Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:27 PM
azbud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning Reminton 11-87 Premier Action Spring

I have an 11-87 Premier that I bought new in 1989. It's taken many dove, quail, and the occasional rabbit. I hadn't hunted with it since the mid 90s due to illness but did continue to shoot clay pigeons into the early 2000s. I decided to give it a thorough cleaning including the action spring. Having never cleaned it, I was surprised at the gunk that had built up on the spring but there was no rust on it or in the tube. The only issue was removing the slotted nut but I ordered the drag link socket from Brownells. I had it off in a matter of seconds compared to trying to remove it with a long shank screwdriver with pliers on the end. I ordered a new spring but decided not to install it yet as the old one still maintained the same length as the new one. I've shot different loads of buckshot out of it as well as light target loads with excellent reliability. The only purpose of this post is just to suggest that it might be a good idea to check the action springs on your old Remington 11-87s as they do seem to become fairly dirty.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Thanks for that.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:01 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
One other thing that should be cleaned at every cleaning, is the ports. You may only have one, but some have two. This will affect the cycling of the action. These ports, and most do not know about them, are located in the barrel lug, and they go through to the inside of the barrel. They get plugged. Just push a small stiff wire through them and all is good. Just look up inside the lug, which is the round part attached to the barrel, and slides down over the mag tube. Look in from the underneath side, and you will see either one or two holes that go through to the inside of the barrel. Just an FYI because I know many that never knew those were there and never clean them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 01:24 PM
azbud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're welcome Sophia.

Gizzy, that's good advice for those that don't know about them. I've found that pipe cleaners work well on the ports.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:50 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I've found that a short length of copper wire like used in Romex make great port cleaners. I keep 14, 12 & 10 ga. pieces in my cleaning 'kit' just for that purpose since gas port hole sizes vary predicated on make, model and barrel chambering on gas operated semi-autos. You run no risk of damage to the port or making a scratch which would aggravate carbon fouling buildup like might be possible using a drill bit or steel wire.

I do use a type of industrial small diameter 'pipe' cleaners w/solvent for the bbl.'s gas ports afterwards and for the 'ports' near the muzzle on the coupla guns I have with that dubious feature and they do a very satisfactory job of cleaning them w/o damage.

edit: on recoil springs for 1100's when measured laying flat on the table.. when they get to be one inch shorter than a new one they should be replaced 100% of the time. Don't try to stretch it and put it back in, throw it away; it has already taken a 'set' and won't last but a box or two before going back to its shorter length. 1187 springs are the same as in an 1100 IIRC; 15 to 15 & 1/4" long when new. Replace at 14" or every 5~10K rounds & leave the action closed when storing after you have determined it is empty once more & then engage the safety, just because.

Last edited by wookness; 12-11-2016 at 01:08 AM.