Appleseed Pistol Clinic - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:37 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Appleseed Pistol Clinic

Yes, the rumors are true... Appleseed now has an official handgun program.

"Training for Trainers" began last year at Port Malabar in Florida. Our Regional Coordinator was among those trained, and is now bringing the program to the Instructor Cadre in the South West.

Last month, a small group of Texas Instructors were invited to a special convening in Waco to be "trained up" in the Appleseed method of pistol shooting. Shoot Boss was the Southwest Regional Coordinator.

It was a one-day event, with Instructors trained in how to conduct a weekend Pistol Clinic and they did shoot the new COF now known as the PQT. More on that in a moment.

I was unable to attend the clinic. However, at the Instructor-only KD shoot we had this past weekend, we had the opportunity to shoot the course. I think only two of us shot a qualifying score.

None of us have patches, yet, but I think they may say "Pistolero" in place of "Rifleman." I do not have all of the details on the program yet.

So, here is the PQT course of fire, all shot at 7 yards with the handgun of your choice:

Stage 1: 10 shots in a time limit of 15 seconds, in magazines of 6 and 4. One target.

Stage 2: 10 shots in a time limit of 15 seconds, magazines of 6 and 4, mandatory transition between targets every two shots. There are two targets. Shots on paper would be 6 hits on the left, 4 hits on the right.

Stage 3: Two parts, both have a time limit of 15 seconds each. Part 1, 5 shots, left-hand only. Part 2, 5 shots, right hand only.

Stage 4: 10 shots, time limit of two minutes, four small targets. Hits on paper are 2, 2, 3, and 3. No mag change required.

Scoring is just like the AQT, with a max possible score of 250 and a 210 required to patch. Stage 4, like the AQT, is doubled in value. The targets are tombstone-shaped, kind of like the targets used in GSSF, but with scoring rings shaped differently (also tombstone-shaped). Max hit value is 5, lowest value is a 3 (unless you miss, lol).

I shot a 212 with zero warm up and no dry run of the PQT. I shanked a shot on the left-hand only phase, so there went five points, lol. Also, the gun I used (Browning Buckmark), I had just installed a new barrel two days earlier and it had not been zeroed... took me until Stage 2 to figure out where it was shooting. I know I could have done much better, as I am deeply immersed in the competitive pistol games. But I will also say this COF is not easy, by any stretch.

The other Redhat who qualified used my pistol; his first run through the PQT he scored in the 180's, then put it all together and shot a 216 on his second run (spanked me with my own gun!).

The neat thing about the Pistol Clinic is it has the potential to open new venues and new opportunities to get the Appleseed message to the public. Think about it: One of the obstacles we meet in finding a Rifle Clinic venue is that our activity requires a little more space and might shut down a public range for two days, reducing that range owner's profit opportunity. With a Pistol Clinic, you could set up at an indoor range in the heart of town. Most indoor ranges have target carriers, so there would be no need to disturb the range operation for other shooters. You could even hold the clinic over the course of several days, in the evenings, free from the limits of weather or darkness. And many indoor ranges also have classroom space that would be very useful. So much opportunity.

I do not know the expected timing of when this program will roll out to the masses... but it should be soon.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pistolseed sounds great, what size are the targets?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:55 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
comment deleted

Last edited by rwadley; 03-11-2020 at 02:19 PM. Reason: comment should have been sent privately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2020, 02:01 PM
PisgahProject
GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deleted

Last edited by PisgahProject; 03-11-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Deleted-private
Old 03-12-2020, 04:54 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
Pistolseed sounds great, what size are the targets?
There are four different size targets on the current COF, all are tombstone-shaped.

Stage 1 has a 5-value approximately 2x2.5. The 2-ring is quite large, 9.5x11.5. (All the stages have scoring values down to 2, Im just going to describe the 5-ring dimensions here)

Stage 2 the 5-ring is about 1.5x1.75

Stage 3 the 5-ring is about 1/8 bigger than stage 2

Stage 4 the five rings are about 7/8x1-1/8

I understand it is an evolving target, but most things change over time anyway.

The entire PQT as it stands fits on two target papers, each about 18x24.

I fired it again today and scored a 231 using my Buckmark. I plan to give it a whirl soon with a 3 barreled 44 magnum.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT92 View Post
There are four different size targets on the current COF, all are tombstone-shaped.

Stage 1 has a 5-value approximately 2x2.5. The 2-ring is quite large, 9.5x11.5. (All the stages have scoring values down to 2, Im just going to describe the 5-ring dimensions here)

Stage 2 the 5-ring is about 1.5x1.75

Stage 3 the 5-ring is about 1/8 bigger than stage 2

Stage 4 the five rings are about 7/8x1-1/8

I understand it is an evolving target, but most things change over time anyway.

The entire PQT as it stands fits on two target papers, each about 18x24.

I fired it again today and scored a 231 using my Buckmark. I plan to give it a whirl soon with a 3 barreled 44 magnum.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to participating! Probably will shoot my S&W Model 41 and one of my 1911's.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:08 PM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (29)
I really want to get my Rifleman patch, now a Pistollero patch as well. A local range is now doing Appleseeds every 2 months. I'm very excited.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 AM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I really want to get my Rifleman patch, now a Pistollero patch as well. A local range is now doing Appleseeds every 2 months. I'm very excited.
Normal Patches say "Pistoleer". You might be able to get one that says "Pistolero" in the Southwest US.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:32 PM
jlwilliams

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting. Will Pistolseed meets include the history talks during the breaks that the rifle events have?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:22 PM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
Interesting. Will Pistolseed meets include the history talks during the breaks that the rifle events have?
Yes, Appleseed Pistol will have history blocks. Some you may have heard before, but some you haven't.

Last edited by rwadley; 03-18-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Rychek
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a bit late to the party here, but this is awesome news! Hopefully these pistol sessions will be offered in my area (San Antonio).
Old 05-13-2020, 07:11 AM
NashvilleStage
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure they'll be offered everywhere that Appleseed has events. It's still in "beta" test to work the kinks out. Also, the virus panic put just about everything on pause for a while.

Trust me, we're just as excited as instructors to see this new program released!
Old 05-19-2020, 03:34 PM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT92 View Post
Stage 3: Two parts, both have a time limit of 15 seconds each. Part 1, 5 shots, left-hand only. Part 2, 5 shots, right hand only.

Stage 4: 10 shots, time limit of two minutes, four small targets. Hits on paper are 2, 2, 3, and 3. No mag change required.
For clarity, There are 5 stages.

Stage 3 is 5 shots in 15 seconds with left hand.
Stage 4 is 5 shots in 15 seconds with right hand.
Stage 5 is 10 shots, time limit of two minutes, four small targets. Hits on paper are 2, 2, 3, and 3. No mag change required.

Targets are 18"x22" each (set of two). The practice target used for drills is 8.5"x11" and is just a bullseye (a paper plate will suffice).
Old 05-19-2020, 04:59 PM
Spectralex

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will the Pistol clinic require holster for the firearm?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:47 PM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
No holster needed or desired. Bring the pistol or revolver unloaded in a case, please.