yds or 50yds off-hand with a .22lr.
If you use the same target, of course the scores will be lower, but so what. We're all going to be on the same playing field.
If a particular shooter doesn't want to play at 50yds, that's fine.

As I've stated, I and many others don't have a 25yd option.
Therefore this will open up this monthly match to more shooters.
Matches like this drive improvement and let you gage your results amongst fellow shooters in a fun non compettive format.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Again, I would like to remind everyone that the A23/5 is a 50yd target.

* At 50yds the wind and the quality of the ammo will have a somewhat larger influence on the scores than when shot at 25yds. To that I say, Whatever.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 03-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
So here's what I don't get

There is almost* zero difference in shooting at 25yds or 50yds off-hand with a .22lr.
If you use the same target, of course the scores will be higher, but so what. We're all going to be on the same playing field.
If a particular shooter doesn't want to play at 50yds, that's fine.

As I've stated, I and many others don't have a 25yd option.
Therefore this will open up this monthly match to more shooters.
Matches like this drive improvement and let you gage your results amongst fellow shooters in a fun non compettive format.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Again, I would like to remind everyone that the A23/5 is a 50yd target.

* At 50yds the wind and the quality of the ammo will have a somewhat larger influence on the scores than when shot at 25yds. To that I say, Whatever.

Smooth
Not complicated. I think it will be a win-win too.

But I have a responsibility to listen to input from the regulars who have been shooting this match for the past 3 1/2 years.
This is their match as much as mine, they made it a success by their loyal participation.
I will go with their majority opinion.

Keep in mind that for those of us who struggle sometimes to keep our shots in the black, there is a HUGE difference between 25 & 50 Yds. One of the reasons for the success of this match is that the goalposts are not set so high as to discourage less-accomplished shooters; keeping a majority of your shots in the black goes a long way toward seeing many young, old, and beginning shooters return here at least from time to time.

Yes, the A23/A9 bull is a 50Yd target. So does 25 Yds on the NRA 50 yd target make it too easy ?
In the 634 match entries we have had to date, there has been exactly one 500 score.

Your vote has been counted. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 03-21-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Offhanders please comment !!!

If you have not yet chimed in on this 50 Yd discussion, please do so either here or in the main match thread.
Or you may PM me if you prefer.
Again the question is "do we add an optional 50 yd match to the monthly 25 yd match ?"
Thank you,
Bob4BVM

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 03-21-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
i most likely would not participate in a 50 yd offhand match . I enjoy the 25 yarder and split time with it and my other hobbies , such as fishing , my first love .
Until I shoot a 500 at 25 yards , I need to dedicate all my shooting time and efforts at that game .
BTW , I've tried offhand at 50 and 100 yards , and unless I'm shooting at empty shotgun hulls , plastic bottles , pieces of clay targets and the occasional golf ball someone leaves at the range , I'll stick with 25 when shooting for score . Kirby
Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Once I get a "simple, low-cost" rifle shooting the way I like for Silhouette from my "new" rollator seat ... Yep, fellows - it's now come to that for me in Offhand ... then I'l no doubt give the 50 yard event a good try.

I shot the Chattanooga Silo match on Sunday from the rollator with varying success ... low scores on Pigs, Turkeys and Rams but a 7 on Chickens. My main problem was that I'd only gotten a rough Turkey scope zero beforehand, and was "aiming off" for all other ranges ... finally got it right on the little dickey birds !

Rifle was my 455 action with new Featherlight trigger installed, all mounted in an original bedded American stock with the original American barrel. Trigger set at 1lb 8oz +/- 1oz and minimal first stage travel.

Fuzzy
Old 03-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50-Yd Option ADDED--See Rules Please !!!

50-Yd Addition
All 50Yd match rules are the same as for 25Yd. Use same A23/A9 Targets. Only # Shots changes from 50 to 25.

There has been interest, so we are adding a 50 yard offhand, starting March 2016. I will maintain a score history for every shooter in the 50 beginning with this date, and of course the ongoing history for 25-Yd shooters which goes back to Oct.2012 will be continued on it's own score chart.

For many of us, myself included, offhand at 50 yards is a daunting challenge. I encourage you to shoot the 25-Yd match if you are just starting out with Offhand.

*** To post your 25 or 50 Yd entry(s), go to the main Match subforum-titled "25 Yard Offhand 500/50X Match – Any Gun, Any Ammo", then just click the "Post Reply" button and type or paste in your entry form***

To keep the community together, all entries and general discussion, whether 25 or 50 yard, will be in that main thread.

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 03-23-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:24 PM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Posted up my score.

Thanks for adding this to your match thread.

I appreciate it.

Smooth
Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50yd entries ?

?
Well for all the excitement about 50 Yards, so far I see only one entry.
March 31 is this Thursday...
As a reminder, ALL match entries need to be posted in the "25 Yard Offhand 500/50X Match – Any Gun, Any Ammo", thread.
Thanks,
Bob

*** To post your 25 or 50 Yd entry(s), go to the main Match subforum-titled "25 Yard Offhand 500/50X Match – Any Gun, Any Ammo", then just click the "Post Reply" button and type or paste in your entry form***

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 03-29-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:41 PM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 50 yard targets are proportionally larger, right?

So why is shooting 50 yards harder?

If you give me the choice of shooting a ping pong ball at 25 yards or a basketball at 100 yards, I'll take the longer shot, although they'll probably look like about the same sight picture either way.

Personally, I get more satisfaction out of shooting targets at longer distances.
Even if it's a longer walk to set up the targets and pull 'em down later.

Walking 50 or 100 yards lets me know that I've accomplished something with my gun that I could not do with a rock, thrown by hand or launched from a slingshot-- hitting a target that far out.

P.S. Although shooting from the unsupported standing position puts more of the focus on the shooter and not his or her gear, I think that having a good trigger pull is important. I used to shoot the offhand matches at a local gun club, and soon thereafter I had a gunsmith work over the trigger on my 10/22, taking the pull down from about 6 lbs. to 2 lbs, and making it crisp. That improved my scores a lot. More so from the standing position than from the bench, I think.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its the same A23 target we shoot at 25 yards.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 AM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The targets are bigger at 50 yards.
If you can shoot round bulleyes, you should be able to shoot a similar score with any appropriate bullseye target from 50 feet to 500 yards, assuming your rifle and ammo are capable.

At 50 yards, you really don't have to worry about wind, and a few clicks of elevation will compensate for bullet drop, so it should feel about the same as 25 yards.

I can't participate. My outdoor shooting range has a muddy ditch / swamp 50 yards from the backstop. I can shoot from close range, 10 feet to 25 yards, but then if I move back, I have to move back to at least 75 yards to be on dry level ground again.

P.S. From my recent retesting myself at 25 yards, unsupported standing position (offhand), I've gotten a lot worse at this than I was 10 years ago. I used to place pretty well in rifle matches shooting from the standing position, no sling. Now my groups are twice as big as what I used to be able to do. I need more practice. I'm doing 4" groups at 25 yards (10 shot groups). Not good enough.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmokeer View Post
The targets are bigger at 50 yards.
The target is the same as 25 yards.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 AM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Your observations about your offhand experience has a familiar ring to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmokeer View Post
The targets are bigger at 50 yards....
See Bob's post (#37) above. Second line.
Closed Thread