Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:01 PM
R4000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
Consistency in everything seems to be a key to achieving natural point of aim which is critical to accuracy. This applies not only to where you rest your cheek on the stock, but how you hold the rifle, how and where you position the butt on your shoulder how tight the sling is, how you position your finger on the trigger, etc, etc.

In theory, you could shoot with high accuracy using a slightly different method of holding the rifle, a slightly different trigger finger position, slightly different sling tension, and a slightly different cheek weld for each shot, but we all know that doesn't work. I think the muscle memory that results from refining your individual position and hold is essential to achieving a solid natural point of aim.
This is critical, so it is worth repeating. From the moment the trigger breaks until the bullet exits the barrel, your rifle is reacting. For consistent shot placement, the rifle has to react the exact same way every time. All of the issues that pblanc listed are important, and they all have to be the same with every trigger break, for the tightest groups. That includes how much force you apply when pulling the rifle into your shoulder and your cheek weld. It all has to be the same every time.

None of that has anything to do with paralax, which may or may not be important. It is a moot point if you are holding your rifle the exact same way every time with the exact same cheek weld.

The seminal post for this thread suggests that these alignment tools are just that. They are alignment tools, to help you hold your rifle the same way every time.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:05 AM
towndrunk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybowhunter View Post
Still using these devices.

I don't have a rear disc that would fit the ocular of that scope.

A match rifle competitor suggested I do what he does. Those paper reinforcements, we called them "paper ahole%$#" in the military. He said color one black, and center it up best you can. He uses that and he is a High Master.

I did and it absolutely tightened my groups up big time. I shot a 594-29X out of 600. That's 99% shooting on the 600 yards reduced to 200 yards target, the infamous MR52.

A fellow competitor saw what I was doing and he borrowed one from me for his last string of 20. He shot his highest score as well.

It works and it works well.

So..... for AS folks with scopes, give the paper reinforcement sticky a try. Sounds crazy huh? Try it.....it works.

We call it the "Norden Bombsight" for competition.

R/
Chris
I've been lurking this thread for a while and I finally thought I'd try one of those Norden Bombsights. I put it on an old Leupold vari-x iii mounted on my CZ Super BRNO UL. It was pretty amazing. This here was my best 5 shot group at 50 yards:

here is what it looks like on the scope:

Last edited by towndrunk; 04-17-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 PM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by towndrunk View Post
I've been lurking this thread for a while and I finally thought I'd try one of those Norden Bombsights. I put it on an old Leupold vari-x iii mounted on my CZ Super BRNO UL. It was pretty amazing. This here was my best 5 shot group at 50 yards:

here is what it looks like on the scope:
Right on! They work very well, nice shooting!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2020, 08:57 AM
eleventh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am rather new and not the best shot out there but... We had the same problem when I was a Drill Sergeant. The solution was a small ball of tape on the stock so proper cheek weld could be established quickly. We would have the solder get a good weld under supervision then put the tape on the stock. Not pretty but works.