Offhand Technique Reference Material - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Patriotpappy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

For comparative/reference purposes here are the National record holders for 20 shots standing outdoor 50 meter any sights smallbore rifle from the NRA website. The 10 ring is .787 inches. The highest score ever recorded in competition is a 193

OUTDOOR METRIC POSITION (A-50/51 TGT) [18]
Any Sights
20 SHOTS STANDING - 50 METERS/YDS
Category Record Holder Score X/10 +Score +X/10 Time Date
Open L HOPPER
PHENIX CITY, AL 193 3/11/1994
Civilian A ROLAND
LAKE OSWEGO, OR 192 6/5/2005
Service L HOPPER
PHENIX CITY, AL 193 3/11/1994
Women S BLAKESLEE
VANCOUVER, WA 188 8/13/2000
Junior A ROLAND
LAKE OSWEGO, OR 192 6/5/2005
Intermediate Junior T FREEZE
DAVENPORT, WA 191 6/1/2003
Sub-Junior AUSTIN COCK
SILVERTON, OR 179 6/7/2009
Senior HOWARD Q MOODY
BRISTOW, VA 176 6/1/2003
Reserve R TABOR
EATON, NY 182 3/10/1989
In order for national records to be recognized promptly, national record reporting forms must be submitted to NRA by the statistical officer of the registered tournament in which they were fired after being certified by the jury chairman or referee.

NRA National Record Reporting Form
National Record Checklist

Copyright 2012 The National Rifle Association of America
About Us | Privacy Policy | Careers at the NRA | Contact Us
Old 02-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Bob4BVM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working At It View Post
Being new to off-hand, is it safe to assume that these shooters are indoors with the full compliment of shooting gear (jacket, gloves, shoes, stock hook, etc.)? Do the top shooters in this (RFC) match also use all/most of that equipment? I'm pretty much shooting last in this group, as I would expect for a newbie, but how much am I giving up shooting outdoors in street clothes?
When I started this match, I had 2 main goals-
1-provide a challenging alternative to BR, which would focus more on the shooter and less on expensive equipment and hi-end ammo.
2- have a very short and simple set of rules with very few restrictions---a match where anyone could compete with whatever gun they had using whatever ammo they had.

Anything not expressly prohibited in the rules is allowed here.
You won't find any equipment restrictions beyond "rimfire" & 'scope' or 'irons'.
As long as you are standing on your hind legs and supporting the rifle yourself, (medical exceptions as noted) , feel free to equip yourself any way you like.
That said, I think most folks here shoot in casual clothes.
Please don't worry about what your individual scores are, this match is all about self-improvement !!! What you are after is to shoot a better score each month !!!

Sure there is a bit of friendly competition going on too, if you like that, then pick a few guys near your scoring level and get a little rivalry going, but please don't feel like you have to be at the top of the pack to be a winner.
Anyone who stays at this game is a winner, Allow me to quote what Cowboy said a while back, I can't put it any better than he did:

"Offhand shooting is one of the disciplines of the true marksman. Yes, there are a number of technical disciplines that require skill and fine equipment, but offhand practice indicates an adherence to a level of personal discipline not present in many.
Hang in there brother, you're in rare company". - Cowboy4 (Boyd)

Of the 126,470 members at RFC, maybe 20 or so compete here each month. That's about 1 in 6,323 ... "rare company", indeed !
My hat is off to all shooters here, whatever their equipment or ability !
In my book you are all winners !

Cheers,
Bob4BVM

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 02-08-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotpappy View Post
... The 10 ring is .787 inches ... highest score ever recorded in competition is a 193
The 10-ring diameter you show above is for the A26-5 50m target used in regular NRA Prone competition. The record scores shown were shot on either the A50-6 (50 metres) ... or the 'reduced-for-50-yard' A51-6 targets. Pretty much all the "corresponding" NRA targets are larger in diameter than the UIT targets.

The A50-6 50-metre target has a 10.4mm 10-ring and the A51-6 50-yard target uses one of 9.034mm. That's 0.409" and 0.356" respectively.

Incidentally, over the almost 80 years that I have been shooting in competition, there have been quite a few changes in many nominal target sizes ... and they've always gotten SMALLER with time - lol ! Logical of course ... as both shooters' techniques and equipment have improved with time, thus forcing the governing bodies to "thin out all the shooters at the top" with perfect scores.

