Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All Zephyr II Owners

`

Last edited by kisssofdeath; 07-24-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM
jfraz3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have one, whatcha neediní to ask?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Miss-the-mtns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one in 22LR. Havenít fired mine yet, waiting for cool weather.
Itís set up with Versa-Pod bipod and Nightforce SHV 3x10x42 scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Soonerbob
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Those of you that have these.......how would you rate the wood? Lottery? Almost lottery or just ok.? Did you get to see the rifle before purchase or just take a chance?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:47 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There was another Zephyr thread can’t remember where and the consensus was the wood was average (ok). They thought for the cost the wood should have been a higher grade
Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm most pleased with the Euro. walnut on mine! It was sent to a shop nearby and when I saw it, I was ready to purchase it.

My opinion is that it shoots great, too. Nice rifle...!

Brittman
Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
Can I get a show of hands who owns a Zephyr II? Just received mine in today from Whittaker's. I have taken several photos but need to figure out how to post from a 3rd party website. I have a few questions but need to post the photos to show what I am talking about. Hopefully, if it doesn't rain I can shoot tomorrow.
I have two - the first a 22 LR purchased online, thus no preview ( bottom rifle in the pictures) the second a 17 HMR obtained from a LGS and my pick of two they had - the display model or the other still in the box unopened. I liked the non-display a bit better. As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so you will have to make up your own mind. Not a "wood lottery" in either case but acceptable. ( No sun today so you are seeing a bit more dull images ).

I have had one range session with the first one liked everything about that experience. I missed my range time this Monday, so I cannot provide any input on the 17 HMR as yet.

I am impressed with the overall design of the rifle. The trigger guard that many have complained about doesn't bother me one bit, nor does the gold trigger, or the plastic action screw covers. I feel it is a rather attractive design and based on the accuracy I saw with the 22 LR am very impressed thus far. I am one that likes to purchase a product and if possible use it as it comes out of the box without overhauling triggers, barrels, trigger guards, etc before making modifications. It took me 8 years before I replaced trigger springs on any of my 45x's with the ACE #144, but admit for the ones I use off the bench it is an effective & useful upgrade.

That said - to those who need to do that - more power to you.

I have Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO scopes and Brownell's Latigo slings on each rifle. The pictures show the 17 HMR on the top & the 22 LR on the bottom. I know I am going to enjoy shooting them both. The trigger is optimally set at the factory ( mine are both just under 2 lbs. It is a two-stage trigger with a fairly crisp break . . . not as crisp as other rifles I have but certainly doable for walk-around hunting and a little off-hand target shooting. My challenge will be getting use to a 2-stage trigger as most of my rifles are no creep, single stage or SST. The tang safety works great and allows the bolt to be opened in both safe & fire positions.

I talked with the Steyr Arms Support staff a bit. No documented or suggested specs on the action screw torque settings - mine are set right at 20" lbs per my torque wrench. CZ mags from my 455's interchange very well and are not quite as tight fitting as in the CZ which makes them easier to insert and remove. The barrels are free-floated and have the ever so slight external twist showing. I love the stock design with the integrated cheek piece and sculpted lines that flow up and over the pistol grip, under the body of the forearm then back up to the Schnabel forearm and the fish scale checkering is different but I like it on this stock design. As you can see my two stocks are very different however both have some unique wood character as one would expect from any two different pieces of wood. The stain is a bit lighter than my CZ's but the finish is very smooth and it fits the action well.

Yes, they are more expensive than my CZ 45x's, but think they are better out of the box as well, however, I have no plans to replace any CZ's with Steyr Zephyr's. If a 457 does get announced and made available in the US, I will certainly consider one. I will be keeping my eye out for a good price on the Zephyr II in 22 WMR as well. That would make a nice set . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0418.jpg (497.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0420.jpg (511.6 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 08-22-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Correct grammer & sentence wording
Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lets compare issues.

`

Old 08-22-2018, 08:16 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photos working

`

Old 08-22-2018, 08:18 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bad

`

Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Good

`

Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Comparison with other rifles

kisssofdeath - my initial outing saw no shell extraction/ejection issues on the first 150 rounds. I just went downstairs and ran a couple magazines ( using live rounds ) through each rifle and had no extraction problems and none of the cases I cycled through had any marks along the cases. I would contact Steyr Arms Support about that issue and you will probably end up interacting with "Herbert" . . . he was helpful on my questions.

I don't have a threaded barrel, however I see what you mean as to the noticeable difference. They should have at lease put their Mannox coating on the thread cap to lessen the difference. Making the outer twist match between the barrel and thread cap might be a bit challenging but am sure it could have been done.

Both of my rifles show a slightly recessed rear trigger guard attachment with a small space between the rear of the trigger guard and the cutout in the stock. Looking at the angle of the pistol grip starting to angle down at that point - that might be understandable, but yes, they could have matched that up a bit better. It's a better fit than most of my rifles, but non the less they could have done a better job. For those developing a replacement trigger guard - they should take that into consideration and make the rear portion a bit thicker so it is a flush fit. That doesn't bother me as I rarely look at the trigger guards that closely except when putting the action and stock back together.

Nice pics of your rifle.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Soonerbob
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Very nice photos of your rifle. The wood is awesome in my opinion. It is sad about the other things you are experiencing and I would certainly contact Steyr about the problems. I am considering one and if my stock is anything like yours, I will be thrilled. The other things......not so much.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:45 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have one....

Mine has darker wood than some I have seen. It has a little figure and is nice tight grain. The weight and handling is great.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Last edited by kisssofdeath; 07-24-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: To save another post. This ties in with my first resonse.