Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Kdug32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 597 issue

Hi, new here, I just bought a Remington 597 and shot it and cleaned it. The bolt on the action will not stay open now without the magazine in it. The bolt does stay open with the magazine in it. However, the bolt will not move forward with the empty magazine in. I’ve heard some say this is normal and it will only move forward when the magazine is loaded and others say it should move forward empty or loaded. Anyone’s have any experience with this matter?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most semi autos do that. Among other things it facilitates a mag change, locks back on an empty mag to let you know it was the last shot, etc.
There is a little tab/lifter that is raised by the mag follower. It only lifts/engages on an empty mag to operate a bolt catch. There should be an external bolt release.

Should be in the manual. If no manual you can find something online or just look @ the rifle & find it.
Observe all safety precautions when fiddling with it.

https://goo.gl/images/NvLVoh Right side above front of trigger guard.

Last edited by Mike Clark; 12-07-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:46 AM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Kdug32,

That is the normal operation of the 597. It has a lever the pivots into the upward position when an inserted magazine is empty. What you are seeing is the correct operation of the Last Shot Hold Open, the way the 597 is designed to work.

Welcome again and good luck. Under the Remington section you will find stickies with good information on caring for your 597. They are a very good rifle.

Cheers.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 01:10 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Sounds normal for a 597. There is a tiny spring that operates the hold open lever. Watch for it when you take the rifle apart for cleaning. It is a common problem for the spring to get lost, bent, or just unhooked at one end.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC Kdug 32~
Lots of good info about your new rifle can be found in the Rem 597 Forum, more like anything and then some.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah I lost mine then lost the second one then I figured out that it really is not actually needed,without the spring it still operates with a magazine, still stays open when you drop the mag,and if,when cleared,you want it to lock open ,just a quick flip upside down and pull the bolt back ,and it locks open ready to inspect or insert a mag,with a full mag you just pull back on the bolt and release to lock and load.i found that the hole where the spring mounts in mine is oversize on mine and sloppy.i love my Marlins but once I worked all the bugs out the Remmy is not far behind but there is also my High Standard/ JC Higgins semis to consider,oh I am supposed to be receiving an orphaned malfunctioning or inoperable model 66 rRemmy soon ,can't wait!

Last edited by shootrj2003; 12-27-2018 at 05:21 PM.