Quote:
... Sure there is a bit of friendly competition going on too, if you like that, then pick a few guys near your scoring level and get a little rivalry going, but please don't feel like you have to be at the top of the pack to be a winner.
Anyone who stays at this game is a winner, Allow me to quote what Cowboy said a while back, I can't put it any better than he did:

"Offhand shooting is one of the disciplines of the true marksman. Yes, there are a number of technical disciplines that require skill and fine equipment, but offhand practice indicates an adherence to a level of personal discipline not present in many.
Hang in there brother, you're in rare company". - Cowboy4 (Boyd)

Of the 126,470 members at RFC, maybe 20 or so compete here each month. That's about 1 in 6,323 ... "rare company", indeed !
My hat is off to all shooters here, whatever their equipment or ability !
In my book you are all winners !
I'll second that motion . to me this has always been the goal of every real marksman/woman !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

Last edited by Fuzzy Limey; 02-09-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 AM
RichJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
cold and knee deep snow so I haven't been able to do an entire 50 round set. I know I'm mediocre at best and haven't been at it too long. With my eyes,bad shoulder and other worn out parts I get more satisfaction putting 10 rounds in the black (regardless of score) off hand then dime sized groups from the bench.
My story

Rich
Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Patriotpappy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The 10-ring diameter you show above is for the A26-5 50m target used in regular NRA Prone competition. The record scores shown were shot on either the A50-6 (50 metres) ... or the 'reduced-for-50-yard' A51-6 targets. Pretty much all the "corresponding" NRA targets are larger in diameter than the UIT targets.

The A50-6 50-metre target has a 10.4mm 10-ring and the A51-6 50-yard target uses one of 9.034mm. That's 0.409" and 0.356" respectively.
Absolutely correct Mick. I checked and rechecked but still got it wrong I had no idea there were so many different targets and governing bodies. I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy when attention to detail is needed.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
UL Mods ...

Just a selection of pics showing the transformation of a "stock" CZ.452 UltraLux into an Offhand/CMP-3P rifle ... !

Butt shortened ... cheekpiece hollowed out to fit my face with head erect in Offhand ... "padded" and re-contoured grip area ... butt drilled and two 5'8"D x 3" steel bolt weights added ... original CZ butt-plate replaced with old Ruger unit ... 2-1/2" vibro-damper installed behind front sight ramp !

Not yet finished, by the way ... still pondering the next stage - lol !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

Give anybody any ideas - lol ?

Last edited by Fuzzy Limey; 02-11-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 AM
C. Opalewski

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
Well put Sid,
Seems pretty unrealistic to me as well. That was part of what I didn't agree with in the article. Your golf comparison with the hole in one hits the nail on the head.
From what we've seen so far here, I WILL be most pleasantly surprised and happy if we ever see a 500/50X shot here. To your point, if we have a shooter that can do it repeatedly, well, that is what the Olympic Team Fund is for as stated in the rules. I put it there tongue-in-cheek, but if we have a guy or gal starting to shoot 500's I guarantee you we will get that fund rolling !!!

BTW, did you notice that 491 was shot with Iron Sights ? I wish Charlie O. would join us again...

Cheers
Bob

I'm still poking around here. I've had some nagging health issues keeping me from the range the last year or so. Planning on getting out much more often this summer if I can get the time. Glad to see that the match is still going strong. It's a nice little fun match to give me a break from the 50m training.

Charlie
Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Opalewski View Post
I'm still poking around here. I've had some nagging health issues keeping me from the range the last year or so. Planning on getting out much more often this summer if I can get the time. Glad to see that the match is still going strong. It's a nice little fun match to give me a break from the 50m training.

Charlie
Good to see youre still' here Charlie, looking forward to seeing you at the match again ! Get well
Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Limey View Post
Just a selection of pics showing the transformation of a "stock" CZ.452 UltraLux into an Offhand/CMP-3P rifle ... !

Butt shortened ... cheekpiece hollowed out to fit my face with head erect in Offhand ... "padded" and re-contoured grip area ... butt drilled and two 5'8"D x 3" steel bolt weights added ... original CZ butt-plate replaced with old Ruger unit ... 2-1/2" vibro-damper installed behind front sight ramp !

Not yet finished, by the way ... still pondering the next stage - lol !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

Give anybody any ideas - lol ?
Nice work on the stock Mick !
What does the blue thing up front do ?
I've been looking to make a bloop tube for my irons 82G, but haven't found right size aluminum tube yet.
I also added balance weight in buttstock like you did, cast a lead cylinder to the right weight.
Bob
Old 02-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The "Li'l Blue Thingie" is one of my home-made vibro-dampers ... also doubles as added weight up front to increase the moments of inertia of that end of the rifle which in turn dampens out some of the minor fluctuations in my personal "frequency of wobble" - lol !

At least that's what the book of words says !

Right now it's not fitted on the rifle as I work on the next phase of the stock modifications ... widening and deepening the forearm below the receiver "to stretch the reach" of my left hand. Pics in a day or two when I get all the final contouring finished.

After that I may move on to some more changes in the butt area, along with a palm rest ... have been mulling over making the rifle more "Schuetzen-like" ... not legal for any formal competition, but just a fun project whim - lol ! Have also been working on the idea of lengthening the forearm to an almost full-length arrangement with full length bedding for damping.

Now, if I could only stand on my own two feet and shoot like I used to, that would be perfect.

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 02-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Patriotpappy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Limey View Post
The "Li'l Blue Thingie" is one of my home-made vibro-dampers ... also doubles as added weight up front to increase the moments of inertia of that end of the rifle which in turn dampens out some of the minor fluctuations in my personal "frequency of wobble" - lol !

At least that's what the book of words says !

Right now it's not fitted on the rifle as I work on the next phase of the stock modifications ... widening and deepening the forearm below the receiver "to stretch the reach" of my left hand. Pics in a day or two when I get all the final contouring finished.

After that I may move on to some more changes in the butt area, along with a palm rest ... have been mulling over making the rifle more "Schuetzen-like" ... not legal for any formal competition, but just a fun project whim - lol ! Have also been working on the idea of lengthening the forearm to an almost full-length arrangement with full length bedding for damping.

Now, if I could only stand on my own two feet and shoot like I used to, that would be perfect.

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Mick, I hate to break the news to you but you're starting to sound like KSEATM (or he's starting to sound like you). Either way get yourself some Valium before your mind runs away with you.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Hey Pappy ... had to do a little "Searching" on that one ... had not heard of kseatm before ....so guessed he must show up on one of the sub-forums I don't frequent - lol ! Wow ! Almost 5000 posts in just a couple of years !

I don't think the Vallium - or whatever brand you prefer - would do much good ... on a slow day I've been known to get as much a 5 hours a sleep. After 80 years or so of stoning, whittling, gluing and sanding on almost every gun I've ever owned, it's just like breathing ... 10 fresh ones every minute !

Besides ... if I weren't down in the basement workshop making sawdust, SWMBO would think I was seriously ill or something. These days, if I happen to to be twiddling with some project that might offer some ideas of interest to the younger generation then I put it on-line, usually here on RFC nowadays, as I closed down my old "FuzzyLimey" website just over a year ago.

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 02-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Well ... as promised ... here's a few more pics showing the current progress with modding the CZ UltraLux into a CMP 3-P configuration, with emphasis on the Offhand stance.

Right now it's in the final medium-sanded stage, and will require the final smoothing before painting ... the weather is not cooperating for that right now, with all the snow and ice. The weight comes in at 7lb 7oz, and seems to fit me quite well in all three shooting modes. Maybe before Don's first match of the season in March I can get it all completed.

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

Last edited by Fuzzy Limey; 02-22-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Working At It

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice work on the UL Mick. I can't wait to see the finished project and hear how the changes have helped. I see that you added a Tech Sight in the last set of pictures. Is that what you plan to use in the off-hand matches?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Working At It

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
As long as I'm here, I thought I would pick your brains some more on stance and NPOA. I've been doing a little bit of dry fire with my new-to-me 82g. I pulled two of the spacers out and the LOP is now about 3/4" less than the distance from the inside of my elbow to the first knuckle on my trigger finger. This seems to provide a pretty comfortable reach for me. When I set up and settle in on my NPOA, my feet are a little wider than shoulder width and the rifle is about 15 degrees away from my shoulder line (a line to the target would pass through the front of my rear ankle and the big toe on my front foot). Does that sound about right? It seems like that angle is a bit bigger than it should be.