Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 AM
valley rancher
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sporting clays rabbit targets?

I bet some of you shoot sporting clays. Any tips for the on the ground rabbit targets. The place I go has one that is a gravity fed, barely moving roller that I seem to shoot right through and miss. The other rabbits are no cupcakes either.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM
tbarinpa

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I try to get on them as quick as I can. Yeah, I know, easier said than done, but the longer they roll the better chance of them popping up (gravity fed may not pop up). "Overthinking" a target is a commom problem in the shotgun sports.

Try shooting fast as almost a reaction and try not to "aim". The rabbit and the battue have always been the most challenging targets for me.

Good Luck,
Tbar
Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Trapdog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Head down.

Point low at its front “feet” keep the gun barrel moving and keep your head down on the gun.

Lots of folks including myself actually shoot in front of the clay. Another tip is to match the target speed with your gun movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM
dons
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
As I understand it, two ways to shoot sporting clays, depending on the target: Sustained lead or sweep through. If the rabbit is slow, I'd probably use a sustained lead of 2 or 3 target widths. The ones we shoot in our league are pretty fast and I've been doing pretty well with the sweep-through theory. Just sweep through the target and pull the trigger when the muzzle passes the target. I've only been shooting sporting clays for about 12 years now, so others with more experience may chime in. My mentors say most misses are caused by me stopping my swing, so I'm working on that.
At one point our rabbits' path was partially obscured by hay bales, and I was stopping before the bales - 5 or 6 years it took me to finally swing through the bales & hit the rabbit on the other side.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's the distance?
Does your gun fit you? Esp when you are aiming at the ground? I bet your sight picture changes. Keep your form and swivel at the hips.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:33 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
like I tell all new clay shooters WOOD TO WOOD--which is your head to stock and SWING BATTER BATTER--- keep swinging and follow thru. Good words to follow when shooting sporting clays or all clay target games.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
On rabbits, two things can help improve your success:

1) use the largest size shot allowed. That would be US#7.5's [.095" dia.] for NSCA targets and most sporty clay courses. Use 36 grams [1.25oz.] of shot @ roughly 1220fps or less. More velocity only subjects YOU to more thump, it isn't needed to break the rabbits.

2) on those rabbits that are in contact w/the ground, shoot them as Robert Churchill advised on shooting hares from a butt, i.e., you want to shoot up to a foot under the target w/the idea being that the shot cloud distort the collective pellets on striking the ground and disperse and also will pick up additional sand & gravel and ricochet that into the rabbit as well. This is particularly effective on those 'edge on' clay rabbits that seem impossible to break.

Those in the air or that have jumped? Well, you have to hit them directly; see item #1.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
DDickie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley rancher View Post
I bet some of you shoot sporting clays. Any tips for the on the ground rabbit targets. The place I go has one that is a gravity fed, barely moving roller that I seem to shoot right through and miss. The other rabbits are no cupcakes either.

Imagine the clay is a leaping rabbit and aim to hit its front paws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 01:10 PM
RUT
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
>>you want to shoot up to a foot under the target w/the idea being that the shot cloud distort the collective pellets on striking the ground and disperse and also will pick up additional sand & gravel and ricochet that into the rabbit as well.<<

Seriously, this works! (at least for me)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 AM
DDickie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
>>you want to shoot up to a foot under the target w/the idea being that the shot cloud distort the collective pellets on striking the ground and disperse and also will pick up additional sand & gravel and ricochet that into the rabbit as well.<<

Seriously, this works! (at least for me)

This works really well - and is also legal in competition shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk