Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Kaiser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Send a message via AIM to Kaiser

Nice shootin' Deadwood, now you just need to find some HP ammo to give it a try.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think this was kind of asked by Fireman Frank(nice shooting by the way), but can I color in the bull to be all black or use an orange target dot over it for irons? It wouldn't change the size of the bull(probably be smaller anyhow). I took two of these targets out today, and with my aperture sights at 25 yards, I can pretty easily make out where the squirrel is, but I cannot make out where the bull is on the head. Out of the two targets I got 6 bull hits(3 each). I only missed the squirrel once(and I knew I did as I pulled it), but the other misses were in the neck area.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Kaiser

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpadiem View Post
I think this was kind of asked by Fireman Frank(nice shooting by the way), but can I color in the bull to be all black or use an orange target dot over it for irons? It wouldn't change the size of the bull(probably be smaller anyhow). I took two of these targets out today, and with my aperture sights at 25 yards, I can pretty easily make out where the squirrel is, but I cannot make out where the bull is on the head. Out of the two targets I got 6 bull hits(3 each). I only missed the squirrel once(and I knew I did as I pulled it), but the other misses were in the neck area.
That's fine if you want to put an orange circle sticker, or color the circle in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Tiring

I haven't had a chance to make the new targets (colored in squirrel head) but I tried the current ones with my Anschutz 17 HMR bolt action pistol. I couldn't get more than 3 hits today as I don't really know how one is supposed to shoot a pistol like this. I ended up shooting it like any other pistol as the eye relief of the scope made me hold it far out. If you think a rifle is hard (which it is) try using a heavy bolt action pistol.
I'll be back in the morning to try again. Very fun but expensive when you shoot .17 HMR. You should work for the ammo companies.

- Frank
Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Another rifle

I took another one of my rifles today to see if I could do any better. I still only managed a best of 5 hits but I am getting more comfortable shooting offhand. I didn't use the sling as it is more of a carry sling and I couldn't get comfortable with it so these are without a sling or shooting sticks.

The rifle - a Marlin/Glenfield 20 from 1979 ( I've owned it since it was new)

A close up to show the ammo used

Last edited by FiremanFrank; 06-09-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to name the rifle used.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
HEEGZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
very nice. if the weather holds off, i am hoping to get another attempt in tonight.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Thanks. I really like this game as success is more dependent on me and less on my having a good lot of ammo and no wind. This is one game that has become part of my permanent set of targets I take to the range.
Good luck on your shooting.

- Frank
Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I got a 5 today with my Ural, but on the way home I realized that I used SK Standard Plus ammo and it's not hollowpoint. I was playing around though with my old Stevens 66C(made in the 1930's) and did get a 4 with that and Remington Golden Bullets:

That was open sights, not apertures at 25 yards(it's the rifle I grew up with).

Here's my 5(which I know doesn't count), will have to try again with some Winchester 333's in my Ural as that's the HP's it likes:

IT was so close to being a 6, but shot #3 was just a hair to the right. Course it was also close to being a 3 as shot numbers 1 & 2 were just touching the ring.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
fr3db3ar
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Craig...the good thing is....in the real world....they're all dead
Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3db3ar View Post
Craig...the good thing is....in the real world....they're all dead
Thanks Fred.

I forgot to mark the bulls before I went to the range, so I shot 2 targets with the orange dots over the bulls and two with the bulls blackened in a little with a Sharpie I keep with me(which is what you see with the 5 score). With the orange dots, it didn't make it really any better with my apertures, but the black dots sure did. I printed out 4 more targets and made black bulls on each with my wide tip sharpie I have here at the house, there's about an eighth of an inch between the outer edge of my black and the outer ring used for scoring on this target so it should work pretty good. Just have to find time to get out there and tear away from the "rangerat " that always seems to try and keep me at the 50&100 yard benchrest range so I can go to the 25&50 yard range to do some offhand shooting(Gerald knows who I'm talking about ).
Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Yes I do......... , he was wanting me to help him with his Black Powder rifle yesterday, lol.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Kaiser

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Nice shooting guys, I'll add you to the list.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Oh boy will have to try this one . Didn't realize that it was up here in the BSS area also. I'll have to break out my CZ Trainer that is modified. Don't know how I can do with this but was able to take a crow with this rifle and Federal 510's at 135 yards.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Kaiser

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigrat View Post
Oh boy will have to try this one . Didn't realize that it was up here in the BSS area also. I'll have to break out my CZ Trainer that is modified. Don't know how I can do with this but was able to take a crow with this rifle and Federal 510's at 135 yards.
Wow that's some fancy shooting rigrat! Go old school, iron sights all the way

Hey Rigrat... I have a CZ related question for you... are there aftermarket aperture sights readily available for CZ rifles?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Hold on now I ain't that good, LOL. The CZ Trainer has a 3x9 scope on it. I seldom use the irons on it but they are stock. My eyes just aren't what they used to be.

Here's old picture of the rifle.

Here's a picture of it in a 10/22 stock that I fit to it. In this stock the weight is about 12 lbs. So its not the stock I typically use, LOL